Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device) - Help

This is a discussion on Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device) - Help ; Hello all, I have installed Debian 3.0, on a Intel 815 chipset motherboard that has an onboard video card. I have not been able to get X Windows to start. In the log it shows: (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open ...

  1. Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)

    Hello all,

    I have installed Debian 3.0, on a Intel 815 chipset motherboard that has an
    onboard video card. I have not been able to get X Windows to start. In the
    log it shows:
    (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)
    (EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available. Make sure your kernel has
    agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.

    So, I installed XFree86 4.3.0, and that did not fix the problem. So I have
    searched the net for this error, and have came up with a lot. But nothing
    works, I have try:

    # MAKEDEV agpgart

    did nothing, went to a blank prompt.

    # modprobe agpgart

    Give me an error telling me couldn't locate the module!

    I all so see a lot of stuff on the net telling me to install the 'agpgart.o'
    module??? I don't know how.

    I'm a 2 week old Linux newbe!

    Thanks for your time and help.

    Nick

  2. Re: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)

    Nick Hesson wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have installed Debian 3.0, on a Intel 815 chipset motherboard that has an
    > onboard video card. I have not been able to get X Windows to start. In the
    > log it shows:
    > (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)
    > (EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available. Make sure your kernel has
    > agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.

    When you see the "No such device", that means that there is no kernel
    support installed for the "file" its accessing, /dev/agpgart. It does
    not mean that /dev/agpgart is missing (that would result in "No such
    file or directory")

    Did you compile your own kernel? I'm guessing not, since you say you're
    only a 2-week old newbie.

    I suggest you check to see if the modules are indeed installed. Under
    Linux, the modules for the kernel version can be found under
    /lib/modules/`uname -r`

    `uname -r` is command that will expand to whatever the kernel version is
    that is running on that system. On my system, that would be the
    following.

    $ uname -r
    2.4.22

    (Which I should upgrade, btw, due to a security problem). So, I should
    have a directory /lib/modules/2.4.22/ The contents of that directory
    should look something like the following.

    $ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`
    build kernel modules.dep
    modules.generic_string modules.ieee1394map modules.isapnpmap
    modules.parportmap modules.pcimap modules.pnpbiosmap
    modules.usbmap net pcmcia

    If you don't get something similar (if you don't you probably don't get
    anything at all), then you need to install the kernel-modules. On your
    Debian CD, there should be a package called kernel-modules-2.x.x.*.deb.
    The actual name will depend on what kernel you installed.

    Actually, come to think of it, you may have a 2.2 kernel instead (come
    to think of it, you will have if you didn't tell it to use the bf24
    install flavour.) In this case, you may have to upgrade your kernel.

    You can find out which one are available for you to use with apt using
    the following.

    apt-cache search kernel-image

    Select one of them, then you can use

    apt-get insteall kernel-image-

    I hope this will get you on your feet. Don't forget to install the
    xserver-xfree86 package so you can configure X easily.

    Have fun.
    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/