HELP ! NTFS partitions unreadable after linux install. HELP ! (Linux Newbie) - Help

This is a discussion on HELP ! NTFS partitions unreadable after linux install. HELP ! (Linux Newbie) - Help ; Hi, I was running Windows XP with no problems, with a 40GB IBM HD partitioned as follows -OS (Windows XP Pro) on partition D: -Program files on partition C: -3 other partitions, for data storage E:, F:, H: After installing ...

  1. HELP ! NTFS partitions unreadable after linux install. HELP ! (Linux Newbie)

    Hi,
    I was running Windows XP with no problems, with a 40GB IBM HD partitioned as
    follows
    -OS (Windows XP Pro) on partition D:
    -Program files on partition C:
    -3 other partitions, for data storage E:, F:, H:
    After installing Linux (mandrake 8.0, with Lilo for multiboot) on a
    separate 40 GB HD, I lost access to my C: and E: partitions.

    This means I boot fine to XP (through LILO), but I can't access to drives C: and E:.
    I do see them, with the storage disc management utility of XP.
    They show up, with right size and used space, and right volume name
    but :
    - Without a letter (unmountable)
    - and with "unknown partition".

    With the Linux partition tool, my unmountable C and E drives appear as follows :
    hda2 (and hda3),
    Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17)
    start : gives a reasonable number
    Size : gives the correct size
    Cylinders : looks right too.

    I uninstalled LILO (lilo -u) and erased Linux, ran chkdsk /f, but it didn't
    help.
    How can I access to my Data again ???

    Thanks for any help !

  2. Re: HELP ! NTFS partitions unreadable after linux install. HELP ! (Linux Newbie)

    Has anyone got a clue?..

    gregoire.smith@libertysurf.fr (delmouly) wrote in message news:<9bf2d33e.0312071202.7f872d49@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    > I was running Windows XP with no problems, with a 40GB IBM HD partitioned as
    > follows
    > -OS (Windows XP Pro) on partition D:
    > -Program files on partition C:
    > -3 other partitions, for data storage E:, F:, H:
    > After installing Linux (mandrake 8.0, with Lilo for multiboot) on a
    > separate 40 GB HD, I lost access to my C: and E: partitions.
    >
    > This means I boot fine to XP (through LILO), but I can't access to drives C: and E:.
    > I do see them, with the storage disc management utility of XP.
    > They show up, with right size and used space, and right volume name
    > but :
    > - Without a letter (unmountable)
    > - and with "unknown partition".
    >
    > With the Linux partition tool, my unmountable C and E drives appear as follows :
    > hda2 (and hda3),
    > Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17)
    > start : gives a reasonable number
    > Size : gives the correct size
    > Cylinders : looks right too.
    >
    > I uninstalled LILO (lilo -u) and erased Linux, ran chkdsk /f, but it didn't
    > help.
    > How can I access to my Data again ???
    >
    > Thanks for any help !

  3. Re: HELP ! NTFS partitions unreadable after linux install. HELP ! (Linux Newbie)

    gregoire.smith@libertysurf.fr (delmouly) wrote in message news:<9bf2d33e.0312090340.2441a00c@posting.google.com>...
    > Has anyone got a clue?..
    >

    > gregoire.smith@libertysurf.fr (delmouly) wrote in message news:<9bf2d33e.0312071202.7f872d49@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi,
    > > I was running Windows XP with no problems, with a 40GB IBM HD partitioned as
    > > follows
    > > -OS (Windows XP Pro) on partition D:
    > > -Program files on partition C:
    > > -3 other partitions, for data storage E:, F:, H:
    > > After installing Linux (mandrake 8.0, with Lilo for multiboot) on a
    > > separate 40 GB HD, I lost access to my C: and E: partitions.
    > >
    > > This means I boot fine to XP (through LILO), but I can't access to drives C: and E:.
    > > I do see them, with the storage disc management utility of XP.
    > > They show up, with right size and used space, and right volume name
    > > but :
    > > - Without a letter (unmountable)
    > > - and with "unknown partition".
    > >
    > > With the Linux partition tool, my unmountable C and E drives appear as follows :
    > > hda2 (and hda3),
    > > Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17)
    > > start : gives a reasonable number
    > > Size : gives the correct size
    > > Cylinders : looks right too.
    > >
    > > I uninstalled LILO (lilo -u) and erased Linux, ran chkdsk /f, but it didn't
    > > help.
    > > How can I access to my Data again ???
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help !

    Really no help???

  4. Re: HELP ! NTFS partitions unreadable after linux install. HELP ! (Linux Newbie)

    > > Has anyone got a clue?..
    > >

    > > gregoire.smith@libertysurf.fr (delmouly) wrote in message news:<9bf2d33e.0312071202.7f872d49@posting.google.com>...
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I was running Windows XP with no problems, with a 40GB IBM HD partitioned as
    > > > follows
    > > > -OS (Windows XP Pro) on partition D:
    > > > -Program files on partition C:
    > > > -3 other partitions, for data storage E:, F:, H:
    > > > After installing Linux (mandrake 8.0, with Lilo for multiboot) on a
    > > > separate 40 GB HD, I lost access to my C: and E: partitions.
    > > >
    > > > This means I boot fine to XP (through LILO), but I can't access to drives C: and E:.
    > > > I do see them, with the storage disc management utility of XP.
    > > > They show up, with right size and used space, and right volume name
    > > > but :
    > > > - Without a letter (unmountable)
    > > > - and with "unknown partition".
    > > >
    > > > With the Linux partition tool, my unmountable C and E drives appear as follows :
    > > > hda2 (and hda3),
    > > > Type : Hidden IFS (e.g. HPFS)(0x17)
    > > > start : gives a reasonable number
    > > > Size : gives the correct size
    > > > Cylinders : looks right too.
    > > >
    > > > I uninstalled LILO (lilo -u) and erased Linux, ran chkdsk /f, but it didn't
    > > > help.
    > > > How can I access to my Data again ???
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help !

    > Really no help???

    Well I don't know if this will help your situation or hurt it. Boot
    from your windows XP CD and choose to repair a disk (I think that's
    what it is). You'll get to a DOS prompt eventually and type "help".
    You should get a big list with FIXMBR.EXE in it somewhere. If it's
    there just type "fixmbr". This is how I got my machine working again,
    but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if this is going to solve
    your problem at all...

    -Derek

+ Reply to Thread