Signal Over Range - Help

This is a discussion on Signal Over Range - Help ; I just installed RH9 on my system along side Win XP Pro. Everything boots up as supposed to, up to a point anyway. Windows works fine, however Linux doesn't. During the installation of Linux, i told it to boot into ...

  1. Signal Over Range

    I just installed RH9 on my system along side Win XP Pro. Everything
    boots up as supposed to, up to a point anyway. Windows works fine,
    however Linux doesn't. During the installation of Linux, i told it to
    boot into "graphical mode" when Linux loads. It gets to a point, I
    guess when the "desktop" starts to load, then my screen goes black.
    Execpt for the words, "Signal Over Range". Any idea why and how to fix
    this? I am using a NVIDIA GForce MX 5200 graphics card with 128mb ram
    on it.

  2. Re: Signal Over Range

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:45:11 -0800, Lee wrote:

    > I just installed RH9 on my system along side Win XP Pro. Everything
    > boots up as supposed to, up to a point anyway. Windows works fine,
    > however Linux doesn't. During the installation of Linux, i told it to
    > boot into "graphical mode" when Linux loads. It gets to a point, I guess
    > when the "desktop" starts to load, then my screen goes black. Execpt for
    > the words, "Signal Over Range". Any idea why and how to fix this? I am
    > using a NVIDIA GForce MX 5200 graphics card with 128mb ram on it.

    It sounds as if your monitor is screaming at you that you are telling it
    to do something it is not capable of doing. During the installation, did
    you select a display resolution higher than what your monitor is capable
    of displaying, or select the wrong monitor from the list?

    There are a couple of things you can try. Either boot into single user
    mode, or do a Ctrl-Alt-F2 from a running system, and a terminal screen
    should come into view. From there, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config, going to the
    "Screen" section, and removing the mode that is trying to overdrive the
    monitor. (You'll need to be familiar with a text editor such as vi or
    emacs though).

    For example, if the line says:

    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "800x600"

    and your monitor can't do 1600x1200, just remove that part, so it reads

    Modes "1280x1024" "800x600"

    You should then be able to either restart X, or reboot, and your monitor
    should be happier.

    Another thing you could try as a temporary measure would be Ctrl-Alt and
    the numpad's "-" to cycle through X resolutions when you see the "Signal
    Over Range" message. Then, it should come into range and display the
    desktop. From there you can run redhat's gui configuration tool for X:
    redhat-config-xfree86 to get a proper resolution and desktop.

    You're lucky that your monitor is smart enough to recognize that the
    signal is out of range. Some monitors can be damaged by doing such things.

  3. Re: Signal Over Range

    If it doesn't help, try decreasing the maximum vertical and horizontal
    frequencies in XF86Config.

    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:45:11 -0800, Lee wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed RH9 on my system along side Win XP Pro. Everything
    >> boots up as supposed to, up to a point anyway. Windows works fine,
    >> however Linux doesn't. During the installation of Linux, i told it to
    >> boot into "graphical mode" when Linux loads. It gets to a point, I guess
    >> when the "desktop" starts to load, then my screen goes black. Execpt for
    >> the words, "Signal Over Range". Any idea why and how to fix this? I am
    >> using a NVIDIA GForce MX 5200 graphics card with 128mb ram on it.

    > It sounds as if your monitor is screaming at you that you are telling it
    > to do something it is not capable of doing. During the installation, did
    > you select a display resolution higher than what your monitor is capable
    > of displaying, or select the wrong monitor from the list?
    >
    > There are a couple of things you can try. Either boot into single user
    > mode, or do a Ctrl-Alt-F2 from a running system, and a terminal screen
    > should come into view. From there, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config, going to the
    > "Screen" section, and removing the mode that is trying to overdrive the
    > monitor. (You'll need to be familiar with a text editor such as vi or
    > emacs though).
    >
    > For example, if the line says:
    >
    > Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "800x600"
    >
    > and your monitor can't do 1600x1200, just remove that part, so it reads
    >
    > Modes "1280x1024" "800x600"
    >
    > You should then be able to either restart X, or reboot, and your monitor
    > should be happier.
    >

    > Another thing you could try as a temporary measure would be Ctrl-Alt and
    > the numpad's "-" to cycle through X resolutions when you see the "Signal
    > Over Range" message. Then, it should come into range and display the
    > desktop. From there you can run redhat's gui configuration tool for X:
    > redhat-config-xfree86 to get a proper resolution and desktop.
    >
    > You're lucky that your monitor is smart enough to recognize that the
    > signal is out of range. Some monitors can be damaged by doing such things.

  4. Re: Signal Over Range

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:36:02 +0000, Tom Weber wrote:

    > If it doesn't help, try decreasing the maximum vertical and horizontal
    > frequencies in XF86Config.

    Oops, I was going to mention that when I mentioned editing the Modes.

  5. Re: Signal Over Range

    Me wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:36:02 +0000, Tom Weber wrote:
    >
    > > If it doesn't help, try decreasing the maximum vertical and horizontal
    > > frequencies in XF86Config.

    > Oops, I was going to mention that when I mentioned editing the Modes.

    I couldn't get the terminal window up. Where it happens is after the
    "grub" boot loader. Is there anything I could do there? Or within a
    clean install?

  6. Re: Signal Over Range

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:08:13 -0800, Lee wrote:

    > Me wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:36:02 +0000, Tom Weber wrote:
    >>
    >> > If it doesn't help, try decreasing the maximum vertical and
    >> > horizontal frequencies in XF86Config.

    >> Oops, I was going to mention that when I mentioned editing the Modes.

    > I couldn't get the terminal window up. Where it happens is after the
    > "grub" boot loader. Is there anything I could do there? Or within a
    > clean install?

    Boot into single user mode from grub
    (http://plug.org.in/pipermail/plug-ma...il/003564.html has a good
    explanation how to do it), and edit /etc/X11/XF86Config or change
    /etc/inittab so that it doesn't boot straight into X, then proceed to edit
    XF86Config.

    If you have no experience with linux/unix or text editors like vi or emacs
    it may just be easier at this point to reinstall doing 3 things different:

    1. when at the steps for configuring the monitor, make sure you select the
    proper monitor if available in the list, or the proper horizontal sync and
    vertical refresh if your monitor is not in the list.

    2. make sure that the resolution you select is within your monitor's
    capabilities.

    3. don't configure it to boot into X. Boot to a text console to start.
    This can be changed later, once you are sure X is working properly (if
    you're sure 1 and 2 are right, it should be safe to configure it to boot
    into X).

  7. Re: Signal Over Range

    I solved the problem everyone. I got rid of RH9 and went to Fedora
    :-). Now i want to move the grub bootloader out of my mbr. Also, it
    recognizes my dsl modem, on usb, but the usb light on the modem
    doesn't light up. It is a westell external. Any help on these two
    things?

+ Reply to Thread