Install SuSe Linux 9 - Help

This is a discussion on Install SuSe Linux 9 - Help ; It's time to start looking at Linux. Now that Novell and IBM have both put millions of $$$ into SuSe Linux I'd like to check them out first. I've downloaded the latest version from ftp.suse.com yet I have no idea ...

  1. Install SuSe Linux 9

    It's time to start looking at Linux. Now that Novell and IBM have both put
    millions of $$$ into SuSe Linux I'd like to check them out first. I've
    downloaded the latest version from ftp.suse.com yet I have no idea how to
    install it. Does anyone out there have an installation manual?

    Mike
    CCNI
    www.ccni.com

  2. Re: Install SuSe Linux 9

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:22:21 -0800, "Mike Jones, A+ MCSE" wrote:

    > Does anyone out there have an installation manual?

    .... there's one at the suse.com site for installing
    the ftp version

    http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...nux/index.html

    Oh Dad! We're ALL Devo!

  3. Re: Install SuSe Linux 9

    > > Does anyone out there have an installation manual?
    >
    > ... there's one at the suse.com site for installing
    > the ftp version
    >
    > http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...nux/index.html

    I read that page prior to posting and it doesn't help at all. Again, this
    will be my first time installing Linux and I need more than that page to do
    it.

  4. Re: Install SuSe Linux 9

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:46:17 -0800, "Mike Jones, A+ MCSE" wrote:

    > > http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...nux/index.html
    > >

    > I read that page prior to posting and it doesn't help at all. Again, this
    > will be my first time installing Linux and I need more than that page to do
    > it.

    .... then i highly recommend the boxed set

    People who develop the habit of thinking of themselves as world
    citizens are fulfilling the first requirement of sanity in our time.

  5. Re: Install SuSe Linux 9

    Hi there,

    Mike Jones, A+ MCSE wrote:
    > It's time to start looking at Linux. Now that Novell and IBM have both put
    > millions of $$$ into SuSe Linux I'd like to check them out first. I've
    > downloaded the latest version from ftp.suse.com yet I have no idea how to
    > install it. Does anyone out there have an installation manual?

    Check the SuSe website for details on what to do. Usually you download
    ISO images, burn them to CD, and then boot the CD. The booted installer
    takes over and Bob's your Auntie...

    --
    Kind regards,

  6. Re: Install SuSe Linux 9

    "Mike Jones, A+ MCSE" wrote in message news:...

    > It's time to start looking at Linux. Now that Novell and IBM have both put
    > millions of $$$ into SuSe Linux I'd like to check them out first. I've
    > downloaded the latest version from ftp.suse.com yet I have no idea how to
    > install it. Does anyone out there have an installation manual?
    >
    > Mike
    > CCNI
    > www.ccni.com

    The site is a bit scarce on instructions. Maybe they want you to pay
    the lucre.

    I assume you are using WinDows currently and want to make dual boot.
    You will first have to resize the C: partition (using partition magic)
    and move it up a bit to allow Linux to become the primary partition.
    On my system I created a second D: partition (FAT) for the install
    files( 3GB > ).

    Download all directories containing rpm files keeping the same
    directory.
    Using the utilities in the dosutils dir make two floppies.

    Boot from the first.
    This prompts for the second.
    Select manual install
    Then point the installer to the partition the install tree is on. eg
    hda4 is the D drive.

    Enter the full path to the tree eg /archive/8.2/

    Twenty minutes later you have a dual boot system.
    Use the built in config utility (YaST) to configure.

+ Reply to Thread