Linux, XP and the college lan - Help

This is a discussion on Linux, XP and the college lan - Help ; Ok I'm at college and we have a pretty strict policy on internet usage over the lan. We are only allowed 1 computer per student as we get 1 ip per student. Also I just started to run a linux ...

  1. Linux, XP and the college lan

    Ok I'm at college and we have a pretty strict policy on internet usage
    over the lan. We are only allowed 1 computer per student as we get 1
    ip per student. Also I just started to run a linux (mandrake 9.2) box
    and I have a dell laptop. Our room has both a 4 port hub and a
    wireless g router. I was wondering if there would be any way to rig up
    the room for both of my computers to be on the web? Thanks in advance
    for any help.

  2. Re: Linux, XP and the college lan

    M-Jiggle wrote:
    > Ok I'm at college and we have a pretty strict policy on internet usage
    > over the lan. We are only allowed 1 computer per student as we get 1
    > ip per student. Also I just started to run a linux (mandrake 9.2) box
    > and I have a dell laptop. Our room has both a 4 port hub and a
    > wireless g router. I was wondering if there would be any way to rig up
    > the room for both of my computers to be on the web? Thanks in advance
    > for any help.

    Your wireless router should be able to do Network Address Translation
    (NAT), allowing the computers on your side of the router to appear as a
    single computer to the college network. Failing that, your Mandrake box
    can do it although it might need a second network card.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT

    Also, all the wireless routers I've had access to are DHCP (Dynamic Host
    Configuration Protocol) enabled, which lets them assign network
    addresses to the connected computers. I suggest using that as well as
    NAT, since it's simpler to configure, especially when you want to add
    more computers. Just remember to set each computer's IP address
    configuration to dynamic.

    I don't recommend violating your college's network policy.

+ Reply to Thread