cyrus imap on debian. Help! - Help

This is a discussion on cyrus imap on debian. Help! - Help ; Hoping someone can help me out with Cyrus imap on debian. I am still new to this and have never installed imap on anything. I got the cyrus though apt-get install and it installed but now what? Anyone know of ...

  1. cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    Hoping someone can help me out with Cyrus imap on debian. I am still new to
    this and have never installed imap on anything. I got the cyrus though
    apt-get install and it installed but now what? Anyone know of a tutorial
    site for Cyrus on Debian or some docs on how to get it working? (basically
    I'm trying to run Cyrus and then add squirrelmail on top of that, using
    Debian's Woody).

    - Paul

  2. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:48:48 +0000, Paul B wrote:

    > Hoping someone can help me out with Cyrus imap on debian. I am still
    > new to this and have never installed imap on anything. I got the
    > cyrus though apt-get install and it installed but now what?

    See what it installed in /etc/init.d - it's bound to have a startup
    script there. If so, call it with the 'start' argument to start your
    IMAP server.

    > (basically I'm trying to run Cyrus and then add squirrelmail on top
    > of that, using Debian's Woody).

    I can also reccommend Courier IMAP. It's the one I use myself, and
    it's really wonderful. Running Squirrelmail on top of that was a piece
    of cake. Then again, if you get things working with Cycus, then we
    have proof that Squirrelmail works file with both (and I expect that
    to happen )

    Sybren
    --
    (o_ Q: God, root, what is difference?
    //\ A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.

  3. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    I'll give courier imap a try. Do you recommend any particular tutorial on
    how to configure it to work properly?

    - Paul

    "Sybren Stüvel" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.11.20.21.06.15.829829@YOURimagination.thir dtower.com...
    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:48:48 +0000, Paul B wrote:
    >
    > > Hoping someone can help me out with Cyrus imap on debian. I am still
    > > new to this and have never installed imap on anything. I got the
    > > cyrus though apt-get install and it installed but now what?

    > See what it installed in /etc/init.d - it's bound to have a startup
    > script there. If so, call it with the 'start' argument to start your
    > IMAP server.
    >
    > > (basically I'm trying to run Cyrus and then add squirrelmail on top
    > > of that, using Debian's Woody).

    > I can also reccommend Courier IMAP. It's the one I use myself, and
    > it's really wonderful. Running Squirrelmail on top of that was a piece
    > of cake. Then again, if you get things working with Cycus, then we
    > have proof that Squirrelmail works file with both (and I expect that
    > to happen )
    >
    > Sybren
    > --
    > (o_ Q: God, root, what is difference?
    > //\ A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.
    > V_/_

  4. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    Sybren Stüvel uttered the immortal words:

    >> (basically I'm trying to run Cyrus and then add squirrelmail on top
    >> of that, using Debian's Woody).

    > I can also reccommend Courier IMAP. It's the one I use myself, and
    > it's really wonderful. Running Squirrelmail on top of that was a piece
    > of cake. Then again, if you get things working with Cycus, then we
    > have proof that Squirrelmail works file with both (and I expect that
    > to happen )

    I'll second Courier IMAP. I looked at Cyrus but it looked like too much hard
    work to set up for what I wanted.

    Unless my memory has seriously faded, I only needed to type "apt-get install
    courier-imap" and it just worked. The hardest part was converting my mail
    from mbox format to MailDir format and that wasn't that hard :-)

    --
    Andy.

  5. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    Paul B uttered the immortal words:

    > I'll give courier imap a try. Do you recommend any particular tutorial on
    > how to configure it to work properly?

    As I said in my post, I don't remember having to do anything to configure
    it.

    --
    Andy.

  6. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    Thanks to all for the pointers so far. I know I am a real newbie but I have
    downloaded courier just now (apt-get install), squirrelmail is on as well
    and Exim was loaded when I installed Debian last night but how do I create
    the Maildir that is needed? Do I need to re-config Exim?

    - Paul

    (serious newbie)

    "Sybren Stüvel" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.11.20.21.35.26.663093@YOURimagination.thir dtower.com...
    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:30:45 +0000, Andy Fraser wrote:
    > > Unless my memory has seriously faded, I only needed to type "apt-get
    > > install courier-imap" and it just worked.

    > Same here
    >
    > > The hardest part was converting
    > > my mail from mbox format to MailDir format and that wasn't that hard :-)

    > I used QMail before, and Exim now as MTA, which both use Maildir anyway
    >
    > Sybren
    > --
    > (o_ Q: God, root, what is difference?
    > //\ A: God can change the byte order on the CPU, root can't.
    > V_/_

  7. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    Paul B uttered the immortal words:

    > Thanks to all for the pointers so far. I know I am a real newbie but I
    > have downloaded courier just now (apt-get install), squirrelmail is on as
    > well and Exim was loaded when I installed Debian last night but how do I
    > create the Maildir that is needed? Do I need to re-config Exim?

    Exim will create the directories it needs when it delivers mail and Courier
    will just read them.

    --
    Andy.

  8. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    "Paul B" wrote in message
    news:VMavb.3501$H8X1.986@twister01.bloor.is.net.ca ble.rogers.com...
    > Thanks to all for the pointers so far. I know I am a real newbie but I

    have
    > downloaded courier just now (apt-get install), squirrelmail is on as well
    > and Exim was loaded when I installed Debian last night but how do I create
    > the Maildir that is needed? Do I need to re-config Exim?
    >
    > - Paul

    I run postfix/spamassassin/Cyrus IMAP/Sieve myself, so if you decide to
    stick with Cyrus, I can give you more help. I'm running it on RedHat8 but
    only postfix was installed as an RPM. SpamAssassin and Cyrus were built from
    source.

    Durk

  9. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    Ok, thanks to all for your ideas. I've got it running now and courier with
    squirrelmail is awesome! Thanks guys!

    Paul

    "Andy Fraser" wrote in message
    > Paul B uttered the immortal words:
    >
    > > Thanks to all for the pointers so far. I know I am a real newbie but I
    > > have downloaded courier just now (apt-get install), squirrelmail is on

    as
    > > well and Exim was loaded when I installed Debian last night but how do I
    > > create the Maildir that is needed? Do I need to re-config Exim?

    > Exim will create the directories it needs when it delivers mail and

    Courier
    > will just read them.
    >
    > --
    > Andy.

  10. Re: cyrus imap on debian. Help!

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:34:11 +0000, Paul wrote:

    > Ok, thanks to all for your ideas. I've got it running now and courier with
    > squirrelmail is awesome! Thanks guys!

    That's good to hear!

    Sybren
    --