I'm using RedHat 9. The permissions in /mnt don't allow anybody but
the user to create new directories, or read them, just execute files.
Not only that, but even as the owner (root, of course) I can't change
that with chmod.

chmod a+r /mnt

doesn't change the permissions, and I can't change permissions of any
directory. This means that I can't even get the directory of a CD or
read any files on a floppy unless I'm root, or create a directory not
in /mnt to mout it in. Did RedHat set the imutable bit on this? If
so, how can I change it? If not, what's wrong?

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns