Hi. I am a new Linux user and I am trying to get Russian fonts working
under Gnome 2.4.1, XFree86 v4.3.0.

I read a bit about how fonts work under X in various how-to documents, but
I am obviously missing something.

The problem is this - all russian symbols appear as rectangular glyphs
with 4 numbers in the corners, which appear to represent the codes for the
symbol, b/c the numbers are consecutive for consecutive letters.
For example, here are the 1st 4 letters in Russian alphabet
(in english) and the corresponding glyphs I get on the screen
(each column in the last 2 lines represents one glygh):
"a" "b" "v" "g" "d".
04 04 04 04 04
30 31 32 33 34

I have cyrillic fonts installed under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
In that directory I have the encodings.dir, fonts.alias and fonts.dir
files.
In my /etc/X11/XF86Config file I have a line that says:
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"

I also found another font directory under /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts. What is
the difference? Why are there 2 font dirs?

Despite of everything mentioned above all Russian symbols (typed or in a
browser) still appear as glyphs. I don't know what else to try, so I would
really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.

Val