Re: Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment? - Help

This is a discussion on Re: Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment? - Help ; I was under the impression that IDE devices werent safe to pull out of a live machine. I tried once with a hdd i had, and it blew the hdd, and the PSU with it. I think most people would ...

  1. Re: Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment?

    I was under the impression that IDE devices werent safe to pull out of a
    live machine. I tried once with a hdd i had, and it blew the hdd, and the
    PSU with it. I think most people would advise against it, but it could be
    interesting ...

    ---

  2. Re: Hotplugging IDE drives in a non-RAID environment?

    "chrisg" <70810@blackpool.ac.uk> wrote in message news:...
    > I was under the impression that IDE devices werent safe to pull out of a
    > live machine. I tried once with a hdd i had, and it blew the hdd, and the
    > PSU with it. I think most people would advise against it, but it could be
    > interesting ...

    If you cut the power and wait until the drive spin down, it would be
    safe
    to pull out of a live machine. However, the reverse is not necessary
    true. There is no easy way to do a drive reset, as some people have
    suggested.