bytes switched in hexdump/khexedit - Help

This is a discussion on bytes switched in hexdump/khexedit - Help ; Hey, When I look at a file in hexdump, the bytes look like this: 3ceb 4d90 4453 534f 2e35 0030 0202 0001 But when I look at them in a graphical hex editor such as khex edit, they look like ...

  1. bytes switched in hexdump/khexedit

    Hey,

    When I look at a file in hexdump, the bytes look like this:

    3ceb 4d90 4453 534f 2e35 0030 0202 0001

    But when I look at them in a graphical hex editor such as khex edit,
    they look like this:

    eb3c 904d 5344 4f53 352e 3000 0202 0100

    I think this has to do something with endian-ness, but can't
    remember. Can someone point me to a good resource that explains it?
    (or explain it for me?)

    Thanks!

  2. Re: bytes switched in hexdump/khexedit

    On 21 Nov 2003 13:04:28 -0800, trevlix@yahoo.com (Tyler) wrote:

    > I think this has to do something with endian-ness

    .... your thought is correct. check the docs for both
    applications to see what the default are
    ..
    Hand, n.: A singular instrument worn at the end of a human
    arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket.

  3. Re: bytes switched in hexdump/khexedit

    Thanks. I looked in the docs for each, but found very little. I did
    a little research on the net which jogged my memory.

    Unless I'm mis-understanding it, bytes on Intel 86 machines are stored
    little endian, meaning least significant byte (LSB) first.

    It looks to me that khexedit will order them so I can read them
    correctly, while hexdump will show them to me as is.

    Thanks all!

    Tyler

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:43:34 GMT, mjt
    wrote:

    >On 21 Nov 2003 13:04:28 -0800, trevlix@yahoo.com (Tyler) wrote:
    >
    >> I think this has to do something with endian-ness

    >... your thought is correct. check the docs for both
    >applications to see what the default are
    >.

+ Reply to Thread