Host name change - Help

This is a discussion on Host name change - Help ; How can I change the host name of my computer, currently it is my ip address....

  1. Host name change

    How can I change the host name of my computer, currently it is my ip address.

  2. Re: Host name change

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:25:29 -0800, julio wrote:

    > How can I change the host name of my computer, currently it is my ip
    > address.

    from the shell prompt as root,

    hostname foo

    for a more permenant change edit /etc/hostname with your favorite text
    editor.

    --
    -Geoff

  3. Re: Host name change

    thank you

  4. Re: Host name change

    Geoffrey King wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:25:29 -0800, julio wrote:
    >
    > > How can I change the host name of my computer, currently it is my ip
    > > address.

    > from the shell prompt as root,
    >
    > hostname foo
    >
    > for a more permenant change edit /etc/hostname with your favorite text
    > editor.

    For an even more permanent fix ...

    On my RedHat (multiple versions) and Fedora Core systems, and I would
    guess on at least some other systems as well, this fix will only last
    until your next reboot (which, admittedly could be a very long time,
    since you run Linux). This is because /etc/hostname gets overwritten
    with data from elsewhere on reboot. (and runlevel change too?) In
    fact, my more recent installations don't even have an /etc/hostname
    file.

    So you also should look at some other files:

    /etc/sysconfig/network
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/*/network

    If you have a handy gui configuration tool (similar to my
    redhat-config-network)
    you can run that. If your experience is like mine, you'll then have to
    sift through these /etc... files anyway to figure out what the h311 it
    really did.

  5. Re: Host name change

    keep it simple.

    'man hostname'

    their are so many different names it depends on which you are after.

    cl

+ Reply to Thread