What is Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17) ?? - Help

This is a discussion on What is Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17) ?? - Help ; Hi, With the Linux partition tool (LILO), my -now unmountable- C and E Harddrives appear as follows : -Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17). These used to be NTFS partitions, and contain all my data... Windows can't read them anymore ...

  1. What is Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17) ??

    Hi,
    With the Linux partition tool (LILO), my -now unmountable- C and E
    Harddrives appear as follows :

    -Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17).

    These used to be NTFS partitions, and contain all my data...
    Windows can't read them anymore : HELP!!

    Thanks

  2. Re: What is Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17) ??

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:06:16 -0800, delmouly typed:

    > Hi,
    > With the Linux partition tool (LILO), my -now unmountable- C and E
    > Harddrives appear as follows :

    LILO is not a partition tool, it's a boot loader

    > -Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17).
    >
    > These used to be NTFS partitions, and contain all my data... Windows
    > can't read them anymore : HELP!!

    If the partitions should be NTFS (0x07) then make them so.....

    http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partition...n_types-1.html

    As you can see both partition types 0x07 and 0x17 are IFS which can be
    OS/2's HPFS, Windows NTFS, Advanced Unix or QNX2.X(pre-1988). Type 0x07 is
    not hidden and type 0x17 is hidden.

    man cfdisk

    Oppps..... sorry I see you uninstalled LILO (lilo -u) and erased Linux.

    Boot from the CD into the recovery console and type fixmbr and maybe
    fixboot.

    Or try; http://www.partition-manager.com/

    Your problem is not Linux but rather your lack of understanding and
    troubleshooting abilities. It sounds like you were using LILO to hide the
    Windows partitions for some reason and forgot to unhide them before
    removing both LILO and Linux, Good Luck!!!!

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: What is Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17) ??

    Lenard wrote in message news:...
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:06:16 -0800, delmouly typed:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > With the Linux partition tool (LILO), my -now unmountable- C and E
    > > Harddrives appear as follows :

    > LILO is not a partition tool, it's a boot loader
    >

    > > -Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17).
    > >
    > > These used to be NTFS partitions, and contain all my data... Windows
    > > can't read them anymore : HELP!!

    > If the partitions should be NTFS (0x07) then make them so.....
    >
    > http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partition...n_types-1.html
    >
    > As you can see both partition types 0x07 and 0x17 are IFS which can be
    > OS/2's HPFS, Windows NTFS, Advanced Unix or QNX2.X(pre-1988). Type 0x07 is
    > not hidden and type 0x17 is hidden.
    >
    > man cfdisk
    >
    > Oppps..... sorry I see you uninstalled LILO (lilo -u) and erased Linux.
    >
    > Boot from the CD into the recovery console and type fixmbr and maybe
    > fixboot.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314058
    >

    > Or try; http://www.partition-manager.com/
    >
    > Your problem is not Linux but rather your lack of understanding and
    > troubleshooting abilities. It sounds like you were using LILO to hide the
    > Windows partitions for some reason and forgot to unhide them before
    > removing both LILO and Linux, Good Luck!!!!

    Thanks for your answer, I think it will help.
    I'm quite sure the source of my problems is my lack of knoledge and not Linux !

+ Reply to Thread