gnoppix toasted my machine - Help

This is a discussion on gnoppix toasted my machine - Help ; Need some help and direction. I tried the latest version of gnoppix on my three year-old athlon machine (Windows 98 SE) and ran into a bit of a problem. Gnoppix seemed to work with no problem on my machine and ...

  1. gnoppix toasted my machine

    Need some help and direction.

    I tried the latest version of gnoppix on my three year-old athlon
    machine (Windows 98 SE) and ran into a bit of a problem.

    Gnoppix seemed to work with no problem on my machine and was quite
    pleased with what I found. However, when it came time to exit, I
    logged out and was expecting it to run it's shutdown script, and
    instead, my screen became an unintelligible jumble of horizontal
    lines. And it didn't do anything else. So, I decided to reset the
    machine -- after all, I thought, it's just running in ram since it's a
    live cd. Well, my machine didn't work right after that.

    I'm getting a nice purple screen on my monitor, and I can't reboot the
    machine even with a boot disk. It seems to ignore the floppy,
    although it does seem to recognize the cd-drives. The hard drives
    seem to be working but I have no idea if the machine is working or
    not.

    So, it looks like I've blown the video card (nvidia tnt2), or maybe
    the monitor itself -- I dunno. Also, did I trash the bios since it
    seems to be by-passing the floppy drive on bootup?

    Any suggestions, comments, or general guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Mick

  2. Re: gnoppix toasted my machine

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:02:55 -0800, mickmten@yahoo.com (mick) wrote in
    message news:<983bbf27.0401272002.535d776e@posting.google.com>:

    > Need some help and direction.
    >
    > I tried the latest version of gnoppix on my three year-old athlon
    > machine (Windows 98 SE) and ran into a bit of a problem.
    >
    > Gnoppix seemed to work with no problem on my machine and was quite
    > pleased with what I found. However, when it came time to exit, I
    > logged out and was expecting it to run it's shutdown script, and
    > instead, my screen became an unintelligible jumble of horizontal
    > lines. And it didn't do anything else. So, I decided to reset the
    > machine -- after all, I thought, it's just running in ram since it's a
    > live cd. Well, my machine didn't work right after that.
    >
    > I'm getting a nice purple screen on my monitor, and I can't reboot the
    > machine even with a boot disk. It seems to ignore the floppy,
    > although it does seem to recognize the cd-drives. The hard drives
    > seem to be working but I have no idea if the machine is working or
    > not.

    I'm a bit confused here. Can you, or can you not reboot the machine? How
    can you tell that the hard drives are working? Can you still boot into
    Gnoppix?

    > So, it looks like I've blown the video card (nvidia tnt2), or maybe
    > the monitor itself -- I dunno.

    Those are certainly possibilities. Do you have another monitor you can
    test it on?

    > Also, did I trash the bios since it seems to be by-passing the floppy
    > drive on bootup?

    Unlikely. Were you able to boot from a floppy before this? Have you
    checked your BIOS settings?

    --
    Peter: Let's not deny our heritages. You're Jewish, you're good with money.
    I'm Irish, I drink and I ban homosexuals from marching in my parade.

  3. Re: gnoppix toasted my machine

    Bill Baker wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:02:55 -0800, mickmten@yahoo.com (mick) wrote in
    > message news:<983bbf27.0401272002.535d776e@posting.google.com>:
    >
    > > Need some help and direction.
    > >
    > > I tried the latest version of gnoppix on my three year-old athlon
    > > machine (Windows 98 SE) and ran into a bit of a problem.
    > >
    > > Gnoppix seemed to work with no problem on my machine and was quite
    > > pleased with what I found. However, when it came time to exit, I
    > > logged out and was expecting it to run it's shutdown script, and
    > > instead, my screen became an unintelligible jumble of horizontal
    > > lines. And it didn't do anything else. So, I decided to reset the
    > > machine -- after all, I thought, it's just running in ram since it's a
    > > live cd. Well, my machine didn't work right after that.
    > >
    > > I'm getting a nice purple screen on my monitor, and I can't reboot the
    > > machine even with a boot disk. It seems to ignore the floppy,
    > > although it does seem to recognize the cd-drives. The hard drives
    > > seem to be working but I have no idea if the machine is working or
    > > not.

    > I'm a bit confused here. Can you, or can you not reboot the machine? How
    > can you tell that the hard drives are working? Can you still boot into
    > Gnoppix?

    No I can't boot into my machine. I've tried inserting the boot disk
    (which I've used in the past to regain control of my machine) and
    during the boot process, the LED for the floppy doesn't come on, but
    the LEDs for the two CD drives does blink. So, no, I can't boot into
    my machine.

    How do I know the drives are working? I can hear them spin up.

    I don't know if I can boot into Gnoppix since I have no video. Right
    now I don't know if I've blown the video card or the monitor? I tend
    to think it might be the video card and I'll have a replacement in a
    day or two.

    > > So, it looks like I've blown the video card (nvidia tnt2), or maybe
    > > the monitor itself -- I dunno.

    > Those are certainly possibilities. Do you have another monitor you can
    > test it on?

    I do have another monitor, but I'm going to replace the video card
    first; if that doesn't work, I'll try with another monitor.

    > > Also, did I trash the bios since it seems to be by-passing the floppy
    > > drive on bootup?

    > Unlikely. Were you able to boot from a floppy before this? Have you
    > checked your BIOS settings?

    I have booted up from the floppy before -- I've used the boot disk
    about a half dozen times when I've screwed up the system and had to
    boot into the safe mode. So I know it used to work in the past. And
    I haven't checked the bios settings -- if I get my video back, that's
    something I'll take a look at.

    I'm interested in finding out if anyone has had any video problems
    with Gnoppix or any of the other distros. I know the shutdown script
    was started, but the video became corrupted and then everything went
    south in a hurry. I'd like to get this info out the the user
    community and hope this helps.
    > > Any suggestions, comments, or general guidance would be appreciated.
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Mick

  4. Re: gnoppix toasted my machine

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:42:27 -0800, mickmten@yahoo.com (mick) wrote in
    message news:<983bbf27.0402021942.153fbb40@posting.google.com>:

    > No I can't boot into my machine. I've tried inserting the boot disk
    > (which I've used in the past to regain control of my machine) and during
    > the boot process, the LED for the floppy doesn't come on, but the LEDs
    > for the two CD drives does blink. So, no, I can't boot into my machine.

    Does the light for the floppy drive come on at all? When you first turn
    on your computer, it should. If not, you may have to check the connection
    from the motherboard to the floppy drive.

    > How do I know the drives are working? I can hear them spin up.
    >
    > I don't know if I can boot into Gnoppix since I have no video. Right
    > now I don't know if I've blown the video card or the monitor? I tend to
    > think it might be the video card and I'll have a replacement in a day or
    > two.

    It's certainly possible, but it's also possible that it may be the
    monitor. A bad refresh rate can blow out a monitor.

    >> > So, it looks like I've blown the video card (nvidia tnt2), or maybe
    >> > the monitor itself -- I dunno.

    >> Those are certainly possibilities. Do you have another monitor you can
    >> test it on?

    > I do have another monitor, but I'm going to replace the video card
    > first; if that doesn't work, I'll try with another monitor.

    I would check the monitor first, since you already have it.

    >> > Also, did I trash the bios since it seems to be by-passing the floppy
    >> > drive on bootup?

    >> Unlikely. Were you able to boot from a floppy before this? Have you
    >> checked your BIOS settings?
    >>

    > I have booted up from the floppy before -- I've used the boot disk about
    > a half dozen times when I've screwed up the system and had to boot into
    > the safe mode. So I know it used to work in the past. And I haven't
    > checked the bios settings -- if I get my video back, that's something
    > I'll take a look at.
    >
    > I'm interested in finding out if anyone has had any video problems with
    > Gnoppix or any of the other distros. I know the shutdown script was
    > started, but the video became corrupted and then everything went south
    > in a hurry. I'd like to get this info out the the user community and
    > hope this helps.

    I have used Knoppix on many different computers, and have yet to have a
    problem with it. What happened with you was probably either a video card
    or monitor that was about to go bad anyway, or Gnoppix may have
    misconfigured the refresh rate for your monitor and blown it out.

    --
    Funny Sister Lurlean quote #12:
    "The important thing to know is whether the different candidates is

  5. Re: gnoppix toasted my machine

    Bill,

    For your info I was able to work on my machine and found that a
    replacement for the video card got me back online again. I guess it's
    a lesson to be learned that when playing with new things, expect new
    and exciting results. In any case, I do appreciate your response. If
    trying Gnoppix, watch how you shutdown.

    Mick

+ Reply to Thread