X has gone crazy Part II - all apps very slow to start - Help

This is a discussion on X has gone crazy Part II - all apps very slow to start - Help ; Env: RH 6.0 For the past four years my Linux box has performed flawlessly. No reboots needed, no hung processes, etc. But then I don't stress it too much, either. Regardless, startx would start up an X session and KDE. ...

  1. X has gone crazy Part II - all apps very slow to start

    Env: RH 6.0

    For the past four years my Linux box has performed flawlessly. No reboots needed,
    no hung processes, etc. But then I don't stress it too much, either. Regardless,
    startx would start up an X session and KDE. The usual toolbar appeared at the bottom
    of the screen , clicking a menu would open the menu, etc. All very normal.

    Until SOMEthing happened. No change to hardware, RAM passes boot check.

    The next power-up->boot->startx cycle all went well, same as always.
    But then discovered all of my KDE apps would run!! The KDE toolbar appears immediately
    at the bottom of the screen as before, and I can click on any menu and select
    any choice from the menu as before. But now any selection I make takes 20 MINUTES
    to start. Once started they execute at normal speed, however.

    I quit X and tried a few Perl scripts from the command line, they executed at
    a normal speed. This hints the problem lies with X somehow.

    From the command line I tried "top" it showed nothing unusual. No zombies,
    no runaway processes.But this was after quitting the X session.

    So why are apps from within X now running so excrutiatingly slow? Any ideas?

    Please reply to the list so that others may learn.

    Steve B.

  2. Re: X has gone crazy Part II - all apps very slow to start

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:30:55 +0100 (CET), "privacy.at Anonymous
    Remailer" wrote:

    >So why are apps from within X now running so excrutiatingly slow? Any ideas?

    Open top in a terminal window and see what happens. BTW, why are you
    posting to this group through an anonymous service? Not that I mind,
    but it seems a bit over-cautious.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: X has gone crazy Part II - all apps very slow to start

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:02:36 GMT, Joe Zeff wrote:

    > BTW, why are you
    > posting to this group through an anonymous service?

    .... cause this person is a TROLL
    ..
    7:30, Channel 5: The Bionic Dog (Action/Adventure)
    The Bionic Dog drinks too much and kicks over the National
    Redwood Forest.

+ Reply to Thread