Lindows, Mandrake, Red Hat... need help ! (newbie) - Help

This is a discussion on Lindows, Mandrake, Red Hat... need help ! (newbie) - Help ; I have been doing a lot of research over the past few days on the world of Linux. I did not realize that there were so many different versions. Today, I just heard about Lindows--it sounds great, but from what ...

  1. Lindows, Mandrake, Red Hat... need help ! (newbie)

    I have been doing a lot of research over the past few days on the world of
    Linux. I did not realize that there were so many different versions. Today,
    I just heard about Lindows--it sounds great, but from what I read, I will
    not have any ability to change the interface like I would with a Red Hat or
    Mandrake

    As you can tell, I am very new to the world of Linux, and I am very eager to
    learn more about it. For a person who has been in windows all of their life
    (with the exception of a Unix class that I took years ago), what version of
    Linux would you recommend? I guess I would like a system that would not
    "overload" me in the begining (a Linux program with a friendly windows-type
    interface), but at the same time have the ability to "grow with me" in my
    learning curve in Linux.

    Thank you very much for your respose to my message!

  2. Re: Lindows, Mandrake, Red Hat... need help ! (newbie)

    "dsterling1" wrote in message news:...
    > As you can tell, I am very new to the world of Linux, and I am very eager to
    > learn more about it.

    [snip]
    > I guess I would like a system that would not
    > "overload" me in the begining (a Linux program with a friendly windows-type
    > interface), but at the same time have the ability to "grow with me" in my
    > learning curve in Linux.

    If you want to learn, something like Slackware is great. If you want
    to be spoonfed then probably Mandrake would be your best bet. If
    you're too scared to install, use a live CD (like slackware live) -
    you just burn a CD, put it in, and boot!

    A great list of Linux distributions can be found here:
    http://www.distrowatch.com

+ Reply to Thread