Toshiba 610CT - 16 MB RAM - 700 MB HD - Linux Config - Help

This is a discussion on Toshiba 610CT - 16 MB RAM - 700 MB HD - Linux Config - Help ; I have the system listed in the subject line (currently with Windows 95 installed). It has a floppy drive (no CDROM drive) and a couple of PCMCIA slots. I was thinking I'd like to try to setting up a minimal ...

  1. Toshiba 610CT - 16 MB RAM - 700 MB HD - Linux Config

    I have the system listed in the subject line (currently with Windows
    95 installed). It has a floppy drive (no CDROM drive) and a couple of
    PCMCIA slots.

    I was thinking I'd like to try to setting up a minimal linux install
    on it. I doubt I could run X on it but perhaps with a NIC I could use
    it for email, newsgroups, lynx, etc.

    Any advice you have on setting up something useful with this little
    laptop would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Toshiba 610CT - 16 MB RAM - 700 MB HD - Linux Config

    carlos seramos wrote:
    > I have the system listed in the subject line (currently with Windows
    > 95 installed). It has a floppy drive (no CDROM drive) and a couple of
    > PCMCIA slots.
    >
    > I was thinking I'd like to try to setting up a minimal linux install
    > on it. I doubt I could run X on it but perhaps with a NIC I could use
    > it for email, newsgroups, lynx, etc.
    >
    > Any advice you have on setting up something useful with this little
    > laptop would be appreciated.

    I suggest you go over to freshmeat.net and search fro floppy distros, think
    there was a distro on 2 1.44MB floppies which had X included.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Toshiba 610CT - 16 MB RAM - 700 MB HD - Linux Config

    carlos seramos wrote:

    > I have the system listed in the subject line (currently with Windows
    > 95 installed). It has a floppy drive (no CDROM drive) and a couple of
    > PCMCIA slots.
    >
    > I was thinking I'd like to try to setting up a minimal linux install
    > on it. I doubt I could run X on it but perhaps with a NIC I could use
    > it for email, newsgroups, lynx, etc.
    >
    > Any advice you have on setting up something useful with this little
    > laptop would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Either Slackware 4.0 or Tiny Linux (based on slack 4.0)

    ftp://ftp.slackware.com

    http://tiny.seul.org/en/

    --
    -alex49201

  4. Re: Toshiba 610CT - 16 MB RAM - 700 MB HD - Linux Config

    carlos seramos wrote:
    > I have the system listed in the subject line (currently with Windows
    > 95 installed). It has a floppy drive (no CDROM drive) and a couple of
    > PCMCIA slots.
    >
    > I was thinking I'd like to try to setting up a minimal linux install
    > on it. I doubt I could run X on it but perhaps with a NIC I could use
    > it for email, newsgroups, lynx, etc.
    >
    > Any advice you have on setting up something useful with this little
    > laptop would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    I have a Toshiba 110CS with 16 MB ram and about 800 MB hard drive. A
    friend gave it to me about a year ago (no cdrom). I install debian
    potatoe with a 2.2.20 kernel about 12 months ago. I use lynx on it. On
    the install I created a couple diskettes and did a install from the
    debian web site (It helps if you have a hi speed link like dsl). This
    is a command line only system without X. The slowest process is
    running dselect on it.. takes forever to load with alot of disk
    thrashing and disk swapping. My workaround is to research the
    packages and read the descriptions from the web site and then do a
    apt-get install package name when I decide on a package to install.

    Here is a link for some interesting reading

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl...ksel-size-list

    and this link:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/installguide/

    have fun!