Trouble installating Real Audio on Fedora Linux - Help

This is a discussion on Trouble installating Real Audio on Fedora Linux - Help ; I am new to linux. -- I am having trouble installing Real Audio on Fedora linux. I am trying to install Real Audio. I installed Real Audio with the following command line: rpm -i rp8.linux20.libc6.i386.cs2.rpm The Real Audio installation screens ...

  1. Trouble installating Real Audio on Fedora Linux

    I am new to linux. -- I am having trouble installing Real Audio on Fedora
    linux.

    I am trying to install Real Audio. I installed Real Audio with the following
    command line:
    rpm -i rp8.linux20.libc6.i386.cs2.rpm

    The Real Audio installation screens are followed by a short sound and visual
    demo of Real Audio. After completing the installation, I could not find a
    Real Audio icon on the desktop or on the program menu. I am used to Windows
    program installations where a desktop icon and program menu item are
    automatically created as part of the installation process. I tried running
    the command line installation again, and got the message that the program
    was already installed.

    I believe I am missing some post-installation steps that must be completed
    with linux to create a desktop icon, program menu, and allow the program to
    respond when clicking on Real Audio icons with the web browser.

    Could someone give me a list of steps that I need to follow to finish the
    Real Audio installation on linux?

    Thank you

    Dave

  2. Re: Trouble installating Real Audio on Fedora Linux

    Dave wrote:
    > I am new to linux. -- I am having trouble installing Real Audio on Fedora
    > linux.
    >
    > I am trying to install Real Audio. I installed Real Audio with the following
    > command line:
    > rpm -i rp8.linux20.libc6.i386.cs2.rpm
    >
    > The Real Audio installation screens are followed by a short sound and visual
    > demo of Real Audio. After completing the installation, I could not find a
    > Real Audio icon on the desktop or on the program menu. I am used to Windows
    > program installations where a desktop icon and program menu item are
    > automatically created as part of the installation process. I tried running
    > the command line installation again, and got the message that the program
    > was already installed.
    >
    > I believe I am missing some post-installation steps that must be completed
    > with linux to create a desktop icon, program menu, and allow the program to
    > respond when clicking on Real Audio icons with the web browser.
    >
    > Could someone give me a list of steps that I need to follow to finish the
    > Real Audio installation on linux?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Dave

    I am assuming you are using the GNOME desktop. These steps may differ
    with other desktops.

    The first thing to know is that all
    RealAudio files are in /usr/lib/RealPlayer8, so if you need to
    find files, that's where they are.The problem is that at least as of
    RealAudio8, I don't think the RPM puts a .desktop file in the
    right place for it to appear in the menu. (That will make sense
    if your visit the links below).

    To create a new menu item manually, open the menu you want (eg. Multimedia) and
    hold down the RIGHT mouse button. Choose "Entire menu --> Add New item to this
    menu". That will pop up a Create Launcher menu.

    To add the command, click on Browse button next to the word Command.
    This will open up a file menu that lets you click your way to
    /usr/lib/RealPlayer8. Select 'realplay'.

    To add the icon, click on the button that says 'No icon' and a menu of icons
    will appear. If the RealAudio icon isn't in the list, click on the
    Browse button and browse your way back to /usr/lib/RealPlayer8.
    Choose 'rp7mini.xpm' as you icon.

    Either the icon will magically appear in your applications menu, or
    you may need to log out and log back in again for it to take effect.

    There's actually a lot more to editing GNOME menus, especially if
    you want to make changes take effect systemwide, and NOT be lost
    when you upgrade to a new release.

    Here are some links that do a good job of explaining GNOME menus:

    Read this first:
    http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

    http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.0/
    http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/menuediting.html