Kernel Headers - Help

This is a discussion on Kernel Headers - Help ; In order for me to be able to compile the drivers for my NVidia geforce4 mx4 440 video card, the install/run program needs the kernel headers so it can compile the kernel interface. It says " you must install the ...

  1. Kernel Headers

    In order for me to be able to compile the drivers for my NVidia geforce4 mx4
    440 video card, the install/run program needs the kernel headers so it can
    compile the kernel interface. It says " you must install the kernel-sources
    package for your kernel." I'm new to linux and have no idea what it's
    asking for or where to get it. I'm using Mandrake 9.2, kernel 2.4.22.
    I have looked all over the Mandrake site and can't locate and info about
    them.
    Are kernel headers Distro specific, or do they just have to do with the
    kernel version.

  2. Re: Kernel Headers

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:51:05 GMT, "Jakle" wrote:

    > asking for or where to get it. I'm using Mandrake 9.2, kernel 2.4.22.
    > I have looked all over the Mandrake site and can't locate and info about
    > them.

    .... should be right there on your install CD - run the
    [software] installer module and go fishing around

    Minnie Mouse is a slow maze learner.

  3. Re: Kernel Headers

    mjt wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:51:05 GMT, "Jakle" wrote:
    >
    >> asking for or where to get it. I'm using Mandrake 9.2, kernel 2.4.22.
    >> I have looked all over the Mandrake site and can't locate and info
    >> about them.

    > ... should be right there on your install CD - run the
    > [software] installer module and go fishing around

    Also, see the LFS book (www.linuxfromscratch.org) for good info on
    installing kernel headers, and _which_ version of the headers to install
    (mostly you need to be careful to install the headers that your glibc was
    compiled with, not necessarily the latest and greatest).

+ Reply to Thread