Best Linux distro. Need Advice - Help

This is a discussion on Best Linux distro. Need Advice - Help ; In an effort to divest myself from Microsoft, I am getting ready to setup a drive on my computer with Linux. My questions start with what is the best distribution. To start with? I am running a P4 box on ...

  1. Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    In an effort to divest myself from Microsoft, I am getting ready to setup a
    drive on my computer with Linux. My questions start with what is the best
    distribution. To start with? I am running a P4 box on a home network. I
    have a TRIOS II setup on it so I can rotate between 3 boot drives. I
    purchased Red Hat 6.2 some time ago, still in the sealed box. Probably not
    the best choice now, but I just don't know. Any help is appreciated.
    Pat

  2. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    Pat wrote:
    > In an effort to divest myself from Microsoft, I am getting ready to setup a
    > drive on my computer with Linux. My questions start with what is the best
    > distribution.

    That is more an invitation to an endless discussion...

    > To start with? I am running a P4 box on a home network. I
    > have a TRIOS II setup on it so I can rotate between 3 boot drives.

    NO idea what that is.

    > purchased Red Hat 6.2 some time ago, still in the sealed box.

    Better call that "years ago" - I used RH 6.2 about 2000/2001

    > Probably not
    > the best choice now, but I just don't know. Any help is appreciated.

    Best advice I can give:

    Download a Knoppix CD (www.knopper.net), burn it and _GO_.

    It runs off the CD and gives you full access to whatever - your own
    disks, your CD writer, network, internet...

    --
    Jeroen Geilman

    Analog bits courtesy of adaptr.

  3. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    Think very carefully about giving up on Microsoft. I am trying 2 live Linus
    distros, Knoppix, Mandrake On The Move. Mandrake, for me, was the easiest to
    run. I am also trying to run WinLinus 2003, which runs like a windows
    program.However, Linux is not for me.I am not of the computer generation. I,
    also, was looking for a Linux alternative before changing from Win 98 to XP
    Pro. I can't get any of these distros to run properly. I think they are
    boring, confusing, irrelevant. I think Linux is the creation of a group of
    people who have no life, are envious of Microsoft and are not doing computer
    users any favour. What's the saying "its better to go with the devil you
    know than the devil you don't know". Win 98 allows me to webcam, use email
    safely, surf, explore tons of freeware, listen to music stations, run any
    number of word processing applications etc. I am self taught, having never
    looked at a manual or taken a course. With such excellent protection as
    Norton Utilities, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, Windows allows me a safe
    reliable computing experience.I am now anxious to begin my XP Pro
    experience. Just my opinion.
    "Jeroen Geilman" wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    > > In an effort to divest myself from Microsoft, I am getting ready to

    setup a
    > > drive on my computer with Linux. My questions start with what is the

    best
    > > distribution.

    > That is more an invitation to an endless discussion...
    >
    > > To start with? I am running a P4 box on a home network. I
    > > have a TRIOS II setup on it so I can rotate between 3 boot drives.

    > NO idea what that is.

    > > purchased Red Hat 6.2 some time ago, still in the sealed box.

    > Better call that "years ago" - I used RH 6.2 about 2000/2001
    >
    > > Probably not
    > > the best choice now, but I just don't know. Any help is appreciated.

    > Best advice I can give:
    >
    > Download a Knoppix CD (www.knopper.net), burn it and _GO_.
    >
    > It runs off the CD and gives you full access to whatever - your own
    > disks, your CD writer, network, internet...
    >
    > --
    > Jeroen Geilman
    >
    > Analog bits courtesy of adaptr.

  4. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    pixturesk wrote:
    > Think very carefully about giving up on Microsoft. I am trying 2 live Linus
    > distros, Knoppix, Mandrake On The Move. Mandrake, for me, was the easiest to
    > run. I am also trying to run WinLinus 2003, which runs like a windows
    > program.However, Linux is not for me.I am not of the computer generation. I,
    > also, was looking for a Linux alternative before changing from Win 98 to XP
    > Pro. I can't get any of these distros to run properly. I think they are
    > boring, confusing, irrelevant. I think Linux is the creation of a group of
    > people who have no life, are envious of Microsoft and are not doing computer
    > users any favour. What's the saying "its better to go with the devil you
    > know than the devil you don't know". Win 98 allows me to webcam, use email
    > safely, surf, explore tons of freeware, listen to music stations, run any
    > number of word processing applications etc. I am self taught, having never
    > looked at a manual or taken a course. With such excellent protection as
    > Norton Utilities, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, Windows allows me a safe
    > reliable computing experience.I am now anxious to begin my XP Pro
    > experience. Just my opinion.

    Wow, you out trolling?

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  5. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    "pixturesk" wrote in message news:...
    > Think very carefully about giving up on Microsoft. I am trying 2 live Linus
    > distros, Knoppix, Mandrake On The Move. Mandrake, for me, was the easiest to
    > run. I am also trying to run WinLinus 2003, which runs like a windows
    > program.However, Linux is not for me.I am not of the computer generation. I,
    > also, was looking for a Linux alternative before changing from Win 98 to XP
    > Pro. I can't get any of these distros to run properly. I think they are
    > boring, confusing, irrelevant. I think Linux is the creation of a group of
    > people who have no life, are envious of Microsoft and are not doing computer
    > users any favour. What's the saying "its better to go with the devil you
    > know than the devil you don't know". Win 98 allows me to webcam, use email
    > safely, surf, explore tons of freeware, listen to music stations, run any
    > number of word processing applications etc. I am self taught, having never
    > looked at a manual or taken a course. With such excellent protection as
    > Norton Utilities, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, Windows allows me a safe
    > reliable computing experience.I am now anxious to begin my XP Pro
    > experience. Just my opinion.

    Um. Has anyone read the news regarding MyDoom?

    Best to stick with Linux.

  6. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    Mattias Honrendgard wrote:
    > Um. Has anyone read the news regarding MyDoom?
    >
    > Best to stick with Linux.

    If that's sarcastic then you definitely haven't read the news.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  7. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    My Doom is a minor inconvenience when compared to the "reasonably
    consistent" reliability of Windows. I see by the variety of problem
    questions on this forum that Linux is not exactly "clear sailing".
    news:dd394218.0401300856.6229b631@posting.google.c om...

    > > Think very carefully about giving up on Microsoft. I am trying 2 live

    Linus
    > > distros, Knoppix, Mandrake On The Move. Mandrake, for me, was the

    easiest to
    > > run. I am also trying to run WinLinus 2003, which runs like a windows
    > > program.However, Linux is not for me.I am not of the computer

    generation. I,
    > > also, was looking for a Linux alternative before changing from Win 98 to

    XP
    > > Pro. I can't get any of these distros to run properly. I think they are
    > > boring, confusing, irrelevant. I think Linux is the creation of a group

    of
    > > people who have no life, are envious of Microsoft and are not doing

    computer
    > > users any favour. What's the saying "its better to go with the devil you
    > > know than the devil you don't know". Win 98 allows me to webcam, use

    email
    > > safely, surf, explore tons of freeware, listen to music stations, run

    any
    > > number of word processing applications etc. I am self taught, having

    never
    > > looked at a manual or taken a course. With such excellent protection as
    > > Norton Utilities, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, Windows allows me a safe
    > > reliable computing experience.I am now anxious to begin my XP Pro
    > > experience. Just my opinion.

    > Um. Has anyone read the news regarding MyDoom?
    >
    > Best to stick with Linux.

  8. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    pixturesk wrote:
    > My Doom is a minor inconvenience when compared to the "reasonably
    > consistent" reliability of Windows.

    I've found that when it (Windows) works, it really does work quite well.

    When it doesn't you're f****d. Damn hard to get a non-booting Windows
    system back up and running. Damn hard to do something simple such as
    concatenation of all the files in a directory. Etc, Etc.

    You can only do what "they" have thought you likely to do. That
    limitation is not good enough for me.

    > I see by the variety of problem
    > questions on this forum that Linux is not exactly "clear sailing".

    The flaw with that argument is that people who _do_ find it "clear
    sailing" don't post problems. Hence all you see are problems.

    A clearer view is the ratio of good questions
    (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) to good solutions.
    In my experience Linux newsgroups have more solutions to problems.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  9. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    Thanks for your input Ben. On the contrary, getting a non-booting Windows OS
    up + running again is quite simple, without sacrificing any data. I am not
    of the computer generation, self taught, trial + error. I am using Win 98. I
    have successfully re-install this OS several times when it won't work
    because of my error. With a proper Win 98 startup floppy which can trigger
    your cd player, the process is quite simple. Just re-install the OS to a
    different directory. This will require that you have your product key. Then
    you can transfer your data to the new Windows directory, although you will
    have to re-install some peripheral drivers plus your software applications
    (eg office program, newer internet browser, virus protection etc), after
    which, if things are working well, you can safely delete the corrupt
    original Windows directory.
    In fact, I just got through trying to run the PClinux live cd system but it
    would not even load. The forum on their site was of no help. There is far
    more useful, relevant help for Windows OS than for Linux. Whenever, I have
    a Win 98 problem, I can get accurate help very quickly. There is a terrific
    help forum at www.thecomputermechanics.com, which tries to answer, for free,
    any computer question, either Windows or Linux or anything. I can now, with
    a free conscience, begin to explore the intelligence + sophistication of XP
    PRO. After wasting many hours trying to get linux to work, I can now see why
    it will never become a mainstream operating system. But each to his own.
    Thanks, again.
    "Ben Measures" wrote in message
    > pixturesk wrote:
    > > My Doom is a minor inconvenience when compared to the "reasonably
    > > consistent" reliability of Windows.

    > I've found that when it (Windows) works, it really does work quite well.
    >
    > When it doesn't you're f****d. Damn hard to get a non-booting Windows
    > system back up and running. Damn hard to do something simple such as
    > concatenation of all the files in a directory. Etc, Etc.
    >
    > You can only do what "they" have thought you likely to do. That
    > limitation is not good enough for me.
    >
    > > I see by the variety of problem
    > > questions on this forum that Linux is not exactly "clear sailing".

    > The flaw with that argument is that people who _do_ find it "clear
    > sailing" don't post problems. Hence all you see are problems.
    >
    > A clearer view is the ratio of good questions
    > (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) to good solutions.
    > In my experience Linux newsgroups have more solutions to problems.
    >
    > --
    > Ben M.
    >
    > ----------------
    > What are Software Patents for?
    > To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies.
    >
    > What do Software Patents do?
    > In its current form, they protect only companies with
    > big legal departments as they:
    > a.) Patent everything no matter how general
    > b.) Sue everybody. Even if the patent can be argued
    > invalid, small companies can ill-afford the
    > typical $500k cost of a law-suit (not to mention
    > years of harassment).
    >
    > Don't let them take away your right to program
    > whatever you like. Make a stand on Software Patents
    > before its too late.
    >
    > Read about the ongoing battle at http://swpat.ffii.org/
    > ----------------

  10. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    Ben Measures wrote:

    > In my experience Linux newsgroups have more solutions to problems.

    And less 'by design' problems.

  11. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:44:01 +0000, "pixturesk"
    wrote in message

    > Thanks for your input Ben. On the contrary, getting a non-booting Windows
    > OS up + running again is quite simple, without sacrificing any data. I am
    > not of the computer generation, self taught, trial + error. I am using Win
    > 98. I have successfully re-install this OS several times when it won't
    > work because of my error. With a proper Win 98 startup floppy which can
    > trigger your cd player, the process is quite simple. Just re-install the
    > OS to a different directory. This will require that you have your product
    > key. Then you can transfer your data to the new Windows directory,
    > although you will have to re-install some peripheral drivers plus your
    > software applications (eg office program, newer internet browser, virus
    > protection etc), after which, if things are working well, you can safely
    > delete the corrupt original Windows directory.

    Well, good for you. Did you know that in Linux things like corruption of
    the operating system files almost never occurs? And when it does, it's
    usually the result of the user doing something bone-headed like running as
    root all the time?

    Incidentally, did you know that in the 2+ years I have used Linux that I
    have *never* had to reinstall?

    > In fact, I just got through trying to run the PClinux live cd system but
    > it would not even load. The forum on their site was of no help.

    Did you actually post a question there? I just scanned the subjects in
    the last month or so of postings, and could find no question that had to
    do with the problem you describe.

    > There is far more useful, relevant help for Windows OS than for Linux.

    Actually, I have found that there are very few problems that can't be
    solved on Linux by just doing a Google search.

    > Whenever, I have a Win 98 problem, I can get accurate help very quickly.
    > There is a terrific help forum at www.thecomputermechanics.com, which
    > tries to answer, for free, any computer question, either Windows or
    > Linux or anything.

    I have found the same to be true with Linux. The only difference being
    that there is not just one help forum, there are several.

    > I can now, with a free conscience, begin to explore the intelligence +
    > sophistication of XP PRO.

    *Guffaw*

    > After wasting many hours trying to get linux to work, I can now see why
    > it will never become a mainstream operating system. But each to his own.
    > Thanks, again.

    Yes indeed, "to each his own." I have found that I have had less trouble
    with Linux than with Windows, personally. And if there is a problem
    getting it to boot, I have a Knoppix CD that allows me to have a graphical
    interface and an internet connection so that I can search the web for
    solutions to my problem, and send e-mails and Usenet posts to people who
    can help me with my problem. Furthermore, these problems are always easier
    to correct, and do not require any dangerous mucking about with a
    "registry."

    Also, I have plenty of programs that work with Linux, including a MS
    Office compatible office suite, my choice of internet browsers, e-mail
    clients, games, graphics programs, etc. (no virus protection software
    needed, of course).

    So before you go shooting your mouth off about how Linux will "never
    become a mainstream operating system," you might want to consider that not
    only have many people gotten it to work, and work well, not to mention the
    fact that not all of them are computer geniuses, but also that people are
    using Linux on the desktop in increasing numbers. In fact, IBM plans to
    move their corporate desktops to Linux in 2005.

    --
    Peter: Hey, Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits! It says, "Oooooo."
    Brian: Those are Cheerios.

  12. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice [OT]

    pixturesk wrote:
    > "Ben Measures" wrote in message
    >
    >>pixturesk wrote:
    >>
    >>>My Doom is a minor inconvenience when compared to the "reasonably
    >>>consistent" reliability of Windows.

    >>I've found that when it (Windows) works, it really does work quite well.
    >>
    >>When it doesn't you're f****d. Damn hard to get a non-booting Windows
    >>system back up and running. Damn hard to do something simple such as
    >>concatenation of all the files in a directory. Etc, Etc.
    >>
    >>You can only do what "they" have thought you likely to do. That
    >>limitation is not good enough for me.
    >>

    >>>I see by the variety of problem
    >>>questions on this forum that Linux is not exactly "clear sailing".

    >>The flaw with that argument is that people who _do_ find it "clear
    >>sailing" don't post problems. Hence all you see are problems.
    >>
    >>A clearer view is the ratio of good questions
    >>(http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) to good solutions.
    >>In my experience Linux newsgroups have more solutions to problems.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ben M.

    > Thanks for your input Ben. On the contrary, getting a non-booting Windows OS
    > up + running again is quite simple, without sacrificing any data. I am not
    > of the computer generation, self taught, trial + error. I am using Win 98. I
    > have successfully re-install this OS several times when it won't work
    > because of my error. With a proper Win 98 startup floppy which can trigger
    > your cd player, the process is quite simple. Just re-install the OS to a
    > different directory. This will require that you have your product key. Then
    > you can transfer your data to the new Windows directory, although you will
    > have to re-install some peripheral drivers plus your software applications
    > (eg office program, newer internet browser, virus protection etc), after
    > which, if things are working well, you can safely delete the corrupt
    > original Windows directory.

    This is just what I mean by damn hard to get back up and running. In
    most cases of a non-booting Windows system you have no choice but to do
    a total Windows reinstall.

    This in itself is not the "hard work" part. Its the loading of all the
    many driver files needed, the downloading and updating of all the
    Windows/IE/OE/WMP patches needed for a "safe" system, and especially
    transfer of application data. Damned hard work.

    To fix a non-booting Linux system you never have to reinstall unless
    your HDD is corrupted. Even if your HDD does corrupt, there are measures
    you can take to allow for a "running" system that can adjust to work
    around these sectors. (However, it is definitely recommended you throw
    away corrupt HDDs anyways unless its unimportant if it "throws away"
    your data. )

    > In fact, I just got through trying to run the PClinux live cd system but it
    > would not even load. The forum on their site was of no help.

    Then you should have tried another forum, or another Linux distribution.
    Just because one distro didn't work for you doesn't mean anything about
    Linux in general.

    > There is far more useful, relevant help for Windows OS than for Linux.

    I find this hard to believe - in my trawls through both Windows and
    Linux newsgroups and mailing-lists I have come across far many 'experts'
    in Linux than Windows.

    > Whenever, I have a Win 98 problem, I can get accurate help very quickly.

    I don't mean to be superior but are these problems such as not being
    able to find how to change OE to leave messages on the POP3 server for a
    few days after collection?

    I personally don't consider that to be a big problem. I would consider
    something like Win 98 suddenly deciding one day not to boot, and not
    telling me anything in bootlog.txt about what issue it has now, to be a
    big problem. I now have to reinstall Windows. This happens all too often.

    I got fed up and went over to Linux. Now, I'm not a Linux 'fanatic' just
    because I like all the other Linux fanatics. I just appreciate Linux
    because it doesn't treat me like an idiot and allows me to fix it,
    giving me all the feedback I need to do this.

    If only Windows didn't consider everybody a fool and let me tinker with
    and perhaps even fix my OS, I would probably use it and forget about the
    others.

    > After wasting many hours trying to get linux to work, I can now see why
    > it will never become a mainstream operating system.

    I don't reckon you know what Linux's main objective is - 'going
    mainstream' it ain't. Linus just wanted a free (not beer) Unix system
    and a kernel that you could use for anything you want.

    'Going mainstream' is just a side effect of this flexibility. That
    doesn't matter much of the Linux users out there, who are happy with
    what they've got.

    > But each to his own.
    > Thanks, again.

    Yep. I don't really care what anyone else does or uses - all I can
    really say is that Linux is what has worked for me, and its been a
    welcome relief.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

  13. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice [OT]

    Thanks again, Ben. The forum I went to was on the PClinux site, was their
    own forum. Then I got the solution myself. PClinux boots up at 1024x768 as
    the default screen resolution which requires a monitor that operates at
    70hrz. Mine is an older monitor so the solution was to change the screen
    resolution, at the boot prompt, at setup to 800x600. The boot up went
    perfectly after that. Someone on their forum was telling me about the 70 hrz
    requirement, but as a non-techie, it made no sense.That's where a step by
    step list of instructions with screenshots might make the process much
    easier for newbies. Once going, I thought it very similar to Knoppix +
    Mandrake On The Move from which it draws its componenets. I am continuing to
    play with these 3 distros. I want to give them a fair shake.
> [...]

    > > Thanks, again.

    > Yep. I don't really care what anyone else does or uses - all I can
    > really say is that Linux is what has worked for me, and its been a
    > welcome relief.
    >
    > --
    > Ben M.
    >
    > ----------------
    > What are Software Patents for?
    > To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies.
    >
    > What do Software Patents do?
    > In its current form, they protect only companies with
    > big legal departments as they:
    > a.) Patent everything no matter how general
    > b.) Sue everybody. Even if the patent can be argued
    > invalid, small companies can ill-afford the
    > typical $500k cost of a law-suit (not to mention
    > years of harassment).
    >
    > Don't let them take away your right to program
    > whatever you like. Make a stand on Software Patents

  14. Re: Best Linux distro. Need Advice [OT]

    pixturesk wrote:
    > Thanks again, Ben. The forum I went to was on the PClinux site, was their
    > own forum. Then I got the solution myself. PClinux boots up at 1024x768 as
    > the default screen resolution which requires a monitor that operates at
    > 70hrz. Mine is an older monitor so the solution was to change the screen
    > resolution, at the boot prompt, at setup to 800x600. The boot up went
    > perfectly after that. Someone on their forum was telling me about the 70 hrz
    > requirement, but as a non-techie, it made no sense.That's where a step by
    > step list of instructions with screenshots might make the process much
    > easier for newbies. Once going, I thought it very similar to Knoppix +
    > Mandrake On The Move from which it draws its componenets. I am continuing to
    > play with these 3 distros. I want to give them a fair shake.

    :-D *big grin*.

    Its always good to see somebody new trying Linux and start their journey
    of increasing knowledge/freedom.

    I hope you go far,

    --
    Ben M.