a little help getting X up and running - Help

This is a discussion on a little help getting X up and running - Help ; Hopefully someone has seen this problem before, it's hard for me to search archives when I'm not sure what's wrong myself. I have a fresh-ish install of Debain, on which I never had graphics running. The video card is a ...

  1. a little help getting X up and running

    Hopefully someone has seen this problem before, it's hard for me to search
    archives when I'm not sure what's wrong myself.

    I have a fresh-ish install of Debain, on which I never had graphics
    running. The video card is a Geforce4Ti 4200, connected to a Samsung
    SyncMaster171s (specs in pdf here http://tinyurl.com/2wsuk)

    Because this is a TFT monitor, I only really want XF86 to run in the
    native resolution, which is 1280*1024.

    My XF86Config (mostly as default) is at
    http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XF86Config-4
    XFree86.0.log http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XFree86.0.log

    Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

    --
    Jim H jh
    @333

  2. Re: a little help getting X up and running

    Jim H wrote:
    > Hopefully someone has seen this problem before, it's hard for me to

    man 5x XF86Config

    Did you run the X configurator from your distro? Different
    distros use different configurators so you will have to find
    this one yourself. (I use Red Hat) One possibility is
    /usr/bin/X11/xf86config.

    > I have a fresh-ish install of Debain, on which I never had graphics
    > running. The video card is a Geforce4Ti 4200, connected to a Samsung
    > SyncMaster171s (specs in pdf here http://tinyurl.com/2wsuk)

    OK, it should have all the necessary info.

    > Because this is a TFT monitor, I only really want XF86 to run in the
    > native resolution, which is 1280*1024.

    Not a prob.

    > My XF86Config (mostly as default) is at
    > http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XF86Config-4

    In Section "Monitor" change:
    #The Identifier field is basically a comment...
    Identifier "Samsung SyncMaster171s"
    HorizSync 30-81
    VertRefresh 56-85

    Synch numbers from the PDF page 42.

    In Section "Screen" change:
    #I have Identifier "Screen0" on my Dell notebook, not sure
    if this will matter...
    #The Monitor field is basically a comment...
    Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster171s"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection

    That should be enough, delete the rest of the SubSection
    "Display" lines. Keep your current XF86Config-4 file around
    just in case...

    > XFree86.0.log http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XFree86.0.log

    I think it is saying the nv driver can't find a monitor.
    Since it probably is looking for a crt and you are using a
    tft, that might be the problem.

    Also, I have an additional section. This may or may not be
    important.

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Linux Frame Buffer"
    Driver "fbdev"
    BoardName "Unknown"
    EndSection

  3. Re: a little help getting X up and running

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:48:30 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass
    wrote:

    Ok, I'm getting a bit futher now. Seems to be a different problem...

    > Did you run the X configurator from your distro? Different distros use
    > different configurators so you will have to find this one yourself. (I
    > use Red Hat) One possibility is /usr/bin/X11/xf86config.

    I have Debian woody, installed from downloaded ISOs. A configuration tool
    ran with the installation.

    >> My XF86Config (mostly as default) is at
    >> http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XF86Config-4

    > In Section "Monitor" change:
    > #The Identifier field is basically a comment...
    > Identifier "Samsung SyncMaster171s"
    > HorizSync 30-81
    > VertRefresh 56-85

    ok.

    > In Section "Screen" change:
    > #I have Identifier "Screen0" on my Dell notebook, not sure if this will
    > matter...
    > #The Monitor field is basically a comment...
    > Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster171s"
    > DefaultDepth 16
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1280x1024"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 16
    > Modes "1280x1024"
    > EndSubSection
    >
    > That should be enough, delete the rest of the SubSection "Display"
    > lines. Keep your current XF86Config-4 file around just in case...

    have done. I set default to 24, but that shouldn't matter.

    > Also, I have an additional section. This may or may not be important.
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "Linux Frame Buffer"
    > Driver "fbdev"
    > BoardName "Unknown"
    > EndSection

    I added this, although nothing seems to reference "Linux Frame Driver" it
    shouldn't do any harm.

    I noticed the list of supported drivers in the log file...

    NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA128, RIVATNT, RIVATNT2,
    RIVATNT2 (A), RIVATNT2 (B), RIVATNT2 (Ultra), RIVATNT2 (Vanta),
    RIVATNT2 M64, RIVATNT2 (Integrated), GeForce 256, GeForce DDR,
    Quadro, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 GTS (rev 1), GeForce2 ultra,
    Quadro 2 Pro, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX DDR, Quadro 2 MXR,
    GeForce 2 Go, GeForce3, GeForce3 (rev 1), GeForce3 (rev 2),
    GeForce3 (rev 3)

    .... doesn't include the 4200, so I changed it to vesa. startx seems to get
    a lot futher now. When I get X working I might try looking for newer
    drivers.

    new log here http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XF86log2
    new config here http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XConfig2

    now the problem seems to be the mouse, in the configoration program I set
    it to "/dev/input/mice" which seemed plausible, since the other options
    presented were not USB. The mouse is a USB Logitech MX700. Any suggestions
    on what this should be?

    --
    Jim H jh
    @333

  4. Re: a little help getting X up and running

    Jim H wrote:
    > have done. I set default to 24, but that shouldn't matter.

    I would have suggested leaving it at 16-bit color until you
    got things working.

    > I noticed the list of supported drivers in the log file...
    >
    > NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA128, RIVATNT, RIVATNT2,
    > RIVATNT2 (A), RIVATNT2 (B), RIVATNT2 (Ultra), RIVATNT2 (Vanta),
    > RIVATNT2 M64, RIVATNT2 (Integrated), GeForce 256, GeForce DDR,
    > Quadro, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 GTS (rev 1), GeForce2 ultra,
    > Quadro 2 Pro, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX DDR, Quadro 2 MXR,
    > GeForce 2 Go, GeForce3, GeForce3 (rev 1), GeForce3 (rev 2),
    > GeForce3 (rev 3)
    >
    > ... doesn't include the 4200, so I changed it to vesa. startx seems to
    > get a lot futher now. When I get X working I might try looking for newer
    > drivers.

    The Ti4200 is a GeForce4 core. I don't have any NVidia
    cards so I don't know where to go here. Maybe a newer
    version of XFree86 includes the GeForce4 in the nv driver or
    maybe there is a separate NVidia driver for GeForce4 cards.
    Otherwise you may want to get the binary-only driver from
    NVidia and use it. There are many places to get info on
    getting this setup working.

    Try reading here: http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/

    Or try searching www.google.com for "geforce4 linux".

    > new log here http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XF86log2
    > new config here http://users.aber.ac.uk/jqh1/XConfig2
    >
    > now the problem seems to be the mouse, in the configoration program I
    > set it to "/dev/input/mice" which seemed plausible, since the other
    > options presented were not USB. The mouse is a USB Logitech MX700. Any
    > suggestions on what this should be?

    I have only used serial and PS/2 pointing devices, no help
    here. The X setup routine should be able to handle this though.

    Read the above link about USB mouse support.

  5. Re: a little help getting X up and running - still problems with the mouse

    Still on the mouse problem, if anyone can help please!
    Btw, my level of experiance of admin type tasks in Linux in pretty nebish,
    but I have used Sun unix for a long time as a normal user so I know my way
    round a bit.

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:15:04 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass
    wrote:

    > The Ti4200 is a GeForce4 core. I don't have any NVidia cards so I don't
    > know where to go here. Maybe a newer version of XFree86 includes the
    > GeForce4 in the nv driver or maybe there is a separate NVidia driver for
    > GeForce4 cards. Otherwise you may want to get the binary-only driver
    > from NVidia and use it. There are many places to get info on getting
    > this setup working.

    I don't play games so often anymore so I'm quite happy to use the vesa
    drivers for the time being, I have seen the linux drivers at nvidia.com
    but a lot of people seem to be having stability issues with them, so I'll
    take a proper look in a few versions' time.

    >> now the problem seems to be the mouse, in the configoration program I
    >> set it to "/dev/input/mice" which seemed plausible, since the other
    >> options presented were not USB. The mouse is a USB Logitech MX700. Any
    >> suggestions on what this should be?

    > I have only used serial and PS/2 pointing devices, no help here. The X
    > setup routine should be able to handle this though.
    >
    > Read the above link about USB mouse support.

    No help I'm afraid. The part of my config where it seems to go wrong is:

    (**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    (**) USB mouse: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) USB mouse: Core Pointer
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
    No such device.
    (EE) USB mouse: cannot open input device
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "USB mouse"
    (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
    (WW) No core pointer registered
    No core pointer

    Fatal server error:
    failed to initialize core devices

    It seems X can't find the USB mouse at /dev/input/mice. I checked on a
    Redhat box with a USB mouse working fine, and that uses Option "Device"
    "/dev/input/mice" I think this may indicate that the problem is not with
    the X config file anymore.

    If I cd to /dev/input there is an item called mice, but I don't know what
    I can do with it to make it valid.

    --
    Jim H jh
    @333