file recovery - perhaps crashed disk - Help

This is a discussion on file recovery - perhaps crashed disk - Help ; Greetings, 1. Running RH 8.0 on disk hdb. Have 2 HD: hda, hdb 2. Disk hdb apparently crashed. Had message when vi invoked: something like "no swap space available; write error" and it went downhill from there, to the point ...

  1. file recovery - perhaps crashed disk

    Greetings,

    1. Running RH 8.0 on disk hdb. Have 2 HD: hda, hdb
    2. Disk hdb apparently crashed. Had message when vi invoked:
    something like "no swap space available; write error" and it went
    downhill from there, to the point where boot doesn't complete. I
    *don't* think I have a swap problem; more likely the disk fried
    or other hardware problem.

    I'd like to:

    Recover about 1GB of important non-system files from
    hdb and recover my installation or just re-install on hdb.

    .......I'm looking for a strategy to recover the files.......

    hda is available (not used in RH installation; it has old RH 7.2 partitions;
    I want to put FreeBSD on it after crash problem is solved).

    These seem like choices:

    ......Without recovering system....
    Move files to hda using some method?
    What if hda isn't viable - can I partition it without a working system?
    I have a DDS drive that works; that would be a good option, but
    Rescue Mode from RH CDROM doesn't recognize tape devices,
    even though /dev/* is there.

    .... Install 'temp' system on hda ....
    Install RH on hda, then try to move hdb files to hda, then
    reinstall on hdb? (For this, how do I make hdb partitions & files
    readable?) I do need to reinstall on the larger hdb. Obviously,
    I need to check its health after 'temp' installation on hda.

    Thanks for any guidance!

    PS: If suggestions include system utilities like dd or fdisk, please
    suggest main "do" and "do not" things like cmd args. Man pages
    are on cdrom but I don't want to shoot my foot off.

    --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    "...it will be the year of VoIP. What does that really mean?"
    Answer from posting on slasdot.org:

    Giant, wheezing, pus-oozing corporations pull themselves up the
    stairs and through the open door of the "place where great ideas
    are discussed(tm)" whereupon they recline upon the new
    technology with their ****-caked, impossibly fat asses and proceed
    to absorb every last molecule of joy out of the room to the tune
    of buzzing horseflies the size of dinette sets and ROI estimates.

  2. Re: file recovery - perhaps crashed disk

    Sounds like a head crash.

    Unless the files are very important (in which case they should have been
    backed up) bin it.

    If you have nerves of steel and a clean environment to work in it might
    just be possible to open it up and swap in components from the exact same
    model, which may resurect it long enough to get the important files and
    then bin it. There are companies that would get the files for you, but at
    a premium.

    Some dead drives have been known to to work for a few hours after being
    left in the freezer overnight.

    --
    Jim H jh
    @333

  3. Re: file recovery - perhaps crashed disk

    BTW, I do see the /home/* directories and files I need to recover
    when I use RH CDROM rescue mode.

    "agathon" wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > 1. Running RH 8.0 on disk hdb. Have 2 HD: hda, hdb
    > 2. Disk hdb apparently crashed. Had message when vi invoked:
    > something like "no swap space available; write error" and it went
    > downhill from there, to the point where boot doesn't complete. I
    > *don't* think I have a swap problem; more likely the disk fried
    > or other hardware problem.
    >
    > I'd like to:
    >
    > Recover about 1GB of important non-system files from
    > hdb and recover my installation or just re-install on hdb.
    >

    > ......I'm looking for a strategy to recover the files.......
    >
    > hda is available (not used in RH installation; it has old RH 7.2 partitions;
    > I want to put FreeBSD on it after crash problem is solved).
    >
    > These seem like choices:
    >
    > ......Without recovering system....
    > Move files to hda using some method?
    > What if hda isn't viable - can I partition it without a working system?
    > I have a DDS drive that works; that would be a good option, but
    > Rescue Mode from RH CDROM doesn't recognize tape devices,
    > even though /dev/* is there.
    >
    > .... Install 'temp' system on hda ....
    > Install RH on hda, then try to move hdb files to hda, then
    > reinstall on hdb? (For this, how do I make hdb partitions & files
    > readable?) I do need to reinstall on the larger hdb. Obviously,
    > I need to check its health after 'temp' installation on hda.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance!
    >
    > PS: If suggestions include system utilities like dd or fdisk, please
    > suggest main "do" and "do not" things like cmd args. Man pages
    > are on cdrom but I don't want to shoot my foot off.
    >
    > --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    > "...it will be the year of VoIP. What does that really mean?"
    > Answer from posting on slasdot.org:
    >
    > Giant, wheezing, pus-oozing corporations pull themselves up the
    > stairs and through the open door of the "place where great ideas
    > are discussed(tm)" whereupon they recline upon the new
    > technology with their ****-caked, impossibly fat asses and proceed
    > to absorb every last molecule of joy out of the room to the tune
    > of buzzing horseflies the size of dinette sets and ROI estimates.

  4. Re: file recovery - perhaps crashed disk

    Thanks to all...

    Since hda was viable (old RH7.2 install),

    1. had to change BIOS at pwr up to put cdrom first
    2. boot cdrom
    (kind of a mystery why hdb would be mounted on cdrom boot)
    then

    % mkdir /mnt/hda3 # mount point for / (hda3)
    % mount -o rw /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 # mount hda
    % mkdir /mnt/hda3/me/dest # create dest. dir to recover files to
    % cp -r /home/me/* /mnt/hda3/me/dest # cp from hdb to hda

    .... change BIOS to boot hda (using on pwr up)
    .... and boot ...

    % cd dest
    % tar cvf /dev/st0 ./* # ...and, viola.... to tape

    Now, to pack a bunch of C4 into hdb and mail it to... ;-)

    "Jim H" wrote in message newspr1cvpaws2qksv7@news.eclipse.co.uk...
    > Sounds like a head crash.
    >
    > Unless the files are very important (in which case they should have been
    > backed up) bin it.
    >
    > If you have nerves of steel and a clean environment to work in it might
    > just be possible to open it up and swap in components from the exact same
    > model, which may resurect it long enough to get the important files and
    > then bin it. There are companies that would get the files for you, but at
    > a premium.
    >
    > Some dead drives have been known to to work for a few hours after being
    > left in the freezer overnight.
    >
    > --
    > Jim H jh
    > @333