Problem with ext3 filesystem on Redhat 7.3 - Help

This is a discussion on Problem with ext3 filesystem on Redhat 7.3 - Help ; Hi We are running Notes on a redhat 7.3 with ext3 and have problem with a corrupted filessystem. Se the listing below [root@SSTnotesserver GOPRO]# ls -l totalt 552176 -rw------- 1 notes notes 9437184 feb 4 05:00 BVEJL20.NSF -r--r--r-- 1 notes ...

  1. Problem with ext3 filesystem on Redhat 7.3

    Hi

    We are running Notes on a redhat 7.3 with ext3 and have problem with a
    corrupted filessystem. Se the listing below

    [root@SSTnotesserver GOPRO]# ls -l
    totalt 552176
    -rw------- 1 notes notes 9437184 feb 4 05:00 BVEJL20.NSF
    -r--r--r-- 1 notes notes 282755043350 feb 3 16:16 GOPROSST
    -rw------- 1 notes notes 20391936 feb 4 05:04 gp21cuda.ntf
    -rw------- 1 notes notes 8388608 feb 4 05:00 GPARKIV.NSF
    -rw------- 1 notes notes 5552640 feb 4 05:04 lk21.ntf

    GOPROSST is rather big(282 Gb). The disk is a 9 GB disk.

    We have tried at startup to run:

    fsck.ext3 -p -v -y -f

    but it does not solve the problem. We do have backup, but it is bit
    old, so !!!!.

    Yours

    Claus Møller Madser

  2. Re: Problem with ext3 filesystem on Redhat 7.3

    [Followups set to COLH]

    In comp.os.linux.help Claus M?ller Madsen wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > We are running Notes on a redhat 7.3 with ext3 and have problem with a
    > corrupted filessystem. Se the listing below
    >
    > [root@SSTnotesserver GOPRO]# ls -l

    Do you know about -h as well? Much easier to read.

    > -r--r--r-- 1 notes notes 282755043350 feb 3 16:16 GOPROSST

    > GOPROSST is rather big(282 Gb). The disk is a 9 GB disk.

    It may be that it is a sparse file. Try ls -lhs. The number on the very
    left will be the amount of disk space it actually uses.

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/

  3. Re: Problem with ext3 filesystem on Redhat 7.3

    afro@archeron.dk (Claus M?ller Madsen) wrote in message news:<96a85f35.0402040145.4572509e@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi
    >
    > We are running Notes on a redhat 7.3 with ext3 and have problem with a
    > corrupted filessystem. Se the listing below
    >
    > [root@SSTnotesserver GOPRO]# ls -l
    > totalt 552176
    > -rw------- 1 notes notes 9437184 feb 4 05:00 BVEJL20.NSF
    > -r--r--r-- 1 notes notes 282755043350 feb 3 16:16 GOPROSST
    > -rw------- 1 notes notes 20391936 feb 4 05:04 gp21cuda.ntf
    > -rw------- 1 notes notes 8388608 feb 4 05:00 GPARKIV.NSF
    > -rw------- 1 notes notes 5552640 feb 4 05:04 lk21.ntf
    >

    > GOPROSST is rather big(282 Gb). The disk is a 9 GB disk.
    >
    > We have tried at startup to run:
    >
    > fsck.ext3 -p -v -y -f
    >
    > but it does not solve the problem. We do have backup, but it is bit
    > old, so !!!!.
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > Claus Møller Madser

    For future reference -- good idea to post the version # of the pesky
    utility.

    Been a few updates to e2fsprogs since RH7.3.

    Saw a similar post re: 7.3 that was cleared with a RH9 version
    installed. Look for e2fsprogs here:
    http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/lin...6/RedHat/RPMS/
    or check the projects home page here for latest version:
    http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/

    Not sure about what's in Fedora.

    I used this on Google:
    fsck.ext3 redhat 7.3

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled

  4. Re: Problem with ext3 filesystem on Redhat 7.3

    rdgentry1@cablelynx.com (P Gentry) writes:
    >afro@archeron.dk (Claus M?ller Madsen) wrote in message news:<96a85f35.0402040145.4572509e@posting.google.com>...
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> We are running Notes on a redhat 7.3 with ext3 and have problem with a
    >> corrupted filessystem. Se the listing below
    >>
    >> [root@SSTnotesserver GOPRO]# ls -l
    >> totalt 552176
    >> -rw------- 1 notes notes 9437184 feb 4 05:00 BVEJL20.NSF
    >> -r--r--r-- 1 notes notes 282755043350 feb 3 16:16 GOPROSST
    >> -rw------- 1 notes notes 20391936 feb 4 05:04 gp21cuda.ntf
    >> -rw------- 1 notes notes 8388608 feb 4 05:00 GPARKIV.NSF
    >> -rw------- 1 notes notes 5552640 feb 4 05:04 lk21.ntf
    >>

    >> GOPROSST is rather big(282 Gb). The disk is a 9 GB disk.

    Note that the size you see with 'ls -l' shows only the end-of-file
    pointer. ls -ls will show the number of blocks actually allocated
    to the file. It is perfectly legal albeit unusual to have a file which shows
    an EOF of 282GB on a 9GB drive, if most of the file is empty.

    scott

+ Reply to Thread