Dual booting w/ Win2K on 2nd disk ? - Help

This is a discussion on Dual booting w/ Win2K on 2nd disk ? - Help ; I have RedHat Fedora Core 1 installed on one disk, and Windows 2000 installed on another disk. What I would like to do is dual-boot. I have looked at dual-boot howtos, esp. those for Win2K, but they don't address my ...

  1. Dual booting w/ Win2K on 2nd disk ?

    I have RedHat Fedora Core 1 installed on one disk, and Windows 2000
    installed on another disk. What I would like to do is dual-boot. I have
    looked at dual-boot howtos, esp. those for Win2K, but they don't address my
    particular configuration.

    What is the best way I can go about configuring dual-boot given my
    dual-disk, OS-per-disk setup? I'd prefer not to go through any
    time-consuming OS re-installs. Thanks!

    --john

  2. Re: Dual booting w/ Win2K on 2nd disk ?

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:04:09 +0000, John Sasso wrote:

    > I have RedHat Fedora Core 1 installed on one disk, and Windows 2000
    > installed on another disk. What I would like to do is dual-boot. I have
    > looked at dual-boot howtos, esp. those for Win2K, but they don't address my
    > particular configuration.
    >
    > What is the best way I can go about configuring dual-boot given my
    > dual-disk, OS-per-disk setup? I'd prefer not to go through any
    > time-consuming OS re-installs. Thanks!

    I'm a Linux newbie, but I've got Mandrake 9.2 and Win XP (NTFS) on two
    seperate drives, and LILO automatically detected both and correctly
    configured itself.

    (Almost correctly. I have a third drive that used to have Win 98 on it,
    and I deleted the \WINDOWS directory but left the MBR intact. LILO also
    stuck that on the boot menu, and I had to take it off. Hardly LILO's
    fault, though.)

    --
    \\\\\ ----> hedgehog@hedgie.com <----
    \\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

    Visit http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
    "Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

  3. Re: Dual booting w/ Win2K on 2nd disk ?

    John Sasso wrote:
    > I have RedHat Fedora Core 1 installed on one disk, and Windows 2000
    > installed on another disk. What I would like to do is dual-boot. I have
    > looked at dual-boot howtos, esp. those for Win2K, but they don't address my
    > particular configuration.
    >
    > What is the best way I can go about configuring dual-boot given my
    > dual-disk, OS-per-disk setup? I'd prefer not to go through any
    > time-consuming OS re-installs. Thanks!
    >
    > --john

    What you've read about dual boot applies to you too! If you are booting
    from Windows 2000, then copy the first 512 bytes from the RedHat's boot
    partition and save it as a file on a drive accessible by Win2k. Then,
    add an entry to the boot.ini of Win2k:
    X:\filename.ext="RedHat McDonalds Core"
    (X:\filename.ext is the pathname of the file containing the 512 bytes)

    If you are booting from Linux, you can modify lilo.conf to boot Windows
    using:
    other=/dev/hdxx
    label=Win2k
    (/dev/hdxx is the device partition containing the Win2k bootloader)

    BTW, what is this RedHat Fedora Core that you speak of? Is "Fedora Core"
    something like "Enigma" for version 7.1 and "Shrike" for version 9.0? It
    sounds a lot like Septerra Core, if you ask me.....

    -Mr.I-know-Septerra-Core-is-a-game

  4. Re: Dual booting w/ Win2K on 2nd disk ?

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:14:20 +1400, NicK wrote:

    > BTW, what is this RedHat Fedora Core that you speak of? Is "Fedora Core"
    > something like "Enigma" for version 7.1 and "Shrike" for version 9.0? It
    > sounds a lot like Septerra Core, if you ask me.....

    Red Hat stopped working on Red Hat Linux (the free version of their
    distro) as a formal corporate task, and transformed it into a community
    project. Fedora Core 1.0 is basically what Red Hat Linux 10.0 would've
    been if this had not happened. See http://fedora.redhat.com/ for more.

  5. Re: Dual booting w/ Win2K on 2nd disk ?

    NicK wrote:

    > If you are booting from Linux, you can modify lilo.conf to boot Windows
    > using:
    > other=/dev/hdxx
    > label=Win2k
    > (/dev/hdxx is the device partition containing the Win2k bootloader)

    This will not work if W2k is on the 2nd disk.
    I really think you should try out your advice before publishing it.

    Here is a grub stanza for W2k on a second disk
    title Windows 2000
    map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
    map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)