Dual boot Windows 2000 & Linux from separate disks (SUCCESS) - Help

This is a discussion on Dual boot Windows 2000 & Linux from separate disks (SUCCESS) - Help ; Hi, For some time I've had a problem with dual-booting Windows 2000 and Linux, each on its own disk. After reading a myriad of complex recipes for doing such (many of which failed or did not meet what I was ...

  1. Dual boot Windows 2000 & Linux from separate disks (SUCCESS)

    Hi,

    For some time I've had a problem with dual-booting Windows 2000 and Linux,
    each on its own disk. After reading a myriad of complex recipes for doing
    such (many of which failed or did not meet what I was trying to achieve), I
    finally got it working. I wanted to pass on what I have learned to the
    rest of the community, in case someone ran into a similar issue.

    First, the facts. I have Redhat Fedora (core 1) installed on an entire
    Western Digital 80GB drive. Normal partitioning scheme, with /boot on the
    first partition (which I've seen recommended, and seems to be enforced by
    the install process). I have Windows 2000 installed on an entire Maxtor
    60GB drive; filesystems are NTFS. Both disks are on the same IDE bus/cable.

    Second, some history. When I installed each of these OS's, my PC had just
    the single disk in it (which was the master). No attempt at dual-boot
    config was done during the install of Fedora. I'll note that I installed
    the GRUB bootloader on the MBR of the Linux disk at the time of OS install.
    I originally had the Linux disk as Master, and Win2K drive as slave. When
    trying to dual-boot, I used the following config in /boot/grub/grub.conf
    (which failed):

    default=0
    timeout=0
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Fedora Core
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb
    initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
    title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    Although booting into Fedora went OK, booting into Windows resulted in the
    bootloader showing me the rootnoverify and makeactive commands, then
    hanging. I tried to add

    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)

    but that resulted in the error "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable
    format".

    Third, the solution. After pouring through dozens of Win2K/Linux dual-boot
    recipes (some of them so damn complex that they weren't worth pursuing;
    didn't follow the KISS principle), I found something that did work:

    http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages...ring_grub.html

    Following the directions, I went and did the following:

    1. Powered off PC. Made the Linux disk the Slave, and the Windows 2000 disk
    the Master, on the IDE bus/cable (via the drive jumpers, as usual)
    2. Put Redhat Fedora (core 1) CD 1 of 1 in my PC's CD drive, and brought the
    system up. Booted off the CD to get to the Fedora OS install menu
    3. At the Fedora install prompt at the main menu, typed in: linux rescue
    4. Answered questions about the language and locale, did not enable
    networking, and selected Continue to go right into a shell in rescue mode
    5. In the rescue mode shell, ran 'df' to verify that the partitions of my
    Linux disk were mounted. I cd'd to the /boot partition (/mnt/sysimage/boot
    (?)), and from there into the grub subdirectory
    6. Saved a copy of the original grub.conf in case I had to restore it.
    (NOTE: At this point, as GRUB sees it, the Windows 2000 disk (Master) is
    (hd0), and the
    Linux disk (Slave) is (hd1). Also, the /boot partition is (hd1,0) )
    7. Editing grub.conf, so it now has the contents:

    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Fedora Core
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb
    initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
    title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    8. Next, I installed GRUB on the MBR of the Windows 2000 disk (Master; known
    as hd0) by doing the following
    a. Ran command 'grub'. I'm now in GRUB command mode
    b. Typed in: root (hd1,0)
    (this sets the boot drive)
    c. Typed in: find (hd1,0)/grub/stage1
    (finds the first file that GRUB needs to boot from. you may see a
    list of drive partitions
    that GRUB could be installed. Not sure why this command is needed)
    d. Typed in: setup (hd0)
    (installs GRUB bootloader on MBR of Win2K disk, hd0)
    e. Typed in: quit

    9. I cd'd into the root (/) partition (/mnt/sysimage/ (?)) and from there
    into the etc subdirectory. I saved a copy of the original fstab in case I
    had to restore it. I then modified the fstab file and modifed any entries
    that had "hda" in them to be "hdb" (e.g. the swap partition). WHY? Because
    now that the Linux drive is a Slave (it was originally Master, as you
    recall), it now is referred to as drive hdb instead of hda. If you have
    multiple drives, I hope you get the idea of how your fstab needs to be
    modified.

    10. In the rescue mode shell, I ran 'exit' and ejected the Fedora CD.

    When the PC rebooted, I selected "Windows 2000" from the GRUB screen. My
    system booted into Windows 2000 fine. I rebooted my PC and then selected
    "Fedora Core" from the GRUB screen. My system booted into RH Fedora fine,
    and I was able to login. I ran 'dmesg' as root and examined the messages to
    make sure everything was OK. I also ran 'free' to make sure the swap was
    recognized.

    Hope this helps!

    --john

  2. Re: Dual boot Windows 2000 & Linux from separate disks (SUCCESS)

    I always put the OS's on the first disk, and extend onto other disks if
    necessary. For instance, I have a machine with Fedora, XP and 2000 server
    [if dual booting windows OS's, install XP after win2k server as it doesn't
    recognize the bootloader and you'll have to copy the loader files]. I let
    Grub install on the MBR and it correctly identifies the windows boot
    partition. A further disk with ntfs, fat32 & ext3 partitions is available to
    all. When I tried to get Grub to 'see' a Mandrake installation on a second
    disk, things got ropey and I had to depend on a boot disk which I have put
    on a usb key (handy thing).

    These days, I use Ghost - any OS I want I pour into the primary disk in
    10mins. Top software.
    "John Sasso" wrote in message
    news:7pEJb.106830$JW3.62940@twister.nyroc.rr.com.. .
> [...]

    > had to restore it. I then modified the fstab file and modifed any entries
    > that had "hda" in them to be "hdb" (e.g. the swap partition). WHY?

    Because
    > now that the Linux drive is a Slave (it was originally Master, as you
    > recall), it now is referred to as drive hdb instead of hda. If you have
    > multiple drives, I hope you get the idea of how your fstab needs to be
    > modified.
    >
    > 10. In the rescue mode shell, I ran 'exit' and ejected the Fedora CD.
    >
    > When the PC rebooted, I selected "Windows 2000" from the GRUB screen. My
    > system booted into Windows 2000 fine. I rebooted my PC and then selected
    > "Fedora Core" from the GRUB screen. My system booted into RH Fedora fine,
    > and I was able to login. I ran 'dmesg' as root and examined the messages

    > make sure everything was OK. I also ran 'free' to make sure the swap was

  3. Re: Dual boot Windows 2000 & Linux from separate disks (SUCCESS)

    geophelps wrote:
    > I always put the OS's on the first disk, and extend onto other disks if
    > necessary. For instance, I have a machine with Fedora, XP and 2000 server
    > [if dual booting windows OS's, install XP after win2k server as it doesn't
    > recognize the bootloader and you'll have to copy the loader files]. I let
    > Grub install on the MBR and it correctly identifies the windows boot
    > partition. A further disk with ntfs, fat32 & ext3 partitions is available to
    > all. When I tried to get Grub to 'see' a Mandrake installation on a second
    > disk, things got ropey and I had to depend on a boot disk which I have put
    > on a usb key (handy thing).
    >
    > These days, I use Ghost - any OS I want I pour into the primary disk in
    > 10mins. Top software.
    > "John Sasso" wrote in message
    > news:7pEJb.106830$JW3.62940@twister.nyroc.rr.com.. .

    fwiw -- i have WinNT4 on /dev/sda (for legacy stuff), RH9 on /dev/sdb, and
    Win2K on /dev/sdc (as a 'doze backup, for, as we know, Windoze products aren't
    always interoperable). so far it all works nicely. i expect i will eventually
    get third party API software (Wine, for one) and blow away the MacroSpam O/S.

    Ghost seems good. i have a copy; haven't tried it yet.

+ Reply to Thread