Virtual hosting with squirrelmail & apache - Help

This is a discussion on Virtual hosting with squirrelmail & apache - Help ; Hi, I'm looking for some help with Virtual hosting on apache but with Squirrelmail installed (Debian 3). I can't seem to virtual host anything except the squirrelmail. Apache was downloaded when I apt-get installed squirrelmail and setup default config for ...

  1. Virtual hosting with squirrelmail & apache

    Hi, I'm looking for some help with Virtual hosting on apache but with
    Squirrelmail installed (Debian 3). I can't seem to virtual host anything
    except the squirrelmail.

    Apache was downloaded when I apt-get installed squirrelmail and setup
    default config for apache including apache ssl and I noticed at the bottom
    of httpd.conf after virtual hosts that it points to "Include
    /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf".

    If I try virtual hosting in /etc/apache/httpd.conf I get the error " [warn]
    _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 80, the first has precedence" and I
    assume the first virtual host is in "Include /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf"
    which is basically the squirrelmail login page. If I comment out "Include
    /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf" in /etc/apache/httpd.conf and enter nothing
    then http requests still somehow go straight to the squirrelmail login
    page!

    Anyone have an idea how I can keep the squirrelmail login page but also
    virtual host websites on apache without the conflict occuring and only
    displaying squirrelmail's login?

    Paul

  2. Re: Virtual hosting with squirrelmail & apache

    Paul B wrote:
    > Hi, I'm looking for some help with Virtual hosting on apache but with
    > Squirrelmail installed (Debian 3). I can't seem to virtual host anything
    > except the squirrelmail.
    >
    > Apache was downloaded when I apt-get installed squirrelmail and setup
    > default config for apache including apache ssl and I noticed at the bottom
    > of httpd.conf after virtual hosts that it points to "Include
    > /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf".
    >
    > If I try virtual hosting in /etc/apache/httpd.conf I get the error " [warn]
    > _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port 80, the first has precedence" and I
    > assume the first virtual host is in "Include /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf"
    > which is basically the squirrelmail login page. If I comment out "Include
    > /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf" in /etc/apache/httpd.conf and enter nothing
    > then http requests still somehow go straight to the squirrelmail login
    > page!

    The problem is that you have two virtual hosts that tries to use the same port
    and hostname, this makes a conflict that only can be resolved by removing one
    of them (guess the both has ).

    When settign up virtual hosts in apache, you can't have a "default" host, all
    hosts must be a virtual host. Usually the first virtual host will become the
    default one (depends a bit on your settings).

    > Anyone have an idea how I can keep the squirrelmail login page but also
    > virtual host websites on apache without the conflict occuring and only
    > displaying squirrelmail's login?

    You need only create a virtual host for squirrelmail that has it root
    directory where the location of the squirrelmail files are. I do suggest you
    allow only connections to the squirrelmail virtualhost over ssl, as users will
    be otherwise sending login/pass as plain text, which could be snapped up by
    someone and then use those to gain access to your host.

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread