updating RedHat packages without using their up2date - Help

This is a discussion on updating RedHat packages without using their up2date - Help ; Is there a sane way to keep up to date with patches/updates without using the stupid up2date process? We seem to never have entitlements even on 1 month old installs and it's a pain!...

  1. updating RedHat packages without using their up2date

    Is there a sane way to keep up to date with patches/updates without
    using the stupid up2date process? We seem to never have entitlements
    even on 1 month old installs and it's a pain!

  2. Re: updating RedHat packages without using their up2date

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:22:05 -0500, Ed Stankevich typed:

    > Is there a sane way to keep up to date with patches/updates without
    > using the stupid up2date process? We seem to never have entitlements
    > even on 1 month old installs and it's a pain!

    apt/synaptic or yum

    http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: updating RedHat packages without using their up2date

    Ed Stankevich wrote in message news:...
    > Is there a sane way to keep up to date with patches/updates without
    > using the stupid up2date process? We seem to never have entitlements
    > even on 1 month old installs and it's a pain!

    You can also try AutoUpdate (http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/).

    Regards,

    ..lzs

  4. Re: updating RedHat packages without using their up2date

    > Is there a sane way to keep up to date with patches/updates without
    > using the stupid up2date process? We seem to never have entitlements
    > even on 1 month old installs and it's a pain!

    Install http://apt.freshrpms.net and use a cron job, e.g.:

    7 1 * * * (/usr/bin/apt-get update; /usr/bin/apt-get upgrade

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies