Alsa sound - Help

This is a discussion on Alsa sound - Help ; Why is it that I have some sound app playing, XMMS, and an other app that I have set up to notify me with sounds, kopete, doesn't play the sound, but when i stop XMMS a flood of the notify ...

  1. Alsa sound

    Why is it that I have some sound app playing, XMMS, and an other app that I
    have set up to notify me with sounds, kopete, doesn't play the sound, but
    when i stop XMMS a flood of the notify sounds plays, like its been backing
    up. Is this something I will have to get used to in linux? Or is there a
    work around? For informational purposes I'm running the 2.6 kernel on
    redhat 9.0(I know whats wrong with me huh?)

    David

  2. Re: Alsa sound

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:28:43 +0000, David M Noriega wrote:

    > Why is it that I have some sound app playing, XMMS, and an other app that I
    > have set up to notify me with sounds, kopete, doesn't play the sound, but
    > when i stop XMMS a flood of the notify sounds plays, like its been backing
    > up. Is this something I will have to get used to in linux? Or is there a
    > work around? For informational purposes I'm running the 2.6 kernel on
    > redhat 9.0(I know whats wrong with me huh?)
    >
    > David

    I had the same problem and it was solved by getting rid of alsa. I
    suspect that the cause is that you have some kernel sound modules
    loaded as well as alsa modules. I'm no expert though. Aren't the
    kernel modules alsa now in 2.6? Did you set up another copy of alsa?
    daveA

    --
    Failure is certain when you have failed to identify your enemy and
    invaded the wrong country, because not only are you not harming the

  3. Re: Alsa sound

    Hello,

    That is because ALSA nor OSS can play two or more sounds at the same
    time. You need to install eSound or Arts, they will allow you two play
    two or more sounds. Be aware that this is not a sound system, it kinda
    takes two or more sounds, join them to make one, and sends it to ALSA. I
    have Fedora Core 1 and eSound is included.

    Rafael

    David M Noriega wrote:
    > Why is it that I have some sound app playing, XMMS, and an other app that I
    > have set up to notify me with sounds, kopete, doesn't play the sound, but
    > when i stop XMMS a flood of the notify sounds plays, like its been backing
    > up. Is this something I will have to get used to in linux? Or is there a
    > work around? For informational purposes I'm running the 2.6 kernel on
    > redhat 9.0(I know whats wrong with me huh?)
    >
    > David

  4. Re: Alsa sound

    David M Noriega wrote:
    > Why is it that I have some sound app playing, XMMS, and an other app that I
    > have set up to notify me with sounds, kopete, doesn't play the sound, but
    > when i stop XMMS a flood of the notify sounds plays, like its been backing
    > up. Is this something I will have to get used to in linux? Or is there a
    > work around? For informational purposes I'm running the 2.6 kernel on
    > redhat 9.0(I know whats wrong with me huh?)
    >
    > David

    It seems that either XMMS is using OSS output, and not ALSA. If OSS is
    being emulated through ALSA, there shouldn't be a problem. I stopped
    using XMMS and started to use Zinf instead (it worked better with ALSA).
    I've even had Zinf playing audio, while testing Unreal Tournament, with
    no audio conflicts.

    I stopped using any OSS driver, and switched completely to ALSA (with
    OSS emulation), even OSS dependent programs (such as 'amp' and 'sox')
    can play simultaneously.

    Is kopete using ESD? Maybe recompling ESD with support for ALSA (if at
    all possible) will help.

+ Reply to Thread