Looking for old Linux - Help

This is a discussion on Looking for old Linux - Help ; Does anyone here know where older versions of Linux can be donwloaded? Specifically, I'm looking for Mandrake 7.1 or 7.2. -- TIA, Charles A. Burge ------------------------ Work is never truly work unless you'd rather be doing something else. -- Bill ...

  1. Looking for old Linux

    --
    TIA,

    Charles A. Burge
    ------------------------
    Work is never truly work unless you'd rather
    be doing something else. -- Bill Cosby

  2. Re: Looking for old Linux

    Charles A. Burge wrote:
    > Does anyone here know where older versions of Linux can be donwloaded?
    > Specifically, I'm looking for Mandrake 7.1 or 7.2.

    Here's where you can download 7.2:
    ftp://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake-old/
    ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrake-old/

    Can I ask why you want an older version? Mandrake 7.2 was released
    almost 4 years ago and in that time Free Software has progressed a great
    deal.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  3. Re: Looking for old Linux

    Ben Measures wrote:

    > Charles A. Burge wrote:
    >> Does anyone here know where older versions of Linux can be donwloaded?
    >> Specifically, I'm looking for Mandrake 7.1 or 7.2.

    > Here's where you can download 7.2:
    > ftp://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake-old/
    > ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrake-old/
    >
    > Can I ask why you want an older version? Mandrake 7.2 was released
    > almost 4 years ago and in that time Free Software has progressed a great
    > deal.

    Cool... thanks for the links. I want it for some of the older packages
    that are no longer included in newer Mandrake releases, particularly the
    "real" levels for the game Sokoban and the "Matrix" screen saver. Also I
    want to try installing it on an older PC (PII 233) that isn't quite up to
    the task of running Mandrake 9.1.

    --
    Regards,

    Charles A. Burge

  4. Re: Looking for old Linux

    Charles A. Burge wrote:
    > Ben Measures wrote:
    >

    >>Charles A. Burge wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone here know where older versions of Linux can be donwloaded?
    >>>Specifically, I'm looking for Mandrake 7.1 or 7.2.

    >>Here's where you can download 7.2:
    >>ftp://mandrake.redbox.cz/Mandrake-old/
    >>ftp://mirror.fis.unb.br/pub/linux/Mandrake-old/
    >>
    >>Can I ask why you want an older version? Mandrake 7.2 was released
    >>almost 4 years ago and in that time Free Software has progressed a great
    >>deal.
    >>

    > Cool... thanks for the links. I want it for some of the older packages
    > that are no longer included in newer Mandrake releases, particularly the
    > "real" levels for the game Sokoban and the "Matrix" screen saver.

    lol, choosing an operating system by its screensavers?

    > Also I want to try installing it on an older PC (PII 233) that isn't quite
    > up to the task of running Mandrake 9.1.

    If you also have a faster computer, Gentoo (www.gentoo.org) might be
    suitable for you. Its totally customisable and optimisable so you can
    get your OS running lean and fast. In fact, I'm working in Gentoo right
    now on an old K6-233 clobbered together from old junk. Works a charm
    (though you might want fluxbox instead of Gnome for extra speed, mmm
    speed )

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?