Sound problem with new motherboard and Mandrake 9.2 - Help

This is a discussion on Sound problem with new motherboard and Mandrake 9.2 - Help ; Hello. Just got a new PC with an ASUS A7V8X-MX motherboard. I'm using the on-board soundchip which, according to the manual, is an AD1980 6-Channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface. Mandrake 9.2 autodetected this chip and installed the following drivers: Vendor: ...

  1. Sound problem with new motherboard and Mandrake 9.2

    Hello. Just got a new PC with an ASUS A7V8X-MX
    motherboard. I'm using the on-board soundchip
    which, according to the manual, is an AD1980
    6-Channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface.

    Mandrake 9.2 autodetected this chip and installed
    the following drivers:

    Vendor: Via Technologies
    Alternative drivers: via82cxxx_audio
    Bus: PCI
    Bus identification: 1106:3059:1043:80b0
    Location on the bus: 0:11:5
    Module: snd-via82xx
    Media class: MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

    Mandrake 9.2 claims that the installed drivers are
    the default drivers.

    Unfortunately, I'm getting some serious distortion
    when playing MP3's. It's not a consistent distortion,
    but only comes into effect every 20 seconds or so.
    If I play an mp3, some severe distortion will come
    into effect after, say, 20 seconds and then go away
    after another five seconds or so. If I pause during
    the distortion and then un-pause, the distortion goes
    away.

    I also can't initialise sound in q3demo. I get the
    following error message:

    ------- sound initialization -------
    /dev/dsp: Broken pipe
    Could not toggle.
    ------------------------------------

    Though I'm not sure if these two things are related.

    I'm not sure what to do at this point, as I've tried
    everything else I could think of. I even tried a
    retro install of Mandrake 9.0, but got the same results.
    I tried using different drivers, but had no luck.

    Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Much thanks in advance,

    - ptc1

  2. Re: Sound problem with new motherboard and Mandrake 9.2

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:55:48 +0000, ptc1 wrote:

    > Hello. Just got a new PC with an ASUS A7V8X-MX
    > motherboard. I'm using the on-board soundchip
    > which, according to the manual, is an AD1980
    > 6-Channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface.

    I've found out what the problem is. Apparently,
    this chip doesn't work well with Linux and
    distortion is common. I've used the cross-fader
    fix for XMMS, but this is only a short term solution.
    I'm probably going to replace the motherboard altogether.

    http://www.isotton.com/rants/vt8233.html

    -ptc1

  3. Re: Sound problem with new motherboard and Mandrake 9.2

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:55:48 +0000, ptc1 typed:

    http://www.alsa-project.org/

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  4. Re: Sound problem with new motherboard and Mandrake 9.2

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:48:55 +0000, in article
    an.2004.01.02.02.48.55.650603@nogoaway.com>, ptc1 wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:55:48 +0000, ptc1 wrote:

    > Alternative drivers: via82cxxx_audio
    > Module: snd-via82xx
    > [...]
    > I've found out what the problem is. Apparently,
    > this chip doesn't work well with Linux and
    > distortion is common. I've used the cross-fader
    > fix for XMMS

    Try another MP3 player.

    I have a VIA 8235 on my motherboard and I'm using the ALSA 0.98 driver.
    XMMS gives me sporadic distortion playing some (pressed) audio CDs. On the
    same CDs, the GNOME CD player never does this.

    (On a different system under Windows NT4, the venerable WinAmp gave me
    serious distortion playing some 160kbps MP3s I ripped myself for these very
    CDs. MusicMatch never caused any problems -- although the company spammed
    me incessantly.)

    > I'm probably going to replace the motherboard altogether.

    I suggest trying other players first. The VIA 82xx won't ever provide the
    best sound available but you may have the same player problems I do.

    --
    "[O]bviously Linux owes its heritage to Unix, but not its code.
    We would not, nor will not, make such a claim."

+ Reply to Thread