Which Linux distro? - Help

This is a discussion on Which Linux distro? - Help ; I have an old PC (486/DX2-66 with over drive chip, 48 meg. of RAM), I would like to know which distro of Linux would be best suited to this hardware. I would like to use it for Samba PDC for ...

  1. Which Linux distro?

    I have an old PC (486/DX2-66 with over drive chip, 48 meg. of RAM), I would
    like to know which distro of Linux would be best suited to this hardware. I
    would like to use it for Samba PDC for a small network of Win2K desktops and
    for running Squid, maybe light development. I have tried Red Hat 7.3 and
    8.0, also Mandrake 8.x and 9.x; each loaded and worked, however, with the
    limited amount of memory and slow processor speed, the network communication
    was very, very, very slow -- to the point of appearing that I had some sort
    of blocking. TCP traffic in and out of the box seems not to go anywhere.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    One other thing, I also tried Debian and Slackware, the latest versions, but
    being as this box can not boot from CD-Rom nor could the software find the
    CD-Rom drive after a floppy boot.

    Thanks
    Dudley

  2. Re: Which Linux distro?

    For that box you're going to need something very minimal and definitely
    don't run any desktop environment (Gnome, KDE), really no X-Windows at all.
    Stay with a server install (CLI only) and you should be OK. As far as which
    distro... Not sure on that one, something very minimal I guess, most distros
    with modern installers can be minimal if you want them to be, just by
    deselecting anything you think you won't need. You mentioned "light
    development". I wouldn't do that either if you mean to imply installing
    development tools like gcc etc. Just run this box as a packet filter/pdc
    whatever and you'll probably be OK.

  3. Re: Which Linux distro?

    Vector Linux, my friend It is built from Slackware and optimized for
    older hw like that...

    http://www.vectorlinux.com

+ Reply to Thread