Cannot execute binary file - Help

This is a discussion on Cannot execute binary file - Help ; Before I say anything else, let me say I'm running Slackware 9.1. I cannot execute di604_firmware_220.bin. I've made it executable (chmod +x filename), and when I run file di604*, I get this: di604_firmware_220.bin: ARJ archive data, v6, slash-switched, original name: ...

  1. Cannot execute binary file

    Before I say anything else, let me say I'm running Slackware 9.1.

    I cannot execute di604_firmware_220.bin. I've made it executable (chmod
    +x filename), and when I run file di604*, I get this:

    di604_firmware_220.bin: ARJ archive data, v6, slash-switched, original name: NML.ARJ, os:
    MS-DOS

    Even though it says MS-DOS for the OS, the dlink site
    (http://dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=62&pv=16) it's said to be for
    windows, mac, and linux. Also, file told me 'twas ARJ archive data, so I
    downloaded and installed arj. When I used arj on di604_firmware*, it
    extracted a file named NML.MEM. The file utility simply calls that file
    "data". When I try to ./NML.MEM, it says what this thread's subject
    says. I chmod +x NML.MEM, too.

    I really don't know what else to say, usenet friends. I really want to
    install this firmware.

    Thanks,
    Naota

  2. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    Naota wrote:
    > Before I say anything else, let me say I'm running Slackware 9.1.
    >
    > I cannot execute di604_firmware_220.bin. I've made it executable (chmod
    > +x filename), and when I run file di604*, I get this:
    >
    > di604_firmware_220.bin: ARJ archive data, v6, slash-switched, original name: NML.ARJ, os:
    > MS-DOS
    >
    > Even though it says MS-DOS for the OS, the dlink site
    > (http://dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=62&pv=16) it's said to be for
    > windows, mac, and linux. Also, file told me 'twas ARJ archive data, so I
    > downloaded and installed arj. When I used arj on di604_firmware*, it
    > extracted a file named NML.MEM. The file utility simply calls that file
    > "data". When I try to ./NML.MEM, it says what this thread's subject
    > says. I chmod +x NML.MEM, too.
    >
    > I really don't know what else to say, usenet friends. I really want to
    > install this firmware.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Naota

    It's not an executable file, it's a binary image that gets loaded into
    the di604 hardware by an 'update' executable that is either built in or
    available from D-Link.
    RonS

  3. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    Naota wrote:
    > Before I say anything else, let me say I'm running Slackware 9.1.
    >
    > I cannot execute di604_firmware_220.bin. I've made it executable (chmod
    > +x filename), and when I run file di604*, I get this:
    >
    > di604_firmware_220.bin: ARJ archive data, v6, slash-switched, original name: NML.ARJ, os:
    > MS-DOS
    >
    > Even though it says MS-DOS for the OS, the dlink site
    > (http://dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=62&pv=16) it's said to be for
    > windows, mac, and linux. Also, file told me 'twas ARJ archive data, so I
    > downloaded and installed arj. When I used arj on di604_firmware*, it
    > extracted a file named NML.MEM. The file utility simply calls that file
    > "data". When I try to ./NML.MEM, it says what this thread's subject
    > says. I chmod +x NML.MEM, too.
    >
    > I really don't know what else to say, usenet friends. I really want to
    > install this firmware.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Naota

    I decided to look at the D-Link site - follow the instructions that were
    shown on the 'update' page and copied below:
    RonS
    Step 1 Download the firmware and save the file to your computer. If you
    downloaded a ZIP file, extract it to a folder where you can find it. An
    easy place to find it is your desktop. If you download the .bin file,
    you do not have to extract it.

    * Download firmware here.
    * How do I extract a ZIP file?

    WARNING: DO NOT upgrade the firmware with a wireless connection. You
    will damage the router.

    Step 2 Open your browser, enter the IP address of your router
    (192.168.0.1) and click OK.

    Step 3 Enter your username (admin) and leave the password field blank,
    which is the default password. Click OK to enter the web configuration
    for the device.

    Step 4 Click on the Tools tab and then the Firmware button on the left
    side. Click on the Browse button and browse to the .bin file you
    extracted in Step 1. Highlight the file by clicking on it once and click
    Open. Click Apply. It will take a few seconds for the upgrade to
    complete. Click on the Continue button.

  4. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:17:30 +0000, Ron Springer wrote:

    'Tis funny. I behaved foolishly, not first reading. I assumed the binary
    file was to be treated as one. Actually read what you wrote after
    scratching my head long enough.

    Okay, but the configuration program hangs after I load the firmware; I've
    no way of knowing whether or not it's made a difference. I let it hang
    for an hour.

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  5. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:59:39 +0000, Ron Springer wrote:

    > It's not an executable file, it's a binary image that gets loaded into
    > the di604 hardware by an 'update' executable that is either built in or
    > available from D-Link.

    Thanks much. Now I just need to get the dlink configurator app to stop
    hanging after I load the firmware.

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  6. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    Naota wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:17:30 +0000, Ron Springer wrote:
    >
    > 'Tis funny. I behaved foolishly, not first reading. I assumed the binary
    > file was to be treated as one. Actually read what you wrote after
    > scratching my head long enough.

    'executable' files can always be considered 'binary', but 'binary' files
    are seldom 'executable'. Unless a file has been -renamed-, the '.bin'
    extension generally indicates some sort of 'image' file (disk, memory,
    etc). I frequently -rename- suspected virus '.exe' files to '.bin' while
    I analyse them to prevent accidental execution.

    > Okay, but the configuration program hangs after I load the firmware; I've
    > no way of knowing whether or not it's made a difference. I let it hang
    > for an hour.

    Can't help you much here without significant additional information
    about the browser you are using and details of the point at which it hangs.

    RonS

  7. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:39:13 GMT, Ron Springer
    wrote:

    >'executable' files can always be considered 'binary',

    But are sometimes text files. Any shell script becomes executable
    after chmod +x.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  8. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    Ron Springer wrote:
    > etc). I frequently -rename- suspected virus '.exe' files to '.bin' while
    > I analyse them to prevent accidental execution.

    chmod -x filename

    Oh wait, you must be talking about a "different" OS...

  9. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
    > Ron Springer wrote:
    >
    >> etc). I frequently -rename- suspected virus '.exe' files to '.bin'
    >> while I analyse them to prevent accidental execution.

    > chmod -x filename
    >
    > Oh wait, you must be talking about a "different" OS...

    Yes! Unfortunately, I 'volunteer' to maintain a network of 23 WinXP
    machines :>(

  10. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:26:11 -0600, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:

    > Ron Springer wrote:
    >> etc). I frequently -rename- suspected virus '.exe' files to '.bin' while
    >> I analyse them to prevent accidental execution.

    > chmod -x filename

    When I started this thread, I noted that I did chmod +x filename.
    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  11. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:39:13 +0000, Ron Springer wrote:

    > Naota wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:17:30 +0000, Ron Springer wrote:
    >>
    >> 'Tis funny. I behaved foolishly, not first reading. I assumed the binary
    >> file was to be treated as one. Actually read what you wrote after
    >> scratching my head long enough.
    >>

    > 'executable' files can always be considered 'binary', but 'binary' files
    > are seldom 'executable'. Unless a file has been -renamed-, the '.bin'
    > extension generally indicates some sort of 'image' file (disk, memory,
    > etc). I frequently -rename- suspected virus '.exe' files to '.bin' while
    > I analyse them to prevent accidental execution.
    >
    >> Okay, but the configuration program hangs after I load the firmware; I've
    >> no way of knowing whether or not it's made a difference. I let it hang
    >> for an hour.
    >>

    > Can't help you much here without significant additional information
    > about the browser you are using and details of the point at which it hangs.

    I was using netscape. It seems to hang instantly. The router's a dlink
    di-604. Not sure of what else I can say.

    --
    naSota@tPampabay.rAr.cMom - > (remove 'S P A M')

  12. Re: Cannot execute binary file

    > WARNING: DO NOT upgrade the firmware with a wireless connection. You
    > will damage the router.

    Yikes!!!

+ Reply to Thread