Mandrake 9.2 Newbie - Help

This is a discussion on Mandrake 9.2 Newbie - Help ; Hi, I install Linux Mandrake 9.2. It dected everything but the sound card. It's not even listed in the control center. How do u load the generic driver? What's the command line..etc. I've looked everywhere. Thanks Joe...

  1. Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    Hi, I install Linux Mandrake 9.2. It dected everything but the sound card.
    It's not even listed in the control center. How do u load the generic
    driver? What's the command line..etc. I've looked everywhere. Thanks Joe

  2. Re: Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    Joe Leach wrote:

    > Hi, I install Linux Mandrake 9.2. It dected everything but the sound
    > card. It's not even listed in the control center. How do u load the
    > generic driver? What's the command line..etc. I've looked everywhere.
    > Thanks Joe

    per instructions previously suggested by Jim W.

    It is found on your CD1 under mandrake\rpms Install this RPM: sndconfig
    Once you have installed the sndconfig package, start a terminal session
    On the command line type: cd /usr/sbin
    type SU
    type sndconfig
    follow the instructions and before you know it , you will have sound

  3. Re: Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    Joe Leach wrote:

    > Hi, I install Linux Mandrake 9.2. It dected everything but the sound
    > card. It's not even listed in the control center. How do u load the
    > generic driver? What's the command line..etc. I've looked everywhere.
    > Thanks Joe

    Can you tell us the make and model number of the sound card?

    Assuming that the card is a pci device, try running this command to see
    if the card is identified:

    lspci

    Or this command:

    lspcidrake

    Once we know the make and model of the card, we can perhaps walk you
    through installing the appropriate module to run it.

  4. Re: Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    I go the audio but you can barely hear it. What shall I do? It's a PII
    233MhZ, 64MB Ram, 4.0GB Hard drive. Has Crystal Audio. Windows Dev. Manager
    only reports Crystal Audio PnP. Thanks Joe
    "Clive Dove" wrote in message
    news:04GIb.47180$INs.25288@twister01.bloor.is.net. cable.rogers.com...
    > Joe Leach wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I install Linux Mandrake 9.2. It dected everything but the sound
    > > card. It's not even listed in the control center. How do u load the
    > > generic driver? What's the command line..etc. I've looked everywhere.
    > > Thanks Joe

    > Can you tell us the make and model number of the sound card?
    >
    > Assuming that the card is a pci device, try running this command to see
    > if the card is identified:
    >
    > lspci
    >
    > Or this command:
    >
    > lspcidrake
    >
    > Once we know the make and model of the card, we can perhaps walk you
    > through installing the appropriate module to run it.

  5. Re: Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    Joe Leach wrote:

    > I go the audio but you can barely hear it. What shall I do? It's a PII
    > 233MhZ, 64MB Ram, 4.0GB Hard drive. Has Crystal Audio. Windows Dev.
    > Manager only reports Crystal Audio PnP. Thanks Joe
    > "Clive Dove" wrote in message
    > news:04GIb.47180$INs.25288@twister01.bloor.is.net. cable.rogers.com...
    >> Joe Leach wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi, I install Linux Mandrake 9.2. It dected everything but the
    >> > sound card. It's not even listed in the control center. How do u
    >> > load the generic driver? What's the command line..etc. I've looked
    >> > everywhere. Thanks Joe

    >> Can you tell us the make and model number of the sound card?
    >>
    >> Assuming that the card is a pci device, try running this command to
    >> see if the card is identified:
    >>
    >> lspci
    >>
    >> Or this command:
    >>
    >> lspcidrake
    >>
    >> Once we know the make and model of the card, we can perhaps walk you
    >> through installing the appropriate module to run it.

    You are using an older model isa sound card with which I have no
    familiarity, so the following is largely guesswork.

    Please check whether you have sndconfig aboard. This is an older
    program but it is better able to configure the older pnp cards than the
    current draksound utility.
    Mandrake does not install sndconfig by default but it is in the
    distribution disks and you can install it by using the Software
    Management facility and the install icon in the Mandrake Control
    Center. (In the K Menu, use this sequence:

    K Menu -> Configuration -> Configure Your Computer
    -> Software Management -> RPMdrake install icon
    (the last icon has a green plus sign)

    The card possibly uses modules snd-cs4231, snd-cs4232 or snd-cs4236 or
    perhaps some ossfree equivalent.
    With an isa card you will probably have to manually set the parameters
    that would be automatically set when using a pci card. These parameters
    will be io, irq, dma dma16 and mpu_io.
    You may also have to install a separate midi module, possibly opl3 and
    manually set its io as well.

    If the correct module is in sndconfig, it allows you to manually set the
    various parameters for the particular card that it finds, otherwise,
    you will have to use modprobe and make manual entries in
    /etc/modules.conf

    As you are getting sound, albeit at a low level, it is possible that a
    module has already been installed but that the mixer sliders are not
    set to a sufficient level. It so, it should show up in
    /etc/modules.conf and sliders should show up when you open a mixer
    window.

    Please open a gui mixer such as kmix or aumix and run all the sliders to
    max. Be ready to quickly lower the volume slider.
    Pleas also go into your bios and make sure that the PNP OS AWARE feature
    is disabled. (It may have a different but similar name.)
    Also check to ensure that any relevant channel is not muted. There is a
    mute control button associated with each slider in each mixer.

    Please run these two commands and post what text they return:
    grep sound /etc/modules.conf
    dmesg | grep pnp

    I note that you are using a windows program to post to this group. It
    would be more convenient if you were able to use a linux program such
    as KNode to post as you would then be able to copy text returned by
    commands by simply highlighting the returned text and then pasting it
    to the reply window. It you are not set up to do this, please try to
    be as accurate as possible in posting what is returned by the above two
    commands.

  6. Re: Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    I got the sound to work with sndconfig. I installed the mixer. My next
    question is how do I get it to work on the Desktop(KDE). What can I run to
    test the sound? Doesn't it have a default sound for booting up or when
    logging iff like Windows? Thanks
    P.S.
    When I check the KDE Control for dound it shiws No Sound Card detected.
    "Clive Dove" wrote in message
    news:uflKb.3480$1g41.3099@twister01.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com...
> [...]

    > max. Be ready to quickly lower the volume slider.
    > Pleas also go into your bios and make sure that the PNP OS AWARE feature
    > is disabled. (It may have a different but similar name.)
    > Also check to ensure that any relevant channel is not muted. There is a
    > mute control button associated with each slider in each mixer.
    >
    > Please run these two commands and post what text they return:
    > grep sound /etc/modules.conf
    > dmesg | grep pnp
    >
    > I note that you are using a windows program to post to this group. It
    > would be more convenient if you were able to use a linux program such
    > as KNode to post as you would then be able to copy text returned by
    > commands by simply highlighting the returned text and then pasting it
    > to the reply window. It you are not set up to do this, please try to
    > be as accurate as possible in posting what is returned by the above two

  7. Re: Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    Joe Leach wrote:

    > I got the sound to work with sndconfig. I installed the mixer. My next
    > question is how do I get it to work on the Desktop(KDE). What can I
    > run to test the sound? Doesn't it have a default sound for booting up
    > or when logging iff like Windows? Thanks
    > P.S.
    > When I check the KDE Control for dound it shiws No Sound Card
    > detected. "Clive Dove" wrote in message

    To set your system notifications, go to the KDE menu and go here:
    Configuration -> KDE -> LookNFeel -> System Notifications.

  8. Re: Mandrake 9.2 Newbie

    Still don't get sound. I do as root, but not as user. ? Thanks

    "Clive Dove" wrote in message
    news:fEZKb.18106$AJB.4702@news04.bloor.is.net.cabl e.rogers.com...
    > Joe Leach wrote:
    >
    > > I got the sound to work with sndconfig. I installed the mixer. My next
    > > question is how do I get it to work on the Desktop(KDE). What can I
    > > run to test the sound? Doesn't it have a default sound for booting up
    > > or when logging iff like Windows? Thanks
    > > P.S.
    > > When I check the KDE Control for dound it shiws No Sound Card
    > > detected. "Clive Dove" wrote in message
    > >

    > To set your system notifications, go to the KDE menu and go here:
    > Configuration -> KDE -> LookNFeel -> System Notifications.

+ Reply to Thread