Downloading SuSE Linux Server Products - Help

This is a discussion on Downloading SuSE Linux Server Products - Help ; Hmmm. I've never used Linux, but am curious to learn about it as I despise Microsoft. My understanding is that all Linux variations are open source and community license. So, essentially, they are all free of charge. I know you ...

  1. Downloading SuSE Linux Server Products

    Hmmm. I've never used Linux, but am curious to learn about it as I despise
    Microsoft.

    My understanding is that all Linux variations are open source and community
    license. So, essentially, they are all free of charge.

    I know you can download RedHat Desktop. You can also download RedHat
    Advanced and Enterprise Server OSes from RedHat.

    I know you can download SuSE desktop OS. But I see no way to download the
    Server products from SuSE.

    Am I correct that you actually have to pay $750 to get SuSE server OSes?
    If so, doesn't that violate the open source license? If not, what is there
    about SuSE server products that enables them to not provide it for free.

    Again, I'm new to Linux. I am not completely familiar with open source
    licensing issues and obligations to provide OS software sourcecode for
    free.

    If anyone can provide any clarification, I'd get most appreciative.

    Thanks,

    Lemmy

  2. Re: Downloading SuSE Linux Server Products

    mjt wrote in
    news:1GEvb.13387$Rk5.6431@newsread1.news.atl.earth link.net:

    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 03:37:26 GMT, Lemmy wrote:
    >
    >> I know you can download SuSE desktop OS. But I see no way to
    >> download the Server products from SuSE.
    >>
    >> Am I correct that you actually have to pay $750 to get SuSE server
    >> OSes? If so, doesn't that violate the open source license? If not,
    >> what is there about SuSE server products that enables them to not
    >> provide it for free

    > .... you're misinterpreting 'intellectually free' with the
    > other free, as in 'no cost'. open source doesnt imply free
    > (no cost), but the source must be made available
    > .

    OK. If that's the case, then SuSE must make the source code available for
    their Server OSes, correct? (I'm assuming there is a difference between
    the SuSE Linux Desktop and Server versions other than packaging and
    support.)

    However, I could find no way to DL the Server OS source code off of
    suse.com. RedHat, for example, has no direct link to DL their 2.1 Advanced
    Server source code. But you can get to it by going up through the
    directory structure on their FTP server.

    Is SuSE Server product source code available for download anywhere?

    Thanks for your reply.

    Lemmy

  3. Re: Downloading SuSE Linux Server Products

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:07:22 GMT, Lemmy wrote:

    >OK. If that's the case, then SuSE must make the source code available for
    >their Server OSes, correct? (I'm assuming there is a difference between
    >the SuSE Linux Desktop and Server versions other than packaging and
    >support.)

    I'd expect it to be on the install CDs. That way, it's available to
    anybody that buys a copy, as the GPL requires, but not to J. Random
    Luser, something that's not required. If it were available to
    anybody, nobody in their right mind would pay for it.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  4. Re: Downloading SuSE Linux Server Products

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:07:22 GMT, Lemmy wrote:

    > s SuSE Server product source code available for download anywhere?

    .... yes, you download it off the CDs when you purchase
    the product
    ..
    "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if
    it is lightly greased." - Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"

  5. Re: Downloading SuSE Linux Server Products

    Joe Zeff wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:07:22 GMT, Lemmy wrote:
    >
    >>OK. If that's the case, then SuSE must make the source code available for
    >>their Server OSes, correct? (I'm assuming there is a difference between
    >>the SuSE Linux Desktop and Server versions other than packaging and
    >>support.)

    > I'd expect it to be on the install CDs. That way, it's available to
    > anybody that buys a copy, as the GPL requires, but not to J. Random
    > Luser, something that's not required. If it were available to
    > anybody, nobody in their right mind would pay for it.

    Just to clear up a little point here:

    You only have to give your source code to those people who you gave the
    binaries to for the cost of distribution. Most compaies will give the
    source code on the CD's.

    You don't have to give either the binaries or the source code away for free.

    Ta.

+ Reply to Thread