Networking (DNS) problem - already RTFM, need further assistance - Help

This is a discussion on Networking (DNS) problem - already RTFM, need further assistance - Help ; I'm having difficulties with Mandrake 9.2 and networking - I have a workaround that gets me working, but it's kludgy, so I'm looking for help. Here's what I've got at the moment - my /etc/resolv.conf file points to 127.0.0.1 as ...

  1. Networking (DNS) problem - already RTFM, need further assistance

    I'm having difficulties with Mandrake 9.2 and networking - I have a
    workaround that gets me working, but it's kludgy, so I'm looking for help.

    Here's what I've got at the moment - my /etc/resolv.conf file points to
    127.0.0.1 as it's first source for a nameserver:

    [root@localhost etc]# cat resolv.conf
    search rchdsn1.tx.home.com local
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 24.4.48.33
    nameserver 24.4.48.34
    nameserver 204.127.202.4

    As I'm not running named on my machine, this doesn't work (not sure) - I get
    a SERVFAIL:

    [root@localhost etc]# host www.io.com
    ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 127.0.0.1, trying next server
    www.io.com has address 199.170.88.21
    www.io.com has address 199.170.88.39
    www.io.com has address 199.170.88.41

    So the kludgy fix is to comment out that line in resolv.conf:

    [root@localhost etc]# cat resolv.conf
    search rchdsn1.tx.home.com local
    #nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 24.4.48.33
    nameserver 24.4.48.34
    nameserver 204.127.202.4

    Since it's able to find an address from the servers later in the sequence,
    why am I unable to connect when the loopback is in the sequence of servers
    to check? Does a SERVFAIL terminate further checking of the other
    nameservers? The 'host' command would seem to indicate not, but I can't
    connect with anything else via names (although IP addresses work fine, so
    I've got some limited networking, DNS just isn't working).

    However, every time I reboot, resolv.conf is changed to make that line
    active again. I'm not sure why that is happening - if it's a quirk of
    Mandrake, or if I've missed something else. I was under the impression
    that resolv.conf was the file to edit to control where DNS lookups went.

    Anyway - any assistance, hints, or comments (snide or otherwise will be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Tim

  2. Re: Networking (DNS) problem - already RTFM, need further assistance

    Um, do you bind listening in on 127.0.0.1 or is it listening in on the
    IP address of your network interface?

    Have you got named running as a daemon, or is it running through inetd?
    If named is running on 127.0.0.1 you'll see if if you enter the command
    lsof -i@127.0.0.1

    Note: to see everything that's listening on a port, use

    lsof -i4

    Chris

    Tim Isakson wrote:
    > I'm having difficulties with Mandrake 9.2 and networking - I have a
    > workaround that gets me working, but it's kludgy, so I'm looking for help.
    >
    > Here's what I've got at the moment - my /etc/resolv.conf file points to
    > 127.0.0.1 as it's first source for a nameserver:
    >
    > [root@localhost etc]# cat resolv.conf
    > search rchdsn1.tx.home.com local
    > nameserver 127.0.0.1
    > nameserver 24.4.48.33
    > nameserver 24.4.48.34
    > nameserver 204.127.202.4
    >
    > As I'm not running named on my machine, this doesn't work (not sure) - I get
    > a SERVFAIL:
    >
    > [root@localhost etc]# host www.io.com
    > ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 127.0.0.1, trying next server
    > www.io.com has address 199.170.88.21
    > www.io.com has address 199.170.88.39
    > www.io.com has address 199.170.88.41
    >
    > So the kludgy fix is to comment out that line in resolv.conf:
    >
    > [root@localhost etc]# cat resolv.conf
    > search rchdsn1.tx.home.com local
    > #nameserver 127.0.0.1
    > nameserver 24.4.48.33
    > nameserver 24.4.48.34
    > nameserver 204.127.202.4
    >
    > Since it's able to find an address from the servers later in the sequence,
    > why am I unable to connect when the loopback is in the sequence of servers
    > to check? Does a SERVFAIL terminate further checking of the other
    > nameservers? The 'host' command would seem to indicate not, but I can't
    > connect with anything else via names (although IP addresses work fine, so
    > I've got some limited networking, DNS just isn't working).
    >
    > However, every time I reboot, resolv.conf is changed to make that line
    > active again. I'm not sure why that is happening - if it's a quirk of
    > Mandrake, or if I've missed something else. I was under the impression
    > that resolv.conf was the file to edit to control where DNS lookups went.
    >
    > Anyway - any assistance, hints, or comments (snide or otherwise will be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Tim

+ Reply to Thread