X is acting crazy! need help - Help

This is a discussion on X is acting crazy! need help - Help ; hi, I have installed Suse 8.2 professional on a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1905). My video card is ATI Radeon Mobility M6. My problem is that sometimes when I start linux, X is acting wiered. Upon starting Linux suse takes me ...

  1. X is acting crazy! need help

    hi, I have installed Suse 8.2 professional on a laptop (Toshiba
    Satellite 1905). My video card is ATI Radeon Mobility M6.

    My problem is that sometimes when I start linux, X is acting
    wiered. Upon starting Linux suse takes me straight to login and start
    X. But sometimes there are lines moving left to right and the screen
    is divided into 2. My only solution is to hit Ctrl,Alt & Blackspace
    and it restart X. Sometimes I have to hit that 2 or 3 times but today
    I had to do it like 8 or 9 times and it is frustrating. Once I log
    into Kde everything is fine. Beside is little problem Suse is running
    rock solid.

    Thanks in advanced.

  2. Re: X is acting crazy! need help

    Maredia, A wrote:

    > hi, I have installed Suse 8.2 professional on a laptop (Toshiba
    > Satellite 1905). My video card is ATI Radeon Mobility M6.
    >
    > My problem is that sometimes when I start linux, X is acting
    > wiered. Upon starting Linux suse takes me straight to login and start
    > X. But sometimes there are lines moving left to right and the screen
    > is divided into 2. My only solution is to hit Ctrl,Alt & Blackspace
    > and it restart X. Sometimes I have to hit that 2 or 3 times but today
    > I had to do it like 8 or 9 times and it is frustrating. Once I log
    > into Kde everything is fine. Beside is little problem Suse is running
    > rock solid.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced.

    The only thing I can suggest is to look on the updates to see if you have the
    latest version of X and KDE, am nor sure if you might need to update.

    --
    Mark
    Twixt hill and high water.

  3. Re: X is acting crazy! need help

    I would suggest you look at your xf86config file and make sure that you have
    your video card and monitor properly configured. I have seen instances where
    the wrong settings will produce these effects. Sax2 should work fine in
    making the needed changes.

    John Oliver

    "Maredia, A" wrote in message
    news:b3ed946d.0311201221.68ee47fc@posting.google.c om...
    > hi, I have installed Suse 8.2 professional on a laptop (Toshiba
    > Satellite 1905). My video card is ATI Radeon Mobility M6.
    >
    > My problem is that sometimes when I start linux, X is acting
    > wiered. Upon starting Linux suse takes me straight to login and start
    > X. But sometimes there are lines moving left to right and the screen
    > is divided into 2. My only solution is to hit Ctrl,Alt & Blackspace
    > and it restart X. Sometimes I have to hit that 2 or 3 times but today
    > I had to do it like 8 or 9 times and it is frustrating. Once I log
    > into Kde everything is fine. Beside is little problem Suse is running
    > rock solid.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced.

  4. Re: X is acting crazy! need help

    > The only thing I can suggest is to look on the updates to see if you have the
    > latest version of X and KDE, am nor sure if you might need to update.

    yes I have the latest Xfree86. I don't think the problem is with
    KDE. I have searched around on Suse's website with no luck. Still
    waiting for more comments.

  5. Re: X is acting crazy! need help

    On 20 Nov 2003 12:21:34 -0800, anyo409@yahoo.com (Maredia, A) wrote:

    > hi, I have installed Suse 8.2 professional on a laptop (Toshiba
    > Satellite 1905). My video card is ATI Radeon Mobility M6

    get your h/w info, to include video card, horiz and vert
    frequency ranges, keybd, mouse, and use 'xf86config' to
    configure xfree. i find this works every time

    also, have you checked out: http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    ..
    God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.

  6. Re: X is acting crazy! need help

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:18:54 +1100, Maredia, A wrote:

    >> The only thing I can suggest is to look on the updates to see if you have the
    >> latest version of X and KDE, am nor sure if you might need to update.
    >>

    > yes I have the latest Xfree86. I don't think the problem is with
    > KDE. I have searched around on Suse's website with no luck. Still
    > waiting for more comments.

    Have you tried disabling DPMS? I have a somewhat similar problem with XFree86
    Version 4.2.1 and disabling the "off" setting cured it. eg:

    /usr/X11R6/bin/xset dpms 1200 1800 0

    --
    Avoid reality at all costs.
    $email =~ s/oz$/au/o;