Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled. - Help

This is a discussion on Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled. - Help ; Hey guys, and good day. Here is my problem: I recently downloaded and compiled a new kernel so I would have support for my new PCI ATA-133 RAID controller (Sil680 chip), and be able to access the HD that it ...

  1. Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled.

    Hey guys, and good day.

    Here is my problem: I recently downloaded and compiled a new kernel so
    I would have support for my new PCI ATA-133 RAID controller (Sil680
    chip), and be able to access the HD that it controlls. I compiled the
    kernel with support, made bzimage and tossed 'er place of the current
    /vmlinuz, then I try booting this new kernel I get the error message:

    Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=

    The problem is, I have tried init=/bin/bash and I KNOW that /sbin/init
    is in fact, valid and not corrupt.
    So I proceed onto figuring out what else could be the problem.
    So I realize that my root HD has changed, I was always booting with
    root=/dev/hda1 since my root hd is IDE controller 1, disk 1, partition
    1. The problem be that now that I have added support for this ATA PCI
    controller, I look and notice that the kernel finds the controller and
    it's attatched HD and assigns it as hda, successfully overriding my
    default root disk/partition. Now being half intelligent, I try and
    pass root as being everything from /dev/hdb to /dev/hdd with no luck
    of landing on my hard drive. It seems the kernel is not recognzing my
    standard IDE drives now that I have added support for this new PCI ATA
    controller, this is in deed my problem. The kernel version is 2.4.24.

    --K-sPecial

    p.s plz help me boot

  2. Re: Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled.

    In comp.os.linux.help Jack Whitman wrote:

    > Now being half intelligent, I try and pass root as being everything
    > from /dev/hdb to /dev/hdd with no luck of landing on my hard drive. It
    > seems the kernel is not recognzing my standard IDE drives now that I
    > have added support for this new PCI ATA controller, this is in deed my
    > problem. The kernel version is 2.4.24.

    So what _is_ it assigning to the other disks? I would think perhaps hde
    through hdg might be likely.

    Have a poke around in /proc/ide.

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/

  3. Re: Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled.

    Cameron Kerr wrote in message news:<4019ef8f@news.maxnet.co.nz>...
    > In comp.os.linux.help Jack Whitman wrote:
    >
    > > Now being half intelligent, I try and pass root as being everything
    > > from /dev/hdb to /dev/hdd with no luck of landing on my hard drive. It
    > > seems the kernel is not recognzing my standard IDE drives now that I
    > > have added support for this new PCI ATA controller, this is in deed my
    > > problem. The kernel version is 2.4.24.

    > So what _is_ it assigning to the other disks? I would think perhaps hde
    > through hdg might be likely.
    >
    > Have a poke around in /proc/ide.

    That's just the funny thing, it doesn't show the kernel assigning them
    any virtual devices, as it does when I don't have support for the RAID
    controller. Also I don't have access to /proc/ide on this Kernel
    (because I can't boot with it), I could although glance at it with the
    working kernel but that would of course be senseless. I will try grub
    once again, and pass it everything from hde to hdh(if it exists). Any
    further help would be of great appreciation.

    --Jack

  4. Re: Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled.

    Jack Whitman wrote:

    > Also I don't have access to /proc/ide on this Kernel
    > (because I can't boot with it),

    So boot it with init=/bin/sh and mount /proc

    Make sure that your kernel has support for both chipsets compiled in.
    Or, create the RAID drivers as modules.

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/
    Empowered by Perl!

  5. Re: Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled.

    On Friday 30 January 2004 00:03 Jack Whitman wrote:

    > Hey guys, and good day.
    >
    > Here is my problem: I recently downloaded and compiled a new kernel so
    > I would have support for my new PCI ATA-133 RAID controller (Sil680
    > chip), and be able to access the HD that it controlls. I compiled the
    > kernel with support, made bzimage and tossed 'er place of the current
    > /vmlinuz, then I try booting this new kernel I get the error message:
    >
    > Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=

    Thats a very confusing error message. IIRC, What the kernel is looking
    for at that point is an hd spec in the form of "init=hd(0,0)" IF the /
    directory is on /dev/hda1. The first 0 is the drive number, and the
    second 0 is the partition number on that drive that is thee /
    partition.

    --
    ---
    Cheers, Gene

  6. Re: Linux won't detect HD's with my PCI RAID controller enabled.

    Cameron Kerr wrote in message news:<401ae1df@news.maxnet.co.nz>...
    > Jack Whitman wrote:
    >
    > > Also I don't have access to /proc/ide on this Kernel
    > > (because I can't boot with it),

    > So boot it with init=/bin/sh and mount /proc
    >
    > Make sure that your kernel has support for both chipsets compiled in.
    > Or, create the RAID drivers as modules.

    I'm confused on how to tell it init=/bin/bash when I can't access my
    hard drive that has /bin/bash on it, maybe i'm missing something
    though and further explanation would help.

    I tried removing all raid support since, I don't even want to use it
    as a raid controller, just an ATA-133 controller.
    Yes to your final question, there is support for it's chip which is a
    Sil680 chip (support is under "Silicon" in the ATA/IDE section).

    --Jack

+ Reply to Thread