Connect a Knoppix 3.3 notebook with a XP desktop using crosscable, help requested. - Help

This is a discussion on Connect a Knoppix 3.3 notebook with a XP desktop using crosscable, help requested. - Help ; Dear all. My notebook, running XP Pro, for some stupid reason crashed (THIS time not my fault!) and even with a Win 98 boot floppy the machine does not start-up anymore. A while ago I've downloaded Knoppix 3.2, played with ...

  1. Connect a Knoppix 3.3 notebook with a XP desktop using crosscable, help requested.

    Dear all.

    My notebook, running XP Pro, for some stupid reason crashed (THIS time
    not my fault!) and even with a Win 98 boot floppy the machine does not
    start-up anymore.

    A while ago I've downloaded Knoppix 3.2, played with it, recently
    replaced by Knoppix 3.3 which helped me at a previous crash. In this
    previous crash no formatting, fortunately, was required but a back-up
    to another partition on the same HD could be made (preserving long
    file names).

    Now a back-up exists on one of the other partitions of the notebook,
    but the three remaining partitions contain 10 GIG of info and there
    my idea was to use Knoppix on the Notebook with a desktop and a cross
    cable to save the files.

    Can anyone help with a link to an existing page, or explain me how to
    set-up an XP desktop and "Knoppix Notebook" to be able to "copy" the
    notebook HD partitions contents to the desktop??

    Your kind and ... quick? help is very much appreciated.

    Best regards fron The Netherlands,

    Frank

    (What a way to pass time at Christmas...)

  2. Re: Connect a Knoppix 3.3 notebook with a XP desktop using crosscable, help requested.

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:59:22 -0800, Frank wrote:

    > Dear all.
    >
    > My notebook, running XP Pro, for some stupid reason crashed (THIS time
    > not my fault!) and even with a Win 98 boot floppy the machine does not
    > start-up anymore.
    >
    > A while ago I've downloaded Knoppix 3.2, played with it, recently
    > replaced by Knoppix 3.3 which helped me at a previous crash. In this
    > previous crash no formatting, fortunately, was required but a back-up
    > to another partition on the same HD could be made (preserving long
    > file names).
    >
    > Now a back-up exists on one of the other partitions of the notebook,
    > but the three remaining partitions contain 10 GIG of info and there
    > my idea was to use Knoppix on the Notebook with a desktop and a cross
    > cable to save the files.
    >
    > Can anyone help with a link to an existing page, or explain me how to
    > set-up an XP desktop and "Knoppix Notebook" to be able to "copy" the
    > notebook HD partitions contents to the desktop??
    >
    > Your kind and ... quick? help is very much appreciated.

    Try this:

    On the XP machine, go to My Network Places --> View Connections -->
    Properties of the card --> TCP/IP Properties --> Specify an IP address,
    e.g. 192.168.10.1 (probably you should unplug the net cable first, as I
    don't know your network). OK as appropriate.

    Boot Knoppix, look at the setting menu on the taskbar, somewhere is a
    program called net card config of something. Plug the machines together
    with a crossover. Load netcardconfig, specify the IP 192.168.10.2 . OK -->
    oK etc.

    From windows:
    Start, run, cmd . Type
    ping 192.168.10.2
    you should get a response.

    or from knoppix, in a shell, use ping 192.168.10.1 .

    Share a folder on the XP machine with write access.

    Let's say the XP machine is called STUDY (like mine)
    Knoppix: In the root console, type:
    smbclient -L study -U adminstrator
    You'll get some similar like this (with different shares and IPs)
    matt@hex matt $ smbclient -L study -U administrator
    added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
    Password:
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    hpdj940c Printer hp deskjet 940c series
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    Documents Disk
    print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    C$ Disk Default share

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    STUDY Study Computer

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    WORKGROUP STUDY

    The Documents share here is my shared documents folder. Now do this:
    mkdir /mnt/winshare
    mount -t smbfs //study/Documents /mnt/winshare
    Hopefully no errors :-)
    cd /mnt/winshare
    ls
    should list the files on the windows machine.
    mount your other drives (click the icons in KDE). You should be able to
    drag and drop stuff if you open /mnt/winshare in konqueror. If not, copy
    then from the root shell, e.g:
    cp -Rv /mnt/hda1/* /mnt/winshare/
    -R for recursive (copys whole directory trees)
    -v for verbose (tell you when it works, not just when it doesn't)

    you might need to disable the XP firewall.

    HTH

    --
    Matt

  3. Re: Connect a Knoppix 3.3 notebook with a XP desktop using crosscable,help requested.

    Matt wrote:
> [...]

    > --------- -------
    > STUDY Study Computer
    >
    > Workgroup Master
    > --------- -------
    > WORKGROUP STUDY
    >
    > The Documents share here is my shared documents folder. Now do this:
    > mkdir /mnt/winshare
    > mount -t smbfs //study/Documents /mnt/winshare
    > Hopefully no errors :-)
    > cd /mnt/winshare
    > ls
    > should list the files on the windows machine.
    > mount your other drives (click the icons in KDE). You should be able to
    > drag and drop stuff if you open /mnt/winshare in konqueror. If not, copy
    > then from the root shell, e.g:
    > cp -Rv /mnt/hda1/* /mnt/winshare/
    > -R for recursive (copys whole directory trees)
    > -v for verbose (tell you when it works, not just when it doesn't)
    >
    > you might need to disable the XP firewall.

    Have you tried a "Laptop Hard Drive Adapter?" Connect it to your
    desktop pc and run it as a slave. Could make things a little easier for
    you. Only costs about 10 bucks usd.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...17705&CatId=81

    \\ )

  4. Re: Connect a Knoppix 3.3 notebook with a XP desktop using crosscable, help requested.

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:49:20 -0600, manic_squared wrote:

    > Matt wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:59:22 -0800, Frank wrote:
    >>

    >>>Dear all.
    >>>
    >>>My notebook, running XP Pro, for some stupid reason crashed (THIS time
    >>>not my fault!) and even with a Win 98 boot floppy the machine does not
    >>>start-up anymore.
    >>>
    >>>A while ago I've downloaded Knoppix 3.2, played with it, recently
    >>>replaced by Knoppix 3.3 which helped me at a previous crash. In this
    >>>previous crash no formatting, fortunately, was required but a back-up
    >>>to another partition on the same HD could be made (preserving long
    >>>file names).

    > Have you tried a "Laptop Hard Drive Adapter?" Connect it to your
    > desktop pc and run it as a slave. Could make things a little easier for
    > you. Only costs about 10 bucks usd.

    That's $10, as a cheapskate I'd use knoppix :-) Also, according to the
    manual for my ThinkPad I should avoid removing the drive as it might wear
    out - it says 3 times max, IIRC. Something to bear in mind.

    I've written my advice into a web page, comments welcome. (Knoppix
    screenshots being done now, Windows one's when I finish a download and can
    boot into windows on the other PC)

    --
    Matt