Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem - Help

This is a discussion on Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem - Help ; OK, I have set up my network to make Fedora my server. My wife's laptop is running WinXP Home. I am able to see each computer from the other computer and can share files. I also am able to install ...

  1. Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem

    OK, I have set up my network to make Fedora my server. My wife's laptop is
    running WinXP Home. I am able to see each computer from the other computer
    and can share files. I also am able to install the two printers that are
    physically connected to the Linux box onto the WinXP box. I am not able,
    however, to get it to print from WinXP. I try to print a test page from
    WinXP and it says that the test page has been printed, but nothing happens
    at the printer. It's like it just disappears after leaving the WinXP box.
    Can anyone help with this? I don't know anything about cups, so do I need
    to do something with that?

    Thanks!!!

    --
    -- "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a
    difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -- President Ronald

  2. Re: Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem

    test000

  3. Re: Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:37:28 -0500
    "USMC Sniper" wrote:

    > OK, I have set up my network to make Fedora my server. My wife's laptop is
    > running WinXP Home. I am able to see each computer from the other computer
    > and can share files. I also am able to install the two printers that are
    > physically connected to the Linux box onto the WinXP box. I am not able,
    > however, to get it to print from WinXP. I try to print a test page from
    > WinXP and it says that the test page has been printed, but nothing happens
    > at the printer. It's like it just disappears after leaving the WinXP box.
    > Can anyone help with this? I don't know anything about cups, so do I need
    > to do something with that?
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > --
    > -- "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a
    > difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -- President Ronald
    > Reagan, 1985

    I don't know anything about cups either, but probably your output is in some queue, waiting for the print-server to be started and empty this queue to the physical printer.

    Concentrate your search in the cups docu on starting print-servers would be my first guess...

    Let me know how this ends if you'd like, I'm having similar setup here...

    \\\\||//
    ------------oooO---PapaBear----Oooo------------

    Jesus is alive! I spoke with Him this morning.

  4. Re: Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem

    USMC Sniper wrote:
    > OK, I have set up my network to make Fedora my server. My wife's laptop is
    > running WinXP Home. I am able to see each computer from the other computer
    > and can share files. I also am able to install the two printers that are
    > physically connected to the Linux box onto the WinXP box. I am not able,
    > however, to get it to print from WinXP. I try to print a test page from
    > WinXP and it says that the test page has been printed, but nothing happens
    > at the printer. It's like it just disappears after leaving the WinXP box.
    > Can anyone help with this? I don't know anything about cups, so do I need
    > to do something with that?
    >
    > Thanks!!!

    Point your browser to
    http://localhost:631
    on the Linux box and see if there are any jobs outstanding.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  5. Re: Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem

    test0001

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:55:16 +0100, biz wrote:

    > test000

  6. Re: Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem

    Hi Ben,
    I checked http://localhost:631 and did not see any outstanding jobs. I
    think that maybe my smb.conf file may not be correct. Here is what I have
    in it:

    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios name = Linux-Desktop
    server string = linux running samba 3.0.1
    hosts allow = 192.168.2. 127.
    load printers = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    max log size = 1024
    lock directory = /var/samba
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    password server = None
    security = SHARE
    encrypt passwords = no
    dns proxy = no

    [printers]
    comment = "All Printers"
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    public = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    use client driver = yes

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:18:06 +0000, Ben Measures wrote:

    > USMC Sniper wrote:
    >> OK, I have set up my network to make Fedora my server. My wife's laptop is
    >> running WinXP Home. I am able to see each computer from the other computer
    >> and can share files. I also am able to install the two printers that are
    >> physically connected to the Linux box onto the WinXP box. I am not able,
    >> however, to get it to print from WinXP. I try to print a test page from
    >> WinXP and it says that the test page has been printed, but nothing happens
    >> at the printer. It's like it just disappears after leaving the WinXP box.
    >> Can anyone help with this? I don't know anything about cups, so do I need
    >> to do something with that?
    >>
    >> Thanks!!!
    >>

    > Point your browser to
    > http://localhost:631
    > on the Linux box and see if there are any jobs outstanding.

  7. Re: Printing From WinXP to Fedora Problem

    USMC Sniper wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:18:06 +0000, Ben Measures wrote:
    >

    >>USMC Sniper wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK, I have set up my network to make Fedora my server. My wife's laptop is
    >>>running WinXP Home. I am able to see each computer from the other computer
    >>>and can share files. I also am able to install the two printers that are
    >>>physically connected to the Linux box onto the WinXP box. I am not able,
    >>>however, to get it to print from WinXP. I try to print a test page from
    >>>WinXP and it says that the test page has been printed, but nothing happens
    >>>at the printer. It's like it just disappears after leaving the WinXP box.
    >>>Can anyone help with this? I don't know anything about cups, so do I need
    >>>to do something with that?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!!!
    >>>

    >>Point your browser to
    >>http://localhost:631
    >>on the Linux box and see if there are any jobs outstanding.

    > Hi Ben,
    > I checked http://localhost:631 and did not see any outstanding jobs. I
    > think that maybe my smb.conf file may not be correct. Here is what I have
    > in it:
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = WORKGROUP
    > netbios name = Linux-Desktop
    > server string = linux running samba 3.0.1
    > hosts allow = 192.168.2. 127.
    > load printers = yes
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    > max log size = 1024
    > lock directory = /var/samba
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    > password server = None
    > security = SHARE
    > encrypt passwords = no
    > dns proxy = no
    >
    > [printers]
    > comment = "All Printers"
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > browseable = no
    > public = yes
    > writable = no
    > printable = yes
    > print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
    > use client driver = yes

    That looks fine to me. Have a look at the completed jobs (in
    localhost:631). See if the jobs are there but the printouts didn't appear.

    I take it you have the correct manufacturer's Windows XP drivers installed?

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?