Can I grab another teminal session? - Help

This is a discussion on Can I grab another teminal session? - Help ; If I have two teminal sessions open, can I swap between them? If so how? Thanks...

  1. Can I grab another teminal session?

    If I have two teminal sessions open, can I swap between them? If so how?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Can I grab another teminal session?

    Lorenzo Thurman wrote:

    > If I have two teminal sessions open, can I swap between them? If so how?
    > Thanks

    Depends.

    You can open more terminals of course and click on them. :P

    if you have Gnome desktop (maybe all have I dont know.) use:
    ctrl-shift-t
    which open a new fresh tab on the same terminal.

    You can use ctrl-shift-c and ctrl-shift-v for copy/paste between
    terminalsessions.

    Did I answer your question?
    What is it excactly what you want?

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  3. Re: Can I grab another teminal session?

    Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
    > If I have two teminal sessions open, can I swap between them? If so how?
    > Thanks

    Are you wanting to snoop on another TTY/PTY? Or are you wanting to
    multiplex terminals?

    If the latter, you should have a look at screen, which will be available
    on standard distributions. I have written a brief tutorial about it on
    my website.

    http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/pub/docs/screen-dunlug.php

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/

  4. Re: Can I grab another teminal session?

    In article <4017ba22$0$333$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Erwin Moller
    wrote:

    > Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
    >
    > > If I have two teminal sessions open, can I swap between them? If so how?
    > > Thanks

    > Depends.
    >
    > You can open more terminals of course and click on them. :P
    >
    > if you have Gnome desktop (maybe all have I dont know.) use:
    > ctrl-shift-t
    > which open a new fresh tab on the same terminal.
    >
    > You can use ctrl-shift-c and ctrl-shift-v for copy/paste between
    > terminalsessions.
    >
    > Did I answer your question?
    > What is it excactly what you want?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Erwin Moller

    Not exactly, I probably did not explain myself very well. Maybe an
    example will help:

    I have a terminal session open on computer A and some process is running.
    I go to compter B and open a teminal session and ssh into computer A.
    I want to monitor the process on computer A from the terminal session
    opened on computer B. Is this possible? I know I can do things like ps
    to see where things are, but can I "grab" that terminal session running
    on computer A and see it from computer B?

    I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

  5. Re: Can I grab another teminal session?

    Lorenzo Thurman wrote:

    > I have a terminal session open on computer A and some process is running.
    > I go to compter B and open a teminal session and ssh into computer A.
    > I want to monitor the process on computer A from the terminal session
    > opened on computer B. Is this possible? I know I can do things like ps
    > to see where things are, but can I "grab" that terminal session running
    > on computer A and see it from computer B?

    You can do this using screens multi-window attachment (screen -x),
    however, it does require that you start the process on computer A from
    within screen.

    Otherwise, no. You can cat /dev/vcsX to get a screendump of Linux
    Console sessions, but I don't think you're able to do the same with
    PTYs.

    --
    Cameron Kerr
    cameron.kerr@paradise.net.nz : http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/
    Empowered by Perl!

  6. Re: Can I grab another teminal session?

    Cameron Kerr wrote:

    > Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
    >
    >> I have a terminal session open on computer A and some process is running.
    >> I go to compter B and open a teminal session and ssh into computer A.
    >> I want to monitor the process on computer A from the terminal session
    >> opened on computer B. Is this possible? I know I can do things like ps
    >> to see where things are, but can I "grab" that terminal session running
    >> on computer A and see it from computer B?

    > You can do this using screens multi-window attachment (screen -x),
    > however, it does require that you start the process on computer A from
    > within screen.
    >
    > Otherwise, no. You can cat /dev/vcsX to get a screendump of Linux
    > Console sessions, but I don't think you're able to do the same with
    > PTYs.

    Lorenzo,

    If you cannot do what Cameron suggested, maybe it is easier to adapt the
    program running, if that is at all possible.
    In case that it is your program, I suggest you just add some basic file-io
    to it and write important information away to a some log-file.

    From the other terminalsession you can just watch that file (with tail or
    something that suits you)

    Of course, this only works if you can adjust the original program.

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  7. Re: Can I grab another teminal session?

    In article <40189bc6@news.maxnet.co.nz>,
    Cameron Kerr wrote:

    > Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
    > > If I have two teminal sessions open, can I swap between them? If so how?
    > > Thanks

    > Are you wanting to snoop on another TTY/PTY? Or are you wanting to
    > multiplex terminals?
    >
    > If the latter, you should have a look at screen, which will be available
    > on standard distributions. I have written a brief tutorial about it on
    > my website.
    >
    > http://nzgeeks.org/cameron/pub/docs/screen-dunlug.php

    Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

+ Reply to Thread