Help wanted RE: Slackware install with 8MB RAM - Help

This is a discussion on Help wanted RE: Slackware install with 8MB RAM - Help ; Okay, so I had Tiny Linux (a stripped-down Slackware variant) on my computer. Now I get the Slackware CDs and want to do a more complete install. One problem: I have only 8MB of RAM on my 486 DX/100. I ...

  1. Help wanted RE: Slackware install with 8MB RAM

    Okay, so I had Tiny Linux (a stripped-down Slackware variant) on my
    computer. Now I get the Slackware CDs and want to do a more complete
    install. One problem: I have only 8MB of RAM on my 486 DX/100. I
    achieved the Tiny Linux install by using the 'quickroot.gz' root disk
    which is designed for this purpose. However, there seems to be nothing
    of this nature in the download section of the Slackware website. I
    tried lomem.i as a boot disk but it complained that it couldn't find a
    bootable image at 0 on my root disk (bare.i). I have heard of these
    fabled computers that can boot from the CD drive, but mine can't and I
    have yet to see one that does. Given that my computer with internet
    access has Windows 98 and a 33.6k modem (so... I can't do anything
    fancy that requires Linux or massive downloads) what can I do? Will I
    have to go back to Windows 95 (even though I am thoroughly sick of
    it)?

  2. Re: Help wanted RE: Slackware install with 8MB RAM

    Joe W. wrote:

    > Okay, so I had Tiny Linux (a stripped-down Slackware variant) on my
    > computer. Now I get the Slackware CDs and want to do a more complete

    which version?

    > install. One problem: I have only 8MB of RAM on my 486 DX/100. I
    > achieved the Tiny Linux install by using the 'quickroot.gz' root disk
    > which is designed for this purpose. However, there seems to be nothing
    > of this nature in the download section of the Slackware website. I
    > tried lomem.i as a boot disk but it complained that it couldn't find a
    > bootable image at 0 on my root disk (bare.i). I have heard of these

    bare.i is a boot disk not a root disk look in the rootdisks/rootdsks
    directory for a root disk image

    > fabled computers that can boot from the CD drive, but mine can't and I
    > have yet to see one that does. Given that my computer with internet

    you wont find a 486 that boots from the cd AFAIK

    > access has Windows 98 and a 33.6k modem (so... I can't do anything
    > fancy that requires Linux or massive downloads) what can I do? Will I
    > have to go back to Windows 95 (even though I am thoroughly sick of
    > it)?

    disk space / patience / ability to burn cd's are more important things than
    ram / modem / cpu

    --
    Fats Loves Madelyn

+ Reply to Thread