Newbie question: window managers - Help

This is a discussion on Newbie question: window managers - Help ; My Mandrake 9.1 system is set up to not start X at boot. So I log in and type 'startx' and it launches KDE. That's cool. But if I'm interested in trying out Gnome or another window manager (which I ...

  1. Newbie question: window managers

    My Mandrake 9.1 system is set up to not start X at boot. So I log in and
    type 'startx' and it launches KDE. That's cool. But if I'm interested
    in trying out Gnome or another window manager (which I installed), how
    can I launch them?
    --
    TIA,

    Charles A. Burge
    ------------------------
    Work is never truly work unless you'd rather
    be doing something else. -- Bill Cosby

  2. Re: Newbie question: window managers

    Charles A. Burge wrote:

    > My Mandrake 9.1 system is set up to not start X at boot. So I log in and
    > type 'startx' and it launches KDE. That's cool. But if I'm interested
    > in trying out Gnome or another window manager (which I installed), how
    > can I launch them?

    Take a look at the .xinitrc in your home directory.

  3. Re: Newbie question: window managers

    Durk van Veen wrote:

    > Charles A. Burge wrote:
    >
    >> My Mandrake 9.1 system is set up to not start X at boot. So I log in and
    >> type 'startx' and it launches KDE. That's cool. But if I'm interested
    >> in trying out Gnome or another window manager (which I installed), how
    >> can I launch them?

    > Take a look at the .xinitrc in your home directory.

    I've had Mandrake 9.1 and if I recall right, it wasn't that easy. You might
    have to call the file ".xsession" instead, or write GNOME in ".desktop".

  4. Re: Newbie question: window managers

    try typing "gdm"... without the quotes

    i think gdm means "gnome display manager"

    rocannon