LS120 Drives - Need Help Using / User Notes - Help

This is a discussion on LS120 Drives - Need Help Using / User Notes - Help ; I am compiling a list of "How Tos" for the LS120 drive and I am looking for some quick notes on how to use them under Linux. Specifically, I would like answers to the following questions: How do I format ...

  1. LS120 Drives - Need Help Using / User Notes

    I am compiling a list of "How Tos" for the LS120 drive and I am
    looking for some quick notes on how to use them under Linux.

    Specifically, I would like answers to the following questions:

    How do I format an LS120 as EXT2 ?

    How do I format an LS120 VFAT ?

    How do I format a 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disk in an LS120 drive as EXT2 ?

    How do I format a 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disk in an LS120 drive as VFAT ?

    Any other information relating to the use of LS120 drives would be
    appreciated.

    (For example making an LS120 bootable with LILO on EXT2).

    If you want your name, home town and email address to appear in the
    credits, please include the information in the reply.

  2. Re: LS120 Drives - Need Help Using / User Notes

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:50:34 +0000, Mark Hobley typed:

    > I am compiling a list of "How Tos" for the LS120 drive and I am looking
    > for some quick notes on how to use them under Linux.
    >
    > Specifically, I would like answers to the following questions:
    >
    > How do I format an LS120 as EXT2 ?
    >
    > How do I format an LS120 VFAT ?
    >
    > How do I format a 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disk in an LS120 drive as EXT2 ?
    >
    > How do I format a 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disk in an LS120 drive as VFAT ?

    Read 'man fdisk' and 'man mkfs'

    > Any other information relating to the use of LS120 drives would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > (For example making an LS120 bootable with LILO on EXT2).

    Read 'man lilo' and 'man grub-install'

    http://www.google.com/linux search on the phrase 'ls-120 support'

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: LS120 Drives - Need Help Using / User Notes

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004, Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I am compiling a list of "How Tos" for the LS120 drive and I am
    > looking for some quick notes on how to use them under Linux.
    >
    > Specifically, I would like answers to the following questions:
    >
    > How do I format an LS120 as EXT2 ?

    I have not tried EXT2 for LS120 or floppies since I typically use them to
    share data between Linux and Windows. Although, my system with LS120 has
    been Windows free since its Win98 drive died and was removed. Note that
    LS120 disks have no partitions and fdisk seems unable to create any on
    them.

    > How do I format an LS120 VFAT ?

    mkdosfs -I /dev/hdx (where x is the ide drive like /dev/hdc)

    It may be a good idea to use -c switch too, to check for bad blocks.

    The -I is important, since it is an ide device, but there are no
    partitions. Attempting this without -I renders the disk unable to be
    formatted (in Linux, Windows or DOS) until you dd a bunch of zeros to the
    beginning of the disk (device).

    The only difference between FAT or VFAT (long file names) is the type used
    when mounted. Unless disks are specifically for old msdos only, it is
    advisable to mount LS120 or floppies as vfat. Otherwise if files are
    deleted when mounted as msdos, long (vfat) filenames might not be deleted.

    > How do I format a 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disk in an LS120 drive as EXT2 ?
    >
    > How do I format a 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy disk in an LS120 drive as VFAT ?

    Same as for LS120. The system should recognize the disk type and size.

    > Any other information relating to the use of LS120 drives would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > (For example making an LS120 bootable with LILO on EXT2).

    ZipSlack on a DOS formatted bootable LS120 makes a powerfull rescue system
    (and the only non-cd based removable system I have found that supports
    ATAPI floppies). It uses loadlin and umsdos filesystem and occupies about
    75 MB leaving room for adding packages or data.

    > If you want your name, home town and email address to appear in the
    > credits, please include the information in the reply.

    I am in Elgin, IL, USA, not that it matters, and my name and e-mail
    address are real (fortunately on a Solaris system with procmail and
    SpamAssassin).