burn in software - Help

This is a discussion on burn in software - Help ; Does anyone know of any good software to burn in pc's in linux. I am looking for something along the lines of burn in pro for windows. I would like to remaster Knoppix and be able to load it into ...

  1. burn in software

    Does anyone know of any good software to burn in pc's in linux. I am
    looking for something along the lines of burn in pro for windows. I
    would like to remaster Knoppix and be able to load it into new servers
    and "burn" them overnight.
    Thanks

  2. Re: burn in software

    On 2 Dec 2003 18:59:30 -0800, usinglinuxatwork@yahoo.com (usinglinuxatwork) wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any good software to burn in pc's in linux. I am
    > looking for something along the lines of burn in pro for windows. I
    > would like to remaster Knoppix and be able to load it into new servers
    > and "burn" them overnight.

    .... i'm clueless about winders software, so dont know the
    tool you're speaking of. to replicate machines, i'd recommend
    this: http://www.partimage.org/ (they appear to be down
    at the moment, but give it time)
    ..
    The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding
    bureaucracy.

  3. Re: burn in software

    "usinglinuxatwork" wrote in message
    news:f4a97e47.0312021859.15112307@posting.google.c om

    > Does anyone know of any good software to burn in pc's in linux. I am
    > looking for something along the lines of burn in pro for windows. I
    > would like to remaster Knoppix and be able to load it into new servers
    > and "burn" them overnight.

    Not sure what you mean by "burn in", other that to waste some of the MTBF on
    all the components while searching for failure modes.

    A well-configured and administered machine hasn't needed such measures for a
    great many years. You may wish to run "memtest86" http://www.memtest86.com/
    first, before installing the OS to accomplish your purpose as I understand
    it.

    tony

    --
    use hotmail for any email replies

  4. Re: burn in software

    Isn't "burn in" simply high use of CPU?

    Have u tried

    cd /usr/src/linux
    while (true) do
    make clean
    make bzImage modules
    end

    usinglinuxatwork wrote:
    > Does anyone know of any good software to burn in pc's in linux. I am
    > looking for something along the lines of burn in pro for windows. I
    > would like to remaster Knoppix and be able to load it into new servers
    > and "burn" them overnight.
    > Thanks

  5. Re: burn in software

    "usinglinuxatwork" wrote in message
    news:f4a97e47.0312021859.15112307@posting.google.c om...
    > Does anyone know of any good software to burn in pc's in linux. I am
    > looking for something along the lines of burn in pro for windows. I
    > would like to remaster Knoppix and be able to load it into new servers
    > and "burn" them overnight.
    > Thanks

    I'm not familiar with that s/w package, but if by "burn in" you are talking
    about performing h/w tests to weed out "infant mortality" problems there are
    really only two areas on which to focus - memory and non-removable storage.
    Of these, only the memory is readily testable without writing scripts or
    downloading utilities to perform the "torture tests" on drives.

    Memtest-86 is a very thorough test environment for memory. I generally run
    it 8-12 hours on any new (or new to me) memory. So far, none of the memory
    tested w/o errors has failed in use. Some is in boxes running over two
    years.

    Most hard drive manufacturers provide diagnostic programs for their
    products. These tools usually include a surface scan, sequential
    read/write, random read/write, and head positioning (exercising?)
    components. You may find that this will meet your objectives. Honestly, I
    only do this kind of testing on drives of unknown history. Even then, I
    don't run the tests more than two or three cycles which verifies
    functionality without undue wear and tear.

    JW

  6. Re: burn in software

    Michael Janich wrote:
    > Isn't "burn in" simply high use of CPU?
    >
    > Have u tried
    >
    > cd /usr/src/linux
    > while (true) do
    > make clean
    > make bzImage modules
    > end

    thats as good a burn in i have ever seen. also memtest.

    non-moving parts really dont need much burn-in, these days electronics
    in computers reach their normal temperature in under a minute.

    cl

+ Reply to Thread