Linux USB problem - Help

This is a discussion on Linux USB problem - Help ; I 've recently installed Red Hat 9 (kernel version 2.4) on a Compaq Presario 5000. Everything seems to work fine, except for the USB. Strangely enough, the system seems to recognize USB, because every time I add or remove a ...

  1. Linux USB problem

    I 've recently installed Red Hat 9 (kernel version 2.4) on a Compaq
    Presario 5000. Everything seems to work fine, except for the USB.
    Strangely enough, the system seems to recognize USB, because every
    time I add or remove a USB device, the file /proc/bus/usb/devices is
    updated correctly; but the devices just don' t work. Every time I boot
    the computer, I get the following message:

    usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

    On some Internet sites they say that that Compaq computers often use
    the usb-ohci driver instead of the usb-uhci driver. So I 've tried to
    load the usb-ohci driver using insmod, but it didn' t work. Someone
    told me that I should try to edit my /etc/modules.conf file and
    replace the line:

    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    by:
    alias usb-controller usb-ohci

    But this doesn' t work either; I keep getting the following error
    message:

    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o: init_module: No
    such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
    including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

    A computer expert told me that it's impossible to edit these IO and
    IRQ values. So how do I have to solve this problem? I have the
    following USB-related hardware (taken from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf):

    class: USB
    bus: PCI
    detached: 0
    driver: usb-uhci
    desc: "VIA Technologies|USB"
    vendorId: 1106
    deviceId: 3038
    subVendorId: 0925
    subDeviceId: 1234
    pciType: 1
    -
    class: USB
    bus: PCI
    detached: 0
    driver: usb-uhci
    desc: "VIA Technologies|USB"
    vendorId: 1106
    deviceId: 3038
    subVendorId: 0925
    subDeviceId: 1234
    pciType: 1
    -
    class: PRINTER
    bus: USB
    detached: 1
    driver: unknown
    desc: "Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 840c"
    usbclass: 7
    usbsubclass: 1
    usbprotocol: 2
    usbbus: 2
    usblevel: 1
    usbport: 0
    vendorId: 03f0
    deviceId: 0604
    -
    class: KEYBOARD
    bus: USB
    detached: 1
    driver: keybdev
    desc: "Compaq Computer Corp. Internet Keyboard"
    usbclass: 3
    usbsubclass: 1
    usbprotocol: 1
    usbbus: 2
    usblevel: 1
    usbport: 0
    vendorId: 049f
    deviceId: 000e

    And here's the output of lspci:

    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C693A/694x [Apollo
    PRO133x] (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133
    AGP]
    00:04.0 Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev
    08)
    00:14.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super
    South] (rev 22)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC
    Bus Master IDE (rev 10)
    00:14.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 10)
    00:14.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 10)
    00:14.4 Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
    (rev 30)
    00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
    AC97 Audio Controller (rev 20)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta/Vanta
    LT] (rev 15)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards, David.

  2. Re: Linux USB problem

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On 10 Jan 2004 04:44:32 -0800, David staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > I 've recently installed Red Hat 9 (kernel version 2.4) on a Compaq
    > Presario 5000. Everything seems to work fine, except for the USB.
    > Strangely enough, the system seems to recognize USB, because every
    > time I add or remove a USB device, the file /proc/bus/usb/devices is
    > updated correctly; but the devices just don't work.

    When you say "just don't work", what have you tried? Is the hotplug
    service running? Have you loaded the proper modules for what you need?
    You'll need to modprobe usb-storage and sd_mod to get most USB mass
    storage devices to work, f'rinstance, or you can have hotplug
    automatically load modules for you. USB storage devices appear as SCSI
    devices; if I plug in my Archos 6000, it'll show up as /dev/sda1 . A
    USB CD-RW I borrowed briefly showed up as /dev/scd0 . USB joysticks and
    steering wheels should show up as /dev/input/js* once joydev and hid are
    loaded.

    > Every time I boot the computer, I get the following message:
    > usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout

    May not be anything, may be something. Too little information to tell.

    > On some Internet sites they say that that Compaq computers often use
    > the usb-ohci driver instead of the usb-uhci driver. So I 've tried to
    > load the usb-ohci driver using insmod, but it didn' t work.

    If "modprobe usb-ohci" doesn't work, you don't have an OHCI USB
    controller in your machine. Your motherboard has a VIA chipset, and all
    the VIA chipset boards I've seen have had UHCI USB controllers.

    > Someone told me that I should try to edit my /etc/modules.conf file
    > and replace the line:
    > alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    > alias usb-controller usb-ohci

    Nope. Won't work if you don't have an OHCI-chipset USB controller.

    > 00:04.0 Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev
    > 08)

    Some Conexant LoseModems can be made to work under Linux; try
    http://linmodems.org/ if you haven't already.

    > 00:14.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 10)

    If this is it, and "modprobe usb-uhci" works, then you have an UHCI
    controller. Your problem is not with the modules that loaded
    successfully, but with something else--hotplug not starting? Check the
    output of dmesg for anything weird related to the USB subsystem and post
    a full account. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!