User Authentication for NAT - Help

This is a discussion on User Authentication for NAT - Help ; i am currently running my linux machine as a internet gateway, running the following squid (as proxy) iptables (for transparent proxy and to route non-http traffic) dhcp (to allocate users auto ip and configuration ) if i only use squid ...

  1. User Authentication for NAT

    i am currently running my linux machine as a internet gateway, running
    the following

    squid (as proxy)
    iptables (for transparent proxy and to route non-http traffic)
    dhcp (to allocate users auto ip and configuration )

    if i only use squid then i can provide user authentication, but in the
    above situation using iptables and dhcp i have no control, on which
    user should have access to internet and which not. no. of clients is
    very large and handling raw ips for me will be very difficult. can i
    allocate ips via dhcp according to some user-authentication (so that i
    could make certian groups in iptables)????

    any help would be much appreciated.

    thanx in advance.

  2. Re: User Authentication for NAT

    TheElectron707 wrote:
    > i am currently running my linux machine as a internet gateway, running
    > the following
    >
    > squid (as proxy)
    > iptables (for transparent proxy and to route non-http traffic)
    > dhcp (to allocate users auto ip and configuration )
    >
    > if i only use squid then i can provide user authentication, but in the
    > above situation using iptables and dhcp i have no control, on which
    > user should have access to internet and which not. no. of clients is
    > very large and handling raw ips for me will be very difficult. can i
    > allocate ips via dhcp according to some user-authentication (so that i
    > could make certian groups in iptables)????

    No, user authentication and DHCP has absolutely nothing to do with each
    other.

    You should be able to authenticate/authorise by username at you proxy.

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/

+ Reply to Thread