Second Hard Drive Help - Help

This is a discussion on Second Hard Drive Help - Help ; I bought a Western Digital 160gb hard drive; it came with a Promise Ultra 100TX2 controller. I have a 586 running the 2.4.18 kernel w/ slackware 8.1. I don't know what I need to do to have this hard drive ...

  1. Second Hard Drive Help

    I bought a Western Digital 160gb hard drive; it came with a Promise Ultra
    100TX2 controller. I have a 586 running the 2.4.18 kernel w/ slackware
    8.1. I don't know what I need to do to have this hard drive usable. Can
    someone please help me? cfdisk only sees my first hard drive.

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  2. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:46:43 GMT, Naota wrote:

    > Can
    >someone please help me? cfdisk only sees my first hard drive.

    Go into your CMOS setup program and make sure it's recognized
    correctly. If not, that may be the problem.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:51:43 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:

    > Go into your CMOS setup program and make sure it's recognized
    > correctly. If not, that may be the problem.

    I really appreciate your fast response. Thank you very much.

    Okay, I'm in the CMOS setup, and I see Primary Master as User 6449 784 0
    13327 63 LBA. For Primary Slave, Secondary Master, and Secondary Slave I
    can cycle through my available options, but none of them from what I can
    tell are my new hard drive. So, I tried to set it as "Auto," hoping it'd
    automatically detect something. That didn't work. cfdisk still doesn't
    see anything different.

    In dmesg, I saw this:

    PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 09
    PIIX4: chipset revision 1
    PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hdaio, hdbio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdcio, hddio
    PDC20268: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 48
    PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:09.0
    PDC20268: chipset revision 2
    PDC20268: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    PDC20268: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary MASTER Mode.
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x7400-0x7407, BIOS settings: hdeio, hdfio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x7408-0x740f, BIOS settings: hdgio, hdhio
    hda: WDC AC36400L, ATA DISK drive

    I think the above is referring to the new controller on my board and/or
    the new hdd itself. A few lines down, I saw the following:

    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
    request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
    request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted

    I don't recall that being there before, but I don't know what it's about.
    A non-linux friend told me the new hdd is going to be considered scsi on
    my system because of the controller, so maybe it's about the new disk.
    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  4. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:57:18 GMT, Naota wrote:

    >Okay, I'm in the CMOS setup, and I see Primary Master as User 6449 784 0
    >13327 63 LBA. For Primary Slave, Secondary Master, and Secondary Slave I
    >can cycle through my available options, but none of them from what I can
    >tell are my new hard drive.

    That's it then. I recently had to upgrade my motherboard because it
    couldn't understand anything above about 30Gig, and my new drive is
    80. I hope it's not that bad in your case, but there's something
    wrong somewhere. Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for
    assistance.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  5. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    Naota wrote:

    First, your BIOS setup probably won't show anything about
    your add-on Promise controller.

    > In dmesg, I saw this:
    >
    > PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 09
    > PIIX4: chipset revision 1
    > PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    > ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hdaio, hdbio
    > ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdcio, hddio

    These lines relate to the built in IDE controller on your
    motherboard.

    > PDC20268: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 48
    > PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:09.0

    OK, the kernel sees your Promise controller.

    > PDC20268: chipset revision 2
    > PDC20268: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    > PDC20268: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary MASTER Mode.
    > ide2: BM-DMA at 0x7400-0x7407, BIOS settings: hdeio, hdfio
    > ide3: BM-DMA at 0x7408-0x740f, BIOS settings: hdgio, hdhio

    ide2 and ide3 are the two channels on the Promise
    controller. Notice from above that the built-in IDE
    controller has channels ide0 and ide1.

    > hda: WDC AC36400L, ATA DISK drive

    That is your existing 6.4GB Western Digital drive, a.k.a.
    /dev/hda.

    > SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    > request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
    > request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
    > request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
    >
    > I don't recall that being there before, but I don't know what it's about.
    > A non-linux friend told me the new hdd is going to be considered scsi on
    > my system because of the controller, so maybe it's about the new disk.

    You might want to read this thread:
    http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...11.1/1035.html

    Searching google for PDC20268 also brings up a bunch of hits.

    --
    Kevin D. Snodgrass
    kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  6. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:18:15 -0600, "Kevin D. Snodgrass"
    wrote:

    >First, your BIOS setup probably won't show anything about
    >your add-on Promise controller.

    True. However, I'd think it would show the drive connected to it.
    Even so, thanx for your input and assistance.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:18:15 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:

    > You might want to read this thread:
    > http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...11.1/1035.html
    >
    > Searching google for PDC20268 also brings up a bunch of hits.

    Thanks for your help. I'm going to get reading; before checking this
    group again, I was on the verge of, after trying many different
    BIOS/hardware setups, returning the hard drive and waiting until I can buy
    another computer.

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  8. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:18:15 -0600, "Kevin D. Snodgrass"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>First, your BIOS setup probably won't show anything about
    >>your add-on Promise controller.

    > True. However, I'd think it would show the drive connected to it.
    > Even so, thanx for your input and assistance.

    Maybe. Something to look at next time you boot. During
    post the BIOS detects and IDs all hard drives and ATAPI
    drives connected to the built-in EIDE controller. The BIOS
    also allows you to press , , or somesuch to
    enter the setup routine. If the option to enter setup
    disappears before the Promise card activates and the
    detection/ID sequence for drives attached to it happens then
    the BIOS setup will not have any info on those drives. This
    is because the Promise card has its own BIOS PROM that must
    run to do this detection/ID and it hasn't happened yet. I
    suspect this will be the case since this card, IIRC, has
    hardware RAID capabilities.

    At least that's my understanding of the POST sequence. But
    I haven't dealt with "modern" BIOS POST sequences, at least
    not since 1996 or so.

    --
    Kevin D. Snodgrass
    kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  9. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    Naota wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:18:15 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
    >

    >>You might want to read this thread:
    >>http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...11.1/1035.html
    >>
    >>Searching google for PDC20268 also brings up a bunch of hits.

    > Thanks for your help. I'm going to get reading; before checking this
    > group again, I was on the verge of, after trying many different
    > BIOS/hardware setups, returning the hard drive and waiting until I can buy
    > another computer.

    See my reply to Joe Zeff, post just a couple minutes ago.
    Wasn't paying close enough attention and thought he was the
    one with problem. :-)

    Another question I just thought of, does this card have its
    own BIOS setup? Like SCSI cards do? You may need to enter
    that and make some adjustments.

    --
    Kevin D. Snodgrass
    kdsnodgrass (at) yahoo [dot] com

  10. Re: Second Hard Drive Help

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:34:11 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:

    > See my reply to Joe Zeff, post just a couple minutes ago.
    > Wasn't paying close enough attention and thought he was the
    > one with problem. :-)
    >
    > Another question I just thought of, does this card have its
    > own BIOS setup? Like SCSI cards do? You may need to enter
    > that and make some adjustments.

    Thanks for all your help, but I'm going to build an updated machine w/
    my next pay check; I just really needed storange at the moment, because
    I've only 300 mb left on the main computer's hdd. I would try putting
    this hdd into the 686, but there's no space at all inside the case. The
    586 in question has plenty of space, so I thought it'd work, but I guess
    it's just too old.

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

+ Reply to Thread