XFree86 Loads incredibly slow in the following scenario - Help

This is a discussion on XFree86 Loads incredibly slow in the following scenario - Help ; A brief summary: Gnome loads painfully slow when I disconnect from the network. To start: I am using Debian with gdm 2.4.1 gnome 2.2.0 version numbers found using "apt-cache show gdm" "apt-cache show libgnome2-0" A few months ago I started ...

  1. XFree86 Loads incredibly slow in the following scenario

    A brief summary: Gnome loads painfully slow when I disconnect from the
    network.

    To start: I am using
    Debian with
    gdm 2.4.1
    gnome 2.2.0
    version numbers found using
    "apt-cache show gdm"
    "apt-cache show libgnome2-0"

    A few months ago I started to get the following error when Gnome starts
    after upgrading various parts. So long ago I cannot remember what. But it
    was probably a dist upgrade
    this is not the main problem but is perhaps related so it is inluded and
    also what I tried to fix it.
    Could not look up internet address for perseus.
    This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.
    It may be possible to corrent the problem by adding
    perseus to the file /etc/hosts

    I have tried ever combination I have come accoss on the net yet
    nothing seems to work.

    127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain perseus
    127.0.0.1 perseus
    127.0.0.1 localhost perseus
    And many many more.
    Even specifiying the ip address assigned by my dhcp server has not
    fixed it.

    I changed to hostname to narnia and tried again, still nothing

    I can ping the hostname from a console.
    This must be a problem other then the entry in /etc/hosts

    while the message is little more then an annoyance because at the time
    everything worked fine. Gnome ran at a regular speed. I think it was after I
    moved to another city. Then gnome started to go PAINFULY slow. As if it is
    continualy trying and timing out network connections. This was annoying but
    I could not figure out why it was happening. And just recently I replaced my
    dhcp server and then everything was fine again other then the error message
    about /etc/hosts showing up at login. BUT if I unplug the network cable and
    it does not have a connection to the "Internet" (via dissconecting the dhcp
    server from the net) it will go very slow. Untill the connection is
    re-connected. This was not effecting just the speed of gnome starting up but
    also the speed of applications. Sometimes it would take over a minute to
    show a terminal and top/gtop would show very minimal cpu usage. Now I wonder
    why it is so reliant on the connection to the internet and why it was still
    slow with a connection to the internet while on my old dhcp server( Linux
    router project)

    Any idea's ? Im stumped

    - Eric

  2. Re: XFree86 Loads incredibly slow in the following scenario

    "Charon" wrote in message news:<8aTDb.731189$pl3.512262@pd7tw3no>...
    > A brief summary: Gnome loads painfully slow when I disconnect from the
    > network.

    [snip]

    > 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain perseus
    > 127.0.0.1 perseus
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost perseus
    > And many many more.
    > Even specifiying the ip address assigned by my dhcp server has not
    > fixed it.

    It is alleged that 127.0.0.1 should never be named with the name of
    the machine as it causes problems with some programs. Could be the
    problem in this case? Total guess though!

  3. Re: XFree86 Loads incredibly slow in the following scenario

    Just tried a few lines in /etc/init.d/hosts without 127.0.0.1 still not
    effect.

    "Mattias Honrendgard" wrote in message
    news:dd394218.0312180920.53a38c8f@posting.google.c om...
    > "Charon" wrote in message

    > > A brief summary: Gnome loads painfully slow when I disconnect from the
    > > network.

    > [snip]
    > >
    > > 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain perseus
    > > 127.0.0.1 perseus
    > > 127.0.0.1 localhost perseus
    > > And many many more.
    > > Even specifiying the ip address assigned by my dhcp server has not
    > > fixed it.

    > It is alleged that 127.0.0.1 should never be named with the name of
    > the machine as it causes problems with some programs. Could be the
    > problem in this case? Total guess though!

+ Reply to Thread