"scp" syntax problem - Help

This is a discussion on "scp" syntax problem - Help ; Hi, I'd like to scp a file to an user account on a remote server. I know the user account name and the password, but the computer I'm sitting at does not have that very user account, and I find ...

  1. "scp" syntax problem

    Hi,

    I'd like to scp a file to an user account on a remote server.

    I know the user account name and the password, but the computer I'm sitting
    at does not have that very user account, and I find myself unable to get
    scp to understand that the account I' want to log on to is not the same as
    the account I'm sitting at right now. I can't file any switch similar to
    ssh's "-l my_user_name" in scp. How should I solve this?

    Thanks,

    JR

  2. Re: "scp" syntax problem

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:46:31 +0100, jon rogers wrote:

    > I'd like to scp a file to an user account on a remote server.

    .... show us how you're executing scp ...

    Re graphics: A picture is worth 10K words -- but only those to
    describe the picture. Hardly any sets of 10K words can be
    adequately described with pictures.

  3. Re: "scp" syntax problem

    jon rogers wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to scp a file to an user account on a remote server.
    >
    > I can't file any switch similar to
    > ssh's "-l my_user_name" in scp. How should I solve this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JR

    "man scp" will give you the answer.

    scp filename user@host:/path/

  4. Re: "scp" syntax problem

    jon rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to scp a file to an user account on a remote server.
    >
    > I know the user account name and the password, but the computer I'm sitting
    > at does not have that very user account, and I find myself unable to get
    > scp to understand that the account I' want to log on to is not the same as
    > the account I'm sitting at right now. I can't file any switch similar to
    > ssh's "-l my_user_name" in scp. How should I solve this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JR

    scp @:
    Simply reverse the two parameters to copy a remote file to the local machine.

    As has been pointed out, this is in your manpages.

    --
    Chris Shepherd

+ Reply to Thread