Setting up a PPP connection with external 56K modem-help needed. - Help

This is a discussion on Setting up a PPP connection with external 56K modem-help needed. - Help ; Hey Guys, Another question for the external harware modems. I am trying to configure my serial port, /dev/ttyS0=COM1 , for a PPP dialup connection, I am a DSL technician for a major telco, and I have setup NIC settings for ...

  1. Setting up a PPP connection with external 56K modem-help needed.

    Hey Guys,

    Another question for the external harware modems. I am trying to
    configure my serial port, /dev/ttyS0=COM1 , for a PPP dialup
    connection, I am a DSL technician for a major telco, and I have setup
    NIC settings for Linux boxes for network and ethernet connects a few
    times, but I have never created a new connection on Linux using PPP
    setup for dialup. If anyone can help me with a walkthru or some
    information on the setup that would be great. Do I have to configure
    the COM port to recognize the external modem?? Do I have to setup a
    setting in the PPP connection wizard that I might be missing????

    I am running Redhat 9, and Mandrake 9.1 on two different boxes, and I
    am running in the Gnome desktop.

    Any help would be very appriciative.

    Thanks,

    Tommy J.

  2. Re: Setting up a PPP connection with external 56K modem-help needed.

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:42:57 -0500, T.J.
    wrote:

    >Do I have to configure
    >the COM port to recognize the external modem?? Do I have to setup a
    >setting in the PPP connection wizard that I might be missing????

    I haven't done PPP since RedHat 6, but make sure /dev/modem points to
    the right port.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns