K3b (SuSE 8.2) - new DVDRW shows as reader - Help

This is a discussion on K3b (SuSE 8.2) - new DVDRW shows as reader - Help ; I'm trying to use K3b under suse 8.2 but my burner (Lite-on IDE) shows as a reader in k3b setup. From googling I think it's because I'm not using IDE-SCSI for that drive (which appears as /dev/hdd). I know it's ...

  1. K3b (SuSE 8.2) - new DVDRW shows as reader

    I'm trying to use K3b under suse 8.2 but my burner (Lite-on IDE) shows
    as a reader in k3b setup. From googling I think it's because I'm not
    using IDE-SCSI for that drive (which appears as /dev/hdd). I know it's
    a newbie question but how do I tell linux to use that module (assuming
    that's what I need to do). Simply please - I'm new here!

    In case it matters I have a DVD reader on the same IDE channel.

    --
    spamtrap in place: to email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder.co.uk

  2. Re: K3b (SuSE 8.2) - new DVDRW shows as reader

    News-Text wrote:
    > I'm trying to use K3b under suse 8.2 but my burner (Lite-on IDE) shows
    > as a reader in k3b setup. From googling I think it's because I'm not
    > using IDE-SCSI for that drive (which appears as /dev/hdd). I know it's
    > a newbie question but how do I tell linux to use that module (assuming
    > that's what I need to do). Simply please - I'm new here!
    >
    > In case it matters I have a DVD reader on the same IDE channel.
    >
    > --
    > spamtrap in place: to email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder.co.uk

    Append 'hdd=ide-scsi' to your kernel boot line (in either Grub or Lilo
    configuration).

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: K3b (SuSE 8.2) - new DVDRW shows as reader

    Ben Measures wrote:
    > News-Text wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to use K3b under suse 8.2 but my burner (Lite-on IDE) shows
    >> as a reader in k3b setup. From googling I think it's because I'm not
    >> using IDE-SCSI for that drive (which appears as /dev/hdd). I know
    >> it's a newbie question but how do I tell linux to use that module
    >> (assuming that's what I need to do). Simply please - I'm new here!
    >>
    >> In case it matters I have a DVD reader on the same IDE channel.

    > Append 'hdd=ide-scsi' to your kernel boot line (in either Grub or Lilo
    > configuration).

    Thanks Ben, unfortunately I then couldn't even read from the drive.
    I'll keep looking!

    --
    spamtrap in place: to email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread